Dental problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomme, your lucky to have an nhs dentist that is decent, there aren't many about.

For me, private is better, plus i can pay for sedation which you cant do with the nhs x

No, but if you ask nicely you can.
I think it comes down to the fact the practice is a family run one, 3
Generations have owned and worked there, and 4 generations of my family go there (all 64 of us who live in the area) xoxo

Generations have owned and worked there, and 4 generations of my family go there (all 64 of us who live in the area) xoxo

Oops, 65 with the new addition yesterday xoxo

Ive asked nicely plenty of times with the old nhs practice I was at & was told no. Then I moved to another practice & it was the same, i rang the dental department at our hospital for advice & to have sedation you have to have a medical condition or if you haven't got a medical condition you have to be referred by your dentist & then go on a long waiting list (which the last time my sister had this the wait was approx 4 months) & then when your at the top of the list you have the work done at the local hospital.

Too much faffing for me so I just save & pay private for my work, can usually get it with in a few days at the private dentist rather than waiting months for sedation on the nhs (& thats if the nhs would allow me to even have sedation as they do refuse cases) xx

Pain seems a bit less intense today but I think that's the pain killers I'm taking lol. Am going to ring tomorrow and get in for ASAP next week x dentist said it would come and go depending on how the filling was moving around against the nerve

Oh my days!

fillings don't not move around and I can't believe you have been told this!
It's sounds to me like you have have had a deep filling near the nerve in the past and the nerve has become inflamed and sensitive over time.
Get an apt with another dentist soon Hun x

You need to get it looked at again

CHarvey- did you get to the bottom of your problems? I hope so, sounds like you really went through it! X

Charvey what happened in the end?

im having nothing but problems with my teeth X

I don't think charvey is on salongeek anymore guys x

Wow what a story.
I have joined the private bandwagon, my private dentist explained to me that the NHS dentists get a set amount per month so its not in their interests to work themselves silly.
My NHS dentist said my teeth were "fine".
My private dentist who i trust implicitly ( my best friend works there as a dental nurse too ) has done 3 root canals & the nerves she removed from 1 tooth were black!!! Gross!! Im only 37!!
I now have 4 hygienist visits a year & no amalgam in my mouth. Ive spent around 3k in the last 18 months but my teeth are great & I have 6 monthly dental health assesments.
I am also completely broke tho ;) lol.
I guess there must be great family NHS practices but I expect its not the norm nowadays.
Hope you get your teeth sorted xx

xx

Just thought I'd give an update on me :)
I finally bit the bullet and had my extraction with sedation.
I got quite upset having the IV but the dentist was fab and next thing I knew I was coming round from the sedation.

I still need 3 fillings but they aren't any where near as urgent as the extraction was! Its going to cost £300 so ive had to leave it bit longer

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Wow what a story.
I have joined the private bandwagon, my private dentist explained to me that the NHS dentists get a set amount per month so its not in their interests to work themselves silly.
My NHS dentist said my teeth were "fine".
My private dentist who i trust implicitly ( my best friend works there as a dental nurse too ) has done 3 root canals & the nerves she removed from 1 tooth were black!!! Gross!! Im only 37!!
I now have 4 hygienist visits a year & no amalgam in my mouth. Ive spent around 3k in the last 18 months but my teeth are great & I have 6 monthly dental health assesments.
I am also completely broke tho ;) lol.
I guess there must be great family NHS practices but I expect its not the norm nowadays.
Hope you get your teeth sorted xx
Your private dentist was telling you fibs! NHS dentists get paid based on the amount they do to patients. Each procedure is worth a set amount of "uda's" which are worth an amount to the dentist. For example an exam is 1 UDA, a filling, extraction or root canal is worth 3 uda's and crowns, dentures and bridges are worth 12 uda's. NHS dentists are paid an amount per UDA depending on their experience and the company they work for. Could be £10 or more. So the NHS charges you £18 for an exam and the dentist could get £10 of that. The more work an NHS dentist does on a patient, the more they get paid, which is why lots of people end up having work they didn't really need! It's an awful system and invited all sorts of issues. Some dentists have been known to chart work and claim for work the patient never had! I think that in NHS and private dental practices you just have to try and put your trust in whoever you see and hope they are honest (and I think most of them are, although not necessarily any good lol) :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Charvey what happened in the end?

im having nothing but problems with my teeth X

She won't be answering anytime soon, she's banned from Salongeek :|

Under the NHS dental payment system, Band one treatment gives the Dentist one UDA (unit of dental activity). This could be an exam or scale & polish or X-rays. The Dentist will receive one UDA whether they perform one of these treatments or all three of the treatments. The Dentist will receive three UDAs for band two treatments (fillings, root canal therapy or extractions). If the Dentist does one filling during a course of treatment or ten fillings, root canal therapy and an extraction, they will receive three UDAs only. The Dentist is not paid fee per item as they were under the old NHS system.
Patients will pay £18.00 for a Band one course of treatment, either exam or scale & polish or X-rays, or all three items together. For band two treatment, a patient will pay £49.00. That could be for one filling or ten fillings etc....
A dentist that does a comprehensive course of treatment involving band two items will only receive three UDAs. A dentist that does one filling during a course of treatment will also receive three UDAs.
A patient that has a comprehensive course of treatment involving band two items will pay £49.00.
A patient that has one filling during a course of treatment will also pay £49.00.
This is why the system is currently under review, with a number of pilot schemes taking place.
xxx

Under the NHS dental payment system, Band one treatment gives the Dentist one UDA (unit of dental activity). This could be an exam or scale & polish or X-rays. The Dentist will receive one UDA whether they perform one of these treatments or all three of the treatments. The Dentist will receive three UDAs for band two treatments (fillings, root canal therapy or extractions). If the Dentist does one filling during a course of treatment or ten fillings, root canal therapy and an extraction, they will receive three UDAs only. The Dentist is not paid fee per item as they were under the old NHS system.
Patients will pay £18.00 for a Band one course of treatment, either exam or scale & polish or X-rays, or all three items together. For band two treatment, a patient will pay £49.00. That could be for one filling or ten fillings etc....
A dentist that does a comprehensive course of treatment involving band two items will only receive three UDAs. A dentist that does one filling during a course of treatment will also receive three UDAs.
A patient that has a comprehensive course of treatment involving band two items will pay £49.00.
A patient that has one filling during a course of treatment will also pay £49.00.
This is why the system is currently under review, with a number of pilot schemes taking place.
xxx

You explained it much better than me! :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back