Dental problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHarvey

Reaction score
So I have always had brilliant teeth, my dental appointments have been sporadic to say the least but even after 4 years of neglect I had no problems :)..until, October last year, I started getting a niggle so booked in at local NHS dentist, took two weeks to get an appointment, by which time it was less of a niggle and more of a screaming pain! Dentist said "you need a filling" (my first!) but soonest they could get me in was January.
So had my filling, during the treatment he said was much worse then he thought" but he filled it anyway.
Have had the occasional pain in the tooth but then last week I woke up in agony!! Dentist got me in witching 48 hours and declared that there was something white lodged between my teeth which he had to drill out! No aneseptic, lots of blood and he declared I also had a gum infection and wrote a script for anti biotics which I started taking straight away.
Well all weekend I have been in even worse pain then before. I am literally crying in agony. I can't bare to eat or go outside in the cold as my entire jaw, from my ear to my eye socket, screams in pain.
I decided to get a second opinion and was seen by a different dentist this morning who said that in his opinion their was no gum infection and that the cavity was probably too deep to have been filled and that the "white thing" stick between my teeth was probably overspill from the filling and that in drilling it away the dentist had irritated my nerves and I now needed a root canal.
I asked when he could do it and he refused as he said it was the other dentists responsibility :( phoned original dentist and basically got told to put up with it and finish the anti biotics..these anti biotics are not going to make a difference to nerve damage, they have however given me kidney pain, sickness, and the worse thrush I have ever experienced.
I don't know what to do :( it's driving me to distraction. I'm double doseing on painkillers. Not sleeping at night and constantly crying in pain :( I can't deal with this for the next two weeks, which is when dentist has agreed to see me.
What can I do..I really can't cope any more ?

Oh god I feel so sorry for you. I can't help I'm afraid, hopefully someone else who can will come along soon. I didn't want to just read and run. Dental pain can be the worst.

:hug:

Sorry to hear youre having such a rough time. hugs xx
Dentists usually keep a certain amount of appointment (only 1 or 2) a day for emergencies. The only way to get one of these is ring when the first open in the morning and request an emergency appointment. Don't speak to dentist just tell reception that you're in agony and require urgent treatment. They should be able to give you a same day appointment.

Sorry to hear youre having such a rough time. hugs xx
Dentists usually keep a certain amount of appointment (only 1 or 2) a day for emergencies. The only way to get one of these is ring when the first open in the morning and request an emergency appointment. Don't speak to dentist just tell reception that you're in agony and require urgent treatment. They should be able to give you a same day appointment.

I've tried this :( no joy..problem is I'm not due to complete anti biotics till Thursday night and then it's Easter weekend and I'm working Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday next week so the earliest anyone will see me is next Friday..almost two weeks. I can't function

I've tried this :( no joy..problem is I'm not due to complete anti biotics till Thursday night and then it's Easter weekend and I'm working Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday next week so the earliest anyone will see me is next Friday..almost two weeks. I can't function

And the other dentist said the antibiotics will do nothing for the pain as its nerve damage :( if it wasn't a front tooth I'd be pulling it out right now lol

dental pain is THE worst! poor thing ! ,
i had something very simmualr done in England by an NHS dentist , who are we to know what they are doing ? any way when i moved here my american dentist almost keeled over at seeing my x-rays , ended up calling a bunch of others into room to look at them.
:o

sensodyne tooth paste can help with the sensativity a bit ,rub it on to your gums and brush with it, , Sensodyne is the #1 Dentist Recommended Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth

bonjela ? teething gel, they do an adult one now days .

maybe you could go to your doctor ? and ask for something stronger for pain reilef , just explaine it all as you have here . might allso be able to help you with a better dentist ,

x

If you are in such severe pain go to the A&E, ring the GDC as well to report the guy or at least get him investigated. If you are in need a dentist should sort it out. I can't believe the new guy refused to do it for you, is it all a case of funding?

dental pain is THE worst! poor thing ! ,
i had something very simmualr done in England by an NHS dentist , who are we to know what they are doing ? any way when i moved here my american dentist almost keeled over at seeing my x-rays , ended up calling a bunch of others into room to look at them.
:o

sensodyne tooth paste can help with the sensativity a bit ,rub it on to your gums and brush with it, , Sensodyne is the #1 Dentist Recommended Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth

bonjela ? teething gel, they do an adult one now days .

maybe you could go to your doctor ? and ask for something stronger for pain reilef , just explaine it all as you have here . might allso be able to help you with a better dentist ,

x

Good idea with calling the doctor, I will give it a try ;) am on clove oil which is disgusting and have managed to burn my throat with it lol..
The dentist u saw today said I defiantly needed root canal but wouldn't do it but the original dentist says its a gum infection. I've googled and I'm pretty sure it's root canal..
Do you think the dr would change these anti biotics? I have a constant sick feeling, sore kidneys, and thrush down there :-0 dentist said best to finish them but are making me feel like poo in top of the pain which isn't subsiding

If you are in such severe pain go to the A&E, ring the GDC as well to report the guy or at least get him investigated. If you are in need a dentist should sort it out. I can't believe the new guy refused to do it for you, is it all a case of funding?

Yes, it's because all work is covered by NHS funding for two monthd.
Eg if I had a filling Friday and it fell out Monday I would have to return to same dentist

Do you not have an out of hours emergency dentist?
Id have been on the phone at weekend...tooth ache is awful!

Ive had a tooth taken out at mine on a sunday. To be honest id turn up at the dentist at 8.30 am and say your not leaving til you have been seen!

My tooth ache woke me up around 3am sun morn and when i rang the hospital at 6 am crying, they said they would be able to offer pain relief

What a pain in the you know what, but if you are suffering you have to get someone to see you. If he refuses go to A&E and report him to the GDC or the Ombudsman. They are not all knowing and it is all too easy for them to ignore valid complaints. You really need to get this done before the bank holidays. A medical or Dental professional really should not have the right to withold treatment. Just because he messed up originally it does not give him the right to make you suffer just to keep his payment per visit worth his while.

As Steph says, turn up at his rooms, refuse to leave I would make a scene. He wont want to lose clients and if I were at the dentist and he refused to see a client in pain I would look to change dentists

The challenge is proving he messed up. Dentist this morning said that he could only give his opinion on what should have been done (root canal straight away) not on what was done (a perfectly adequate filling)..point is it didn't need a filling and him drilling away the excess on Friday probably made it look adequate but in the process has messed up the nerve
If I wake up all night again I am going a-e (our nearest is 40 mins away!!) can't cope like this I'm crying all the time, not just through pain but sheer exhaustion and depression

Big hug lovey, I hope you feel better soon. What pain relief are you on?

So I have always had brilliant teeth, my dental appointments have been sporadic to say the least but even after 4 years of neglect I had no problems :)..until, October last year, I started getting a niggle so booked in at local NHS dentist, took two weeks to get an appointment, by which time it was less of a niggle and more of a screaming pain! Dentist said "you need a filling" (my first!) but soonest they could get me in was January.
So had my filling, during the treatment he said was much worse then he thought" but he filled it anyway.
Have had the occasional pain in the tooth but then last week I woke up in agony!! Dentist got me in witching 48 hours and declared that there was something white lodged between my teeth which he had to drill out! No aneseptic, lots of blood and he declared I also had a gum infection and wrote a script for anti biotics which I started taking straight away.
Well all weekend I have been in even worse pain then before. I am literally crying in agony. I can't bare to eat or go outside in the cold as my entire jaw, from my ear to my eye socket, screams in pain.
I decided to get a second opinion and was seen by a different dentist this morning who said that in his opinion their was no gum infection and that the cavity was probably too deep to have been filled and that the "white thing" stick between my teeth was probably overspill from the filling and that in drilling it away the dentist had irritated my nerves and I now needed a root canal.
I asked when he could do it and he refused as he said it was the other dentists responsibility :( phoned original dentist and basically got told to put up with it and finish the anti biotics..these anti biotics are not going to make a difference to nerve damage, they have however given me kidney pain, sickness, and the worse thrush I have ever experienced.
I don't know what to do :( it's driving me to distraction. I'm double doseing on painkillers. Not sleeping at night and constantly crying in pain :( I can't deal with this for the next two weeks, which is when dentist has agreed to see me.
What can I do..I really can't cope any more ?

God I feel your pain I had horrific toothache last yr and ended up with a surgical extraction and ended up with dry rot (can't remember the name that doesn't sound right but no blood clot formed so gaping hole to nerves)
Which ended up leading to another few problems

Anyway I like you had to wait and wait until I couldn't bare the pain so I called the hospital they have dentists out of hours! Wait til tonight and just phone and beg!

No one should be left in this pain

I'm not a woose to pain 9.8lb op baby no pain relief or gas and air
But that pain of toothache was insane

Try codeine

Can you buy this over the counter? I have some pills left over from my c section but they are 4 years old.
It's horrible, trying to look after 3 young children whilst wanting to be out out of your misery is challenging lol

I work in a dental practice and they HAVE to see you within 24hrs and it is classed as a dental emergency if the pain cant be controlled by over the counter drugs or keeps you awake.ring them back,or go in, and DEMAND to be seen today. Say you dont mind waiting and if they refuse tell them you will phone their Primary Care Trust and want to know their complaints procedure. They should cack down. Failing that they should have a number for out of hours emercencies. Dont bother waiting at A and E coz they cant do anything and will tell you to see your dentist. Dont give up until you see someone and they sort the pain! :evil:

Try codeine

Was just about to say cocodamol.
I think you can get the 8/500 ones from a pharmacist if you have them check you. If you were closer I'd have said come for some of my 30/500 ones.

Is there an emergency dentist near you? Call them up, they won't see you in pain. If not go to hospital.
If you do get it sorted elsewhere send the dentist a letter with what you had done, I do think they should know where they went wrong.

Just like us, they don't know all to do with their profession, and mistakes do happen, its just unfortunate it happened to cause you pain.

Hope its sorted soon. Xoxo

Was just about to say cocodamol.
I think you can get the 8/500 ones from a pharmacist if you have them check you. If you were closer I'd have said come for some of my 30/500 ones.

Is there an emergency dentist near you? Call them up, they won't see you in pain. If not go to hospital.
If you do get it sorted elsewhere send the dentist a letter with what you had done, I do think they should know where they went wrong.

Just like us, they don't know all to do with their profession, and mistakes do happen, its just unfortunate it happened to cause you pain.

Hope its sorted soon. Xoxo

I have been to the dentist today, a different one, who told me what I needed doing but refused to do it instead referring me back to original one who I phoned. The nurse phoned me back and said "the dentist says just to keep taking the anti biotics" but the dentist I saw today said anti biotic wont make any difference :(

Latest posts

Back