Depth of a 2, wanting to go lighter, foil placement

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I have a guest who is the depth of a 2 and wanting to be a honey blonde, obviously it's going to take a few goes however what's the best way to place the foils to prevent that 'liney' effect. I went through the parting last time but it has gone very steppy. Would it be best to just go up the sides and through the back and avoid the parting?
:)

Its going to look stripy any way you do it due to the contrast. I'd never go more than 3 depths apart.

If I were you i'd bring her base up to a 5 or 6 then start with your highlights.

As cams suggests - then do your foils on a diagonal around the parting so softer grow out.

Forgot to mention she doesn't speak a word of English!
We tried explaining to her husband (who does speak English) about needing to lighten it all over first, and then go through with the highlights but he's more worried about cost. I then explained it's going to work out more paying for the highlights each time but he insisted on just highlighting it!

I guess all I can do is keep going with the highlights, unless they go ahead with trying to lighten it first!

Thank you! :)

Forgot to mention she doesn't speak a word of English!
We tried explaining to her husband (who does speak English) about needing to lighten it all over first, and then go through with the highlights but he's more worried about cost. I then explained it's going to work out more paying for the highlights each time but he insisted on just highlighting it!

I guess all I can do is keep going with the highlights, unless they go ahead with trying to lighten it first!

Thank you! :)

Well it will looks stripy then. I'm sure he doesn't want his wife to look stripy? If he's not willing to pay then she's not getting what she wants really.

Even if you go diagonal, over a 2 its still going to be stripy.

He doesn't have a clue what his wife really wants. He's your typical man haha!
I'm half debating wether to just go back to back with the foils and very fine wefts and go from there? It's going to take ages to lift it, but I can't do anymore than what they are wanting to pay!

So you have already highlighted so she must have some lighter pieces? What ever you do it's going to be a huge regrowth. Stripes or no stripes it's a level 2 and it's going to be a pretty harsh grow out.

If you go down that route id still do diagonals about 1cm or so away from parting really softly but I wouldn't be taking her that light!

Yeah we have already highlighted it once.
It's hard because I can't explain anything properly too her as she doesn't understand and her partner doesn't translate very well.

She wants to be that light so what can I do? All she's done is show me a picture of Beyoncé! I've explained it's going to take a while to become that light but all they both done was shrug their shoulders.

Have you got a laptop, tablet computer or a phone with pictures?

What about downloading some pictures of hideous stripey styles with major contrast and some nicely done blonder pics on women that have a similar skin tone to your client. You can point to the pictures and get her to choose the prettier images and show the hubby them too.

Maybe if he can imagine his wife looking like the more attractive blondes, he might be willing to pay a bit more?

Guy Tang does a lot of blonde ombrés using balayage techniques on Asian ladies. I wonder if that's the sort of look your client is after?

That's a good idea! She's in tomorrow, I'm going to phone them today and ask if they could change there appointment to a bit earlier.
I've decided I'm just going to bleach bath it all up, then scatter some highlights through and then go over with a lighter semi. I'm going to try work out a good deal for them as money is an issue and also download some pictures!
Thank you everyone for your help! :)

Do you have L'Oreal's 'Studio blonde' lightening oil......it's fab for 'softening' the contrast.
Apply quickly, at the basin, AFTER your highlights, using 20 vol for 5-10 mins.:D

I would foil her with lightener just like everyone else and then tone the roots of the highlights at the basin to a level 6 warm brown and smudging to give the hair a subtle blend and also get rid of a bright yellow rootage/stripe. Fade it down softly to the tips where hopefully you got better lift than the first attempt:)

I just realized it was yesterday! How did it turn out?

After all my worrying, she didn't even turn up!!! I was so ready to get it looking good for her and she cancelled at the last minute! But least I will no for next time!
I use Wella colours but I've heard about L'Oreal!
Thank you everyone for your help though! :)

Latest posts

Back