Deposit policy for lashes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katy Cook

Reaction score
Hi all I’m after some advice for a deposit policy.
I work from home one day a week while I’m on maternity leave. I have a client who has been to see me 2/3 times. I had to cancel her last appointment as I’d torn a muscle in my back and literally couldn’t walk. I messaged her 4 days before her appointment and offered her a discount as an apology and she booked back in for a later date.
The morning of that appointment she messaged me to say she couldn’t make it as she had a terrible migraine all night and could she book in the week after. I felt sorry for her and realise it can’t be helped. I wished her well and I explained I was fully booked for that week and was booked in for surgery the week after and needed two weeks recovery time but booked her in as my first appointment after my recovery period.
She text me at 10:30pm the evening before her appointment to cancel as she had cluster lashes on and could she book in for the following week. I haven’t answered her yet as I can’t think of a polite enough response I’m wondering if I should tell her she can book in but must pay a deposit to confirm the appointment.
I’ve been considering a deposit policy but originally didn’t want to be quite so serious about this. I’m doing this more as a hobby than a business. Maybe I’m over thinking it? I’m wondering how other people run their policies.
Basically I charge £30 for a full set and £15-£25 for infills. I was thinking of charging a 1/3 of the treatment price to book the appointment. If the customer cancels within 24hr their deposit is non-refundable regardless of if they rebook and the reason ie due to illness? It seems a bit harsh but I have to arrange childcare for that appointment and obviously can’t fill the spot at short notice. Also if they cancel before the 24hr period, say 30hours before what happens then? I’m still technically in the same position. Is the deposit then just carried over to their next appointment? What happens if they don’t rebook?
Sorry for the long post, it’s giving me a headache whether I should rebook her in at all and not carry on with time consuming lashes. Maybe I should just stick to shorter treatments such as nails and lash lifts ‍♀️

To be honest she’s totally ok with cancelling and moving because you cancelled/moved yourself.

We can’t help being ill of course just as they can’t but because we set the rules for our business as soon as they know there is room to play about they will do it. By cancelling them yourself you are saying ‘you can cancel if you feel like it.’ Sucks but that’s how it is.

She’s moved quite a bit herself so time has been wasted, and this is a business you are running so don’t book anymore without a deposit. However, this does mean that whatever happens, do not cancel that appointment, even if you’re on the brink of death. Because if you do, you are saying deposits don’t mean jack and you can do what you want.

For now, if it’s bothering you and you can’t deal with all the fannying around, just don’t reply to her. If she contacts you again, then say hi, yes, my new policy is to take a small deposit for all visits of £5, taken off the final balance at your appointment and non-refundable in the event of a cancellation. They all try and mess about and say rescheduling is not the same as cancelling, so make sure you say that is considered cancelling where your time is concerned in there somewhere or it will make no difference and no point having deposits.

If you think for any reason you will be unable to work because of health issues and you find that you cancel more than a couple appointments here and there, deposits will never work.

Include your paypal email or bank details in the message and confirm only when received.

Most importantly, step back and remember it’s really not a big deal (I have to say that to myself ALL the time). Good luck!

That’s great advice thanks for your quick response. I often have to remind myself to step back and stop taking things so seriously!! Thank you

Latest posts

Back