dermalogica advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purplelady

Reaction score
hi there,

wondered if you could help. Over the past few years my skin has detoriated and i now i have urrrh dreaded acne mainly around my jaw line and chin but a few on my cheek (only my right cheek suprisingly) its not really bad but i have like 10 spots or so there, and some red lumps that get really big and painful, plus i seem to be getting more and more whiteheads which you can only really see in certain lights but look lumpy and gross. It really stresses me out and Ive also got really dry skin which is wierd since most people with acne seem to have oily skin. I've pretty much tried everything, but nothing has worked so far, anyhow i heard everyone raving on about dermalogica so i tried the anti bac but i used it for a month and my skin got worse and was so dry it was peeling I think it was maybe too strong for me. Anyway I have now got the dermal clay hoping its not as strong, do you think this will help? Im scared it will get worse and will dry my skin out more, any advice greatly appreciated!!!!also anyone recommend a good moisteriser that wont block pores? i wear so much foundation which I know is soo bad for my skin but I cant bear to look at myslef without it!

Anti-back skin wash contains salicylic acid, so you may get some flaking of skin while using it. What moisturizer are you using? Are you also using the medicated clearing gel? As far as dry skin goes, acne sufferers often have what appears to be dry skin, but in fact it is skin that needs to be exfoliated. Adding a good exfoliator to your regime should really help (probably the daily microfoliant or the gentle cream exfoliant).

thanks huberella,

I keep changing my moisteriser, I was using estee lauder daywear , then lancolm, now I'm using a neutrogena oil free one as I thought that might help but so far it isnt. Is the dermal clay ok to use evryday or is it too strong? yes I do sometimes use the medical healing gel I find it clears up big red spots but can irrate my skin around and cause whiteheads though.

You should be okay with the dermal clay cleanser but you will also need to exfoliate (i would recommend the daily microfoliant) and moisturise (either active moist or oil control lotion) to repair the peeling.
Hope this helps.

Try and stick with products from the same range as well and mixing products can sometimes cause problems.

Spot around the chin area are normally hornone related - I also had this problem for a while and was so difficult to control.

i am a huge devoted dermalogica fan!! i had really greasy skin which would shine with greese and be gresy to the touch within an hour of me clensing. i now use special clensing gel, skin prep scub once or twice per week and its fantastic (touch wood)

on what you have said i would say dermal clay should be fine, as said before try the daily microfoliant this is gentle enough to use once per day and you can really tell the diffreence. as for mosituriser i would use the active moist and have th oil control lotion on any 'problem' areas as and when needed. you prob wont need the oil control all over the face and i would only use it if you have a particulary bad 'patchy'.

hope this helps chick if you want any more info pm me - i know exactly what its like to have problem skin - ESPECIALLY when you in an industry where you feel you have to be prefect as you giving toher people advice!! i also changed the contraceptive pill i was on as this can really help your skin

tori xx

I've always suffered with sensitive/blemish prone skin on my face. I think I must've tried everything!
However, I never look back since trying products that contain everything natural. They do tend to be a bit more expensive but when you've tried everything, it pays to invest in something that suits/works.

The acidy, chemical products for 'problem skin' are way too strong for me and seem to dry my skin out making it ten times worse.

I use Dermalogica now, it's natural ingredients really suit my skin.

My skin needed gentle help not an acid peel!

:irked:

thanks huberella,

I keep changing my moisteriser, I was using estee lauder daywear , then lancolm, now I'm using a neutrogena oil free one as I thought that might help but so far it isnt. Is the dermal clay ok to use evryday or is it too strong? yes I do sometimes use the medical healing gel I find it clears up big red spots but can irrate my skin around and cause whiteheads though.

The Dermal clay is great... however, the moisturizers you are using are not. They are all full of alchohol and wax and other assorted fillers... not good for the skin.

The medicated clearing gel is great, but should not be used around the eyes. Also, this gel should be used only at night, and do not use a moisturizer on top... wash off in the morning. You will get some flaking of skin at first, but this just means it's doing its job.

I would suggest the Active Moist moisturizer from dermalogica.

I've always suffered with sensitive/blemish prone skin on my face. I think I must've tried everything!
However, I never look back since trying products that contain everything natural. They do tend to be a bit more expensive but when you've tried everything, it pays to invest in something that suits/works.

The acidy, chemical products for 'problem skin' are way too strong for me and seem to dry my skin out making it ten times worse.

I use Dermalogica now, it's natural ingredients really suit my skin.

My skin needed gentle help not an acid peel!

:irked:

Dermalogica is a fantastic product... I too suffer from both sensitive and acne skin and have used many different products.

However... Dermalogica is not completely 100% natural. The take the best from nature and the best from science to produce their product.

Have you been to see your GP ?

I used to have awful spots around my jaw line & chin, they were like boils ! I used dermalogica for a while, it did improve my skin slightly but didn't clear up the dreaded spots.

In the end i was prescribed roaccutene by a dermatologist & thankfully they cleared up.

As some one else said before the chin area of the face relates to your ovaries.

But another thing to be considered is are you on the phone alot of the time and is it on the side where all the spots are? A girl where I worked found this was the case and was spreading the infection each time she used her mobile.

thanks guys I really appreciate your advice so much, iM 26 and its just so embaressing having spots at my age.
I have been to the docs but he wouldnt put me on roccutane as he said it wasnt bad enough but he gave me the contraceptive pill dianette so hopefully this might help, I've only been on it a week so far. I've just ordered the microfoliant, is it best to use this every night pre the dermal clay? also I've been using dermal clay just at night and just splashing my face with water in the morning top cleanse, as I thought dermal clay might fry it out too much, is this ok or do u recommend morning and nightime use? My skin is so dry by the end of the day my foundation is all dry and patchy and looks gross especially with spots...aaaahhh!
The tips are great thanks people!!

thanks guys I really appreciate your advice so much, iM 26 and its just so embaressing having spots at my age.
I have been to the docs but he wouldnt put me on roccutane as he said it wasnt bad enough but he gave me the contraceptive pill dianette so hopefully this might help, I've only been on it a week so far. I've just ordered the microfoliant, is it best to use this every night pre the dermal clay? also I've been using dermal clay just at night and just splashing my face with water in the morning top cleanse, as I thought dermal clay might fry it out too much, is this ok or do u recommend morning and nightime use? My skin is so dry by the end of the day my foundation is all dry and patchy and looks gross especially with spots...aaaahhh!

Go see another doctor !! I went through the whole surgery before I managed to see a doctor that would refer me to a dermatologist.

Also i was prescribed dianette & it made mine worse ! I couldn't believe it :irked:

If you can't get roaccutene then ask to try yasmin if the dianette doesn't work.

This is how your skin care regime should go.

morning... Cleanse (with dermal clay or anti-bac)
daily microfoliant
moisturize (active moist)

evening... cleanse
medicated clearing gel on affected areas only

Also, you want to cleanse twice (both am and pm) The first cleanse breaks down dirt and debrit allowing the second cleanse to actually cleanse the skin itself.

Roaccutane should only be used when the acne is not being helped by other means. It is a drug that is extremly harsh on your liver and requires monthly blood tests while on it. That being said, it is a great drug for those that require it ( I have been on it myself).

thanks alot, do you recommend using the multi active toner too?

My 1st post!!

I started to suffer with acne when I was 24. I was pregnant at the time and assumed once baby arrived and hormones settled then so would the acne but it didn't!!
Over the years I have tried countless creams, potions and lotions from old wives tales to prescription medication. Nothing seemed to help. What works for 1 might not do any good for another but I can honestly say Dianette was my saviour! Give it a few weeks to start doing the trick hopefully you will see a massive improvement. Hope it works for you, I know what it's like to not want to even nip to the local shop without having to put full foundation on!

I've just converted over to Dermalogica after some spot problems I've been having. I'm using the anti-bac skin wash and the daily microfoliant (which I really love) and they are great. I agree with what has been said here because I thought I had dryness until I started using the daily microfoliant. I'd recommend trying this!!

Good Luck x

misty thats so true for me I cant even open the door to the postman on a morning without a full face of foundation! Three years ago before this all started I never wore any foundation expect for going out! Fingers crossed the diannette and dermalogica will help!!

Multi-active toner is good but its more important you use the cleanser, daily microfoliant and active moist first to establish a good base. My clients find that the exfoliator takes the place of the toner.
Lilac

Latest posts

Back