Demarcation lines (2) on grey hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malak

Reaction score
Hi,

My regular client has recently complained that she has a colour band that is darker than her base and ends and about 1/4" long. So it goes from grey at the base, then a strip of dark, and the rest a shade lighter; so three different colours. She is 95% grey and I used Schwarzkopf 7-00 with 7-1and 10 volume to give her a more natural ashy look as she wants to gradually go lighter and blend in the greys. Would a 20 volume be more suitable? I keep getting conflicting information regarding this. I haven't had this problem with her before and I think it's because I was only using the 7-0. I used the 7-00 for the pigment concentration as I felt the 7-0 colour was appearing too translucent over the grey. She also wants to go lighter over all and my thought was to do super fine highlights throughout her hair for a more blended and gradual lightening of the hair.

Firstly, does anyone have recommendations regarding the best way to fix the line of demarcation?
Secondly, if I do the all over highlights should I be doing them each time she comes in or can I get away with a half head? I'm worried about the base colour not blending properly into the mids and ends.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
So she has a grey base with a quarter inch dark band above the root area? Is it from a previous color?

That's right, and the colour above the dark band is a shade lighter.

Yeah I have this problem with my Nan in law.
She doesn't see it but it annoys me every time I do her colour.
Can I ask how often does she have her roots done? I do Nan's every 4 weeks and it's impossible not to overlap the colour. I'd like to know this too. She does have highlights every so often. Usually at Christmas:rolleyes: and I always find it looks much better with them.
I'v been thinking of switching her colour to just 7. I use the 77/0 but not sure if that's the best way really. Maybe it's just one of those things that can't be avoided. :(o_O

Yes highlighting would def blend everything. But i believe i would try another color line

So she has a grey base with a quarter inch dark band above the root area? Is it from a previous color?
Yeah I have this problem with my Nan in law.
She doesn't see it but it annoys me every time I do her colour.
Can I ask how often does she have her roots done? I do Nan's every 4 weeks and it's impossible not to overlap the colour. I'd like to know this too. She does have highlights every so often. Usually at Christmas:rolleyes: and I always find it looks much better with them.
I'v been thinking of switching her colour to just 7. I use the 77/0 but not sure if that's the best way really. Maybe it's just one of those things that can't be avoided. :(o_O
Thanks for your reply!
She gets her roots done about ever four weeks and she ideally wants to wait longer between visits, which I don't think is feasible as her roots grow in very fast.
Glad to know I'm not the only one dealing with this! I'll try the highlights and hopefully it'll help, but I'm not sure how to blend them in once they grow out without having to touch them up every time.

Yes highlighting would def blend everything. But i believe i would try another color line
Ya I'll try the highlights and see how it goes. I usually don't have any problems with Schwarzkopf, not sure why this happened this time...

It will be easier to tell after you highlight and she's ready for a touch up

Hi
If she is wanting to go lighter maybe you could try a more translucent colour line? I am not familiar with your colour line, in this instance I would turn to redken chromatics or wella illumina. Neither give that definite line its a more modern softer way of colouring/blending grey.

Latest posts

Back