depression

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Posh Paws

Reaction score
hi can anyone tell me about depression ...

my mum has been diagnosed with this condition and unfortunatly i know nothing about it or how to handle dealing with her ....

Hello,

I have suffered with depression for many years and know just what a difficault time it can be for the person that suffers and all those around them.
First thing I would say is that your mum is well aware of her depression and the effects it has on her family and friends but is helpless to control it alone, this is when you really need proffessional help. The old "Pull yourself together" or snap out of it lines just dont help and if she could she would.
From my POV it is like being in a well with very high sides and you can see the chink of light at the top but just cant find the way out yet.
I assume having been diagnosed the GP has offered some advice or medication (Only needed in some cases) to help her. If she was offered medication then this can bring anxieties of its own with fear of addiction (Does not happen) and wondering how long you may have to take them. All I can say is it takes time to sort these things out. I am sure you and your mum must be close as you are taking the time to look into this, she needs lots of cuddles and love and to know you are there for her.
HTH, and loads of hugs
Sam X

Its a comfort to her that you are there for her..but at the same time encourage her to get out and about with you..especially exercise..depression will worsen if there is nothing to distract her from thoughts..dont get into the trap of going to visit and just listening to her..she really needs activity..even if she isnt feeling motivated, just doing it will help her get motivation.
If she doesnt have a pet..maybe one would help,too..lol. i know it sounds crazy but having a cat or dog that loves you to bits for just being you can be lovely.

I wish your mum on the road to recovery. Depression is a horrible thing. It's awful for the sufferer and also just as awful for their family.

When I went through this I remember my doctor advising me about medication (which was the best thing for me) and saying that all depression is, is an unbalance of chemical's in your brain and until those chemicals are re-balanced again you wont feel your oldself.

This is what alot of people dont understand and like sam said you get people saying 'Snap out of it' but until those chemicals are back to normal you cant just snap out of it.

Take care and hope this explaination helps you.

xx

all i can do is echo what the others have said,

but having suffered with severe depression for many years from a suicide attempt at 14 right through 4 pregnancies until i was 30 , and even still suffer mildly with it now and panic attacks, the one biggest thing to avoid is anyone with the 'snap out of it' or 'pull youself together' routine, because you just can't.

Now i also know, many people want hugs and cuddles and almost babying whilst they feel like this, i sometimes on the other hand only wanted my hubby and wished everyone else would bugger off and leave me alone, embarrasment? humilation? anger? i dont know , but i did, so you have to try and judge how the person is feeling, they might not always want help, somedays you really do want to be alone, and its hard to know hun, it really is, and it could be quite difficult at times,

i know you will need lots of love, strength, help and support to get through this, so do look for advice/support groups for friends/family of sufferes, it might just be what you need at some point hun.

take care , and if we can help, you know were we are hun

:hug::hug::hug::hug:

Hello,

I have suffered with depression for many years and know just what a difficault time it can be for the person that suffers and all those around them.
First thing I would say is that your mum is well aware of her depression and the effects it has on her family and friends but is helpless to control it alone, this is when you really need proffessional help. The old "Pull yourself together" or snap out of it lines just dont help and if she could she would.
From my POV it is like being in a well with very high sides and you can see the chink of light at the top but just cant find the way out yet.
I assume having been diagnosed the GP has offered some advice or medication (Only needed in some cases) to help her. If she was offered medication then this can bring anxieties of its own with fear of addiction (Does not happen) and wondering how long you may have to take them. All I can say is it takes time to sort these things out. I am sure you and your mum must be close as you are taking the time to look into this, she needs lots of cuddles and love and to know you are there for her.
HTH, and loads of hugs
Sam X

Fab post couldnt agree more:)
Just be there for your Mum and take everything she says to you seriously,Depression can be a life threatening illness if not treated properly.

thankyou for all the kind resposes to this thread ...... you have given me lots of great advice ....

I have been researching for quiet some time now to try and help me to understand how she is feeling.

thankyou to you all xx:hug::hug:

Hello,

HTH, and loads of hugs
Sam X

I agree with ellasmum, lots of hugs and support and whatever she needs to get her through it. There is no overnight cure, it takes time. Just let her know you are there for her. :hug:

I wrote this poem when I was recovering from a relapse and thought I would share it.:)

I will dance in the sunshine and I will tell you why
because when you have depression it makes you wanna die
You sink right to the bottom of this dark and dismal cup
and once your at the bottom the only way is up
You look at things in a different way that make you live just for each day.

So I will dance in the sunshine and one day be so whole
I will make it to the surface of this soul destroying hole
Each day I will get stronger and fight with all my heart
to be the person I once was and escape from where its dark.

So when dancing in the sunshine please spare a thought for me
because the place that you are at is where I'd love to be
I can not just snap out of this or make it go away
So let me dance in the sunshine if only for today.

Latest posts

Back