Deposits every time?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

essentia

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have searched but cannot find opinions on what I am looking for. Does anyone here take deposits for treatments every time a client books? :) and if they do has it upset any regulars? My core clients are generally really good at attending but as I have got busier it is apparent I need to have a more stringent deposit system!

What have you found the best option. I have a card machine so can take payments. So many text/email appts when at work it would be more hassle to take payment and I do not want to alienate them but I do need to do something. Thanks.x.

Im looking into doing the same thing at the moment.best option get a virtual.cars terminal. The cheapest option i found was £20 month which includes 100.transactions. Its not cheap! Maybe do it with new clients and introduce it to clients that mess you around Lot!!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I dont ask for a deposit as all my clients make thier appointmens, the minute you introduce something like this, you'll see your client list reduced. I think if your more laid back and insinuate that they have three stikes and your out more efficient as you dont want a time wasting client. More like a list of commandments/guildlines i expect of my client i let them know and of the entire time ive been open ive only had around 5 no shows total, people have the respect to call you and cancel, then its better, as you can have another oppertunity with say a new client...its a optimistic approach!
Time wasting clients you can always see from a mile off, they um and aww like mad and then rearrange appointements, the best way to solve client like this is to let them know that whenever they want.... you are busy, and that it would be better if they came into the salon for appointments. That way you know if they are geniune or not! xoxo

Hi

It's a tricky one to call there are a few threads about no shows and cancellation policies so you could try searching for those.

As regards to deposits we thought long and hard about this. Our first year of opening we had 93 no shows. That's a lot of time wasters and money lost.

Taking deposits for all clients was on the agenda but really felt inappropriate for us. We didn't want to antagonise clients who had been recommended to us and get on the wrong footing.

We have a 48 hour cancellation notice at reception but that doesn't help bookings by phone. So we confirm the policy and ask them politely to let us know.

We we have a printed document listing all those who have not shown, after 2 ticks they get blacklisted. If they want another appt they have to pay in full and not allowed to move their appt time. Money is non-refundable.

Notes are written on each clients notes so everyone is aware of no showers and late cancellations.

Our website states this, as well as the back of our price list. However, it is hard to implement and we do get a bit lapse at times.

I would recommend that whatever you do, you stick to it.

Here is our website policy but I think it needs updating to be honest.

CANCELLATIONS
We politely ask at least 48 hours notice be given to cancel all appointments. If an appointment is cancelled within 48 hours a charge of 50% of the service costs will be added to your next appointment.

NO SHOWS
A no show will be charged in full and added to your next appointment. All future bookings will require a 100% deposit in advance. The deposit is non-refundable and the appointment cannot be moved or changed.

48 HOURS NOTICE FOR MOVING APPOINTMENTS
Appointments can only be moved once. We apologise for any inconvenience caused but booking appointments and then moving them at short notice does not allow us to re-book that appointment.

When you book with Entice you are given a secured appointment. This means that time has been specifically set aside JUST FOR YOU and your Stylist/Beautician/Nail Technician. We sometimes have to turn clients away because we are fully booked.

We ask you to be respectful of our policy.

hope this helps a little

Thanks for replies. Apparently someone told me there was some research done on this and it appeared that clients felt better to lose a deposit than to be charged a late fee afterwards.

I think it will alienate clients to ask for a deposit every time but I will probably ask for deposits for repeat offenders or large treatment bookings.:)

I think the moment you charge a fee for missed appointments you won't get the clients back for treatment. I take deposits for stock I have to buy specifically for my clients (i.e. botox on prescription) as I cannot legally use that on anyone else if they don't turn up. I still run the risk of being out of pocket as the deposit they pay is a lot less than the cost of the product I have to prescribe.

I charge models a deposit if they come on training courses as if they don't turn up it affects the delegates learning and I run the risk of having to put on another session so they have more practical experience.

If you have clients who regularly turn up then I don't think you need to ask for deposits really unless there are circumstances that you need to.

I don't take deposits for my salon (except for my make-up) and I don't charge cancellation fees as **** happens. I've missed the odd appointment here or there due to various reasons and I think my clients like the fact that I am understanding in that area.

I do however run a 2 strikes and you pay in full up front before your next appointment policy and I take the payment on their card when they make the booking. It works for me as genuine clients that are just scatty don't mind paying and those with a problem about it are not clients that I want anyway!

Latest posts

Back