Dementia hair care

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hair candy

Reaction score
Any advice would be greatly appreciated here guys! I was just wondering if any other hairdressers on here work with vulnerable people / dementia clients ? Would u perform chemical treatments on a client who can not fully understand the process? My worry is they could initially consent but during process change there mind and then they would have chemicals that need rinsed off? This is a very new situation to me and I'm really struggling to find any concrete legislation? (although professional opinions are also greatly appreciated!!) I have contacted habia a few weeks ago but unfortunately had no reply?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated here guys! I was just wondering if any other hairdressers on here work with vulnerable people / dementia clients ? Would u perform chemical treatments on a client who can not fully understand the process? My worry is they could initially consent but during process change there mind and then they would have chemicals that need rinsed off? This is a very new situation to me and I'm really struggling to find any concrete legislation? (although professional opinions are also greatly appreciated!!) I have contacted habia a few weeks ago but unfortunately had no reply?
What services are we talking about?
To be honest I worked in a care home, where there were people with dimentia and I've not come across this situation before.

Colours, perms really anything that would be considered a chemical treatment? X I only graduated level 3 last year but it's never a topic that was discussed? I don't want to do anything that would go against health and safety but I can't find any information regarding this particular issue? X

I saw in the hdf good salon policy they have a section regarding vulnerable people but that's the only thing I could find?

I helped to care for my great-nan who had alzheimers and dementia for 7 years. I've also worked with a lot of elderly and vunerable people. If their dementia is bad enough that they might change their minds mid service they will probably have a carer/family member present or making the appointment for them, who can deal with the issue. My Nan quickly lost the ability to make and remember appointments so we did it for her and usually had someone there with her.

If anything is going to happen it will probably be that they ask you repeatedly what you're doing ("Are we cutting it today dear?") Or as in the case of Nan ("Have I paid you already?") Smile, and gently answer their questions. Old people are usually creatures of habit and it's very unlikely that you'll be doing anything drastically new on them. If you have decided on a slightly different look with them if they say something about it during the service go with something along the lines of: "I think we decided to do........ to make it easier for you to manage / it will really flatter your face / this colour will look great on you etc." (I use that tactic quite often on normal clients whose hair didn't quite go to plan - spend long enough talking about why that little bit extra off has really pulled the style together / how that slightly warmer blond is not too harsh and really reflects the light beautifully etc 😉 you can make most clients love whatever the result ends up being.)

If I may, the number one priority with dementia clients is: Dignify them and don't ask questions that require short term memory. If they repeat themselves pretend it's the first time you've heard it, yes you may have the same conversation 10 times over but if you don't say anything about it the client will feel happy and at ease. Refrain from questions like "What have you been up to today / what did you do yesterday / what did you eat for lunch etc." If they can't remember it will make them feel uncomfortable. Get them chatting about when they were kids and what it was like back then - you'll probably have endless things to talk about. It's also an amazing opportunity to hear first hand experiences of things like the war, being evacuated, etc that will soon be gone.
Whatever you do please DON'T say "You've already asked me that!" It will make them feel anxious and they cannot help it, so just go along with it, smile and enjoy the opportunity to learn a new way of communicating 😊

From a practical mobility perspective I would be wary about agreeing to do a chemical service, especially if it's in their home, without having a carer present who could assist with moving etc. If you do agree make sure they are mobile enough to remain upright for the required time and are able to lean back far enough for the backwash / or have a chair that facilitates this. Most older clients will have a family member make the appointment for them so you can discuss this with them, and the consultation/patch test is a good opportunity to scout out the potential logistical issues.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back