Declaring self employment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetasanut69

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am new here so be kind please.
I work in a salon part time but have been building up my client base doing nails/waxing/eyelashes from home. Just wondered how important it is to declare what I am earning privatly and tell the council that I am using my home as a business etc as I know this may affect my council tax. Does anyone know anything about this? I just worry I may get in trouble if I don't do it all properly.
Thanks x:Scared:

Hi everyone,
I am new here so be kind please.
I work in a salon part time but have been building up my client base doing nails/waxing/eyelashes from home. Just wondered how important it is to declare what I am earning privatly and tell the council that I am using my home as a business etc as I know this may affect my council tax. Does anyone know anything about this? I just worry I may get in trouble if I don't do it all properly.
Thanks x:Scared:

It's very important !

How do I go about informing the council and are their any other steps I must take?

I am also employed too though. Oh it's so confusing! Will do research tonight. Thanks

I'm employed part time and am looking at properly setting up as self employed along side this.

I have just today booked myself on to a free 1 day course that is run jointly by my local council and a business enterprise company. The course is about how to become self employed and as part of it HMRC are going to be there too, so we can ask questions and find out how to do it all correctly. They run the course once a month.

I have found the local council, chamber of commerce or business link are good places to look for free help and advice. Maybe see if there's anything similar in your area.

I am employed, so u will need ur wage slips/p60 to say how much uve earnt, as ur self assesment needs to cover both ur employment and ur self employment.

U have 3 months to register so I'd do it as soon as poss, then they send u all the relivent codes for ur self assesment.

It is really important hun, I'd back date it. Not only that you can class all ur products as outgoings for ur business.

Last tax year it was around £7450 tax free allowance, as of april'12 you can earn £8,100 tax free, then anything over that u pay 20% tax... So if u put 20% of any takings into a pot (so to speak) you'd have enough for ur tax bill and probably alittle bit too much-so abit of savings to-cz its actually 20% tax of any profit u make.

As said above, contact ur local council and you may need a waste bin for ur business xx

Latest posts

Back