Deep 'C' curve natural nails??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiebbaby

Reaction score
HELP.....I done my step daughters nails this evening, and struggled because although she has lovely strong nails, with lovely long nail beds, she has a really deep 'C' curve to them, and did not necessarily need them lenghthining, but they were all diffrent lenghts. So I thought I would just lenghten them slightly (as she wanted them longer) and make them all one length.

So I thought I would just sculpt them,,easy... WRONG,,, how on earth do you put a form on these types of nails?? there was about a 2mm gap between the form and nail,, it took me hrs to do, and they were not as good as I would of liked. I f I would of had the time i would of just put tips on her and continued,, but there must be a way to sculpt on these types of nails,, she also has deep nail beds,,, Please help.

This week has really tried me, I had a girl with fan nails and I struggled with them, and ended up putting tips on them, and still struggled.

Your help would be greatly appreciated please xxx:irked:

I think you will find that she has "filbert" nails like me. Long nail bed, high 'c' curve and deep side walls. I'm sure someone here will help you. Take care. x

Thanks francesXXX xx

Not a problem :)

Also don't be afraid to tip nails like these, even if it just for evening up length, just make sure that choose the correct tips as they will have to allow for her deep sidewalls and not pop up when you apply them iykwim. CND velocity tips are ideal for this type of nail. :hug:

I have a set of velocity tips, which I was trained to use. I am just running ahead of myself I think, Dont get me wrong, I can sculpt on a form, but when I gey difficult nail shapes,, I get panicky. Whould it be wise to invest in some eclipse tips aswell???

Would you suggest until I become more confident in my sculpting, to just tip difficult nails??

Thanks hun xxx

It is entirely up to you hun, the thing about sculpting nails like this is it is always a learning curve and once you have done them, you will feel fantastic, however, what you have to remember is, there is no point getting stressed out, so your tips are always an option.

Why not, even try one sculpt on one of her nails by customising the form and if it doesn't happen then tip. Your client will always appreciate your honesty and feel special that you are making an effort to do her nails the best way you can.

You are going to be just fine, whatever way you do them. :hug:

Just to add, have a good selection of tips, as you are never sure of what nails are going to be put in front of you and there are certain nails that are best suited to tipping and some best suited to sculpting.

I think you will find that she has "filbert" nails like me. Long nail bed, high 'c' curve and deep side walls. I'm sure someone here will help you. Take care. x

Filbert nails are not what you have .. and you should be very pleased about that!! :green:

Filbert nails describe a nail shape that is very unsightly and nearly impossible to enhance. They are nails that look like the filbert nut (hazelnut). Wide, short nail bed, and curl right over the end of the finger.

These days, filbert does not describe the perfect nail shape but the distorted nail shape you see below.

Here are some pictures of filbert nails. If yours don't look like this they are not filbert nails.

Attachments

• filbert nail2.jpg
    filbert nail2.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 2,047
  • filbert nail.jpg
    filbert nail.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 2,280
Last edited:
i hand a lady with a very extreme natural c curve a few weeks ago. I found it quite hard to find tips that were deep enough....and that i didnt have to force the ears down on. I spend ages trying to size them up and in the end i just thought i would sculpt them.....they came out so much better for it. I do think when sculpting you need a decent form.... if you have decent forms then you are on to a good start. The best ones i have used are CND performance forms and the NFU.OH ones.....they stick and stay stuck and dont budge one in place.
I also take out the middle disc and stick it on the back of the form to make it stiffer then hold the form on both sides with both hands and roll it into shape....i find that it makes it alot easier to fit the form...especially with these nails as you can get the curve into place as you fit it. dunno if any of that makes sense, lol.....i hope so!!
I rebalanced thes nails on friday (after 3 weeks)...they were still perfect and i definately pleased i decided to sculpt as i think she would have ended up with problems with me trying to force tips on that did not really fit.
x

HELP.....I done my step daughters nails this evening, and struggled because although she has lovely strong nails, with lovely long nail beds, she has a really deep 'C' curve to them, and did not necessarily need them lenghthining, but they were all diffrent lenghts. So I thought I would just lenghten them slightly (as she wanted them longer) and make them all one length.

So I thought I would just sculpt them,,easy... WRONG,,, how on earth do you put a form on these types of nails?? there was about a 2mm gap between the form and nail,, it took me hrs to do, and they were not as good as I would of liked. I f I would of had the time i would of just put tips on her and continued,, but there must be a way to sculpt on these types of nails,, she also has deep nail beds,,, Please help.

This week has really tried me, I had a girl with fan nails and I struggled with them, and ended up putting tips on them, and still struggled.

Your help would be greatly appreciated please xxx:irked:

You already have some great advice on here, isn't it amazing that beautiful natural nails with lovely long nail beds can still cause us technicians problems lol!

Personally I would prefer to sculpt nails like these, and yes the best forms are ones you can get into the c curve shape and will retain the shape whilst fitting, like CND Performance and the Nfu.Oh forms. Also as they have tabs they will remain secure whilst working. It really is worth the time to get the perfect snug fit rather than struggle with a tip that is not a good fit.

I am sure you will be happier with the results next time you do her nails.

Last edited:
As I said, I just found it very difficult to get the back of the form to fit snug with her natural nail (cnd perfomance ) her nails were almos V curved, not C curved,, iygwim. Also when extending the natural nail, slightly am i best leaving it the length it is or filing down?? I left it the same length, but found it confusing having so much nail on my form, and found I was not taking my bead right down to her natural smile line,, iygwim, as I am so used to the form starting there, if this makes sense.

OHHH,, I sure need paractise practise ha ha xxx thanks for help girls

As I said, I just found it very difficult to get the back of the form to fit snug with her natural nail (cnd perfomance ) her nails were almos V curved, not C curved,, iygwim. Also when extending the natural nail, slightly am i best leaving it the length it is or filing down?? I left it the same length, but found it confusing having so much nail on my form, and found I was not taking my bead right down to her natural smile line,, iygwim, as I am so used to the form starting there, if this makes sense.

OHHH,, I sure need paractise practise ha ha xxx thanks for help girls

It is possible to make a CND Performance Form any curve you want (even v shaped) You just need to be shown and you lack the practise. No one ever said it was easy! :)

As to length, I would not reduce the length just to sculpt a nail (kind of defeats the object somewhat doesn't it?) . I would only perhaps make the free edge even and smooth if it required it before sculpting.

I always sculpt in 2 beads. One bead to extend the length and to create a 'false tip' then another bead for the smile line and to cover the 'false tip' I have created. Makes sculpting much easier and more precise and perfect. Also, you're not thinking about too many things to do at one time.

First bead just for length and second bead for smile and reinforcement in the correct areas.

My nails are the same. I used to do them myself, though to do my right hand used to take too long. I decided to pay for somebody else to them, but after 12 months, I'm still looking for somebody to do them properly. I have to have fresh tips on regularly as most places use standard natural or white tips, which eventually my free edge natural nail separates from.

I rarely ever let on that I can do their job standing on my head, as I think it would be intimidating. Though when I visited one of the Oriental nail bars and she started to drill and burn through my nail plate, I soon told her where she was going wrong.

My nails are the same. I used to do them myself, though to do my right hand used to take too long. I decided to pay for somebody else to them, but after 12 months, I'm still looking for somebody to do them properly. I have to have fresh tips on regularly as most places use standard natural or white tips, which eventually my free edge natural nail separates from.

I rarely ever let on that I can do their job standing on my head, as I think it would be intimidating. Though when I visited one of the Oriental nail bars and she started to drill and burn through my nail plate, I soon told her where she was going wrong.

cant you find anybody who sculpts ?

Latest posts

Back