Dermalogica training - not happy!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOS14

Reaction score
My boss has decided to send 3 of us on the 4 day course in a few weeks time, unfortunatley they won't accept me as I don't have an HNC, only a 1 year NQ qualification in Beauty therapy, I have been using their products for the past 18 months in my job and really like them, surely it would be in Dermalogica's interest to train me and salon experience should surely count for something. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this? Thanks. X

I've been using them 20 years and because I didn't "retrain" within the last 5 years the rep actually phoned to say she would be coming to the salon to "remove anything with the logo" I was mad! All my girls are part time meaning not only do I need to pay them to train for 4 days but would then need to pay for salon cover whilst they were at the training...

I'm all for training and generally do as much as we possibly can, but I can't understand Dermalogica being so inflexible... The training is free yes, but 4 consecutive days is a lot of time out of the salon for anyone.

I've been using them 20 years and because I didn't "retrain" within the last 5 years the rep actually phoned to say she would be coming to the salon to "remove anything with the logo" I was mad! All my girls are part time meaning not only do I need to pay them to train for 4 days but would then need to pay for salon cover whilst they were at the training...

I'm all for training and generally do as much as we possibly can, but I can't understand Dermalogica being so inflexible... The training is free yes, but 4 consecutive days is a lot of time out of the salon for anyone.

Wow I am surprised they let you use the products for 5 years without anyone from your salon attending the Classes. Scary in fact when I think of some professional exfoliators from this range.

tbh i really do not rate dermalogica at all in terms of both products and training. but for now i will just comment on the training side. i feel they should make a salon aware when training needs to be undertaken and for which members of staff so that it can be staggered. if the product is the same and they are suggesting to use it in a different way compared to the last suggestion then i feel that a video link and a chat with the rep is all that is required. if however the product has been updated with new ingredients and new techniques need to be used then no more then a day should surfice unless it is almost all the range and home study should be sent out before practical training proceeds.

if i was you and dermalogica are not informing you of updated training then i would be switching skincare lines asap. its not difficult of them to remind salons when training needs to be undertaken. also can you not stagger your staff training so only one is away at time?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am close to switching to dermologica, so this is a very interesting thread!

I find it hard to believe that they have kept radio silent and never once mentioned about the need for retraining, and then out of the blue just randomly say they're coming to debrand you.

They're huge on classes which are all free. Why have you never felt the need to refresh and learn up to date

I didn't explain I was abroad most of the 5 years, my staff however had attended regular training but it was me as the account holder they seemed to have the problem with. When the reps eventually did come for their "chat" they could rhyme off every staff training date ever taken, and even some by ex staff still linked to my account years after leaving....

It was suggested I reapply to open a fresh account but I didn't see why I should...it was eventually sorted out but my point is now we are just a number to them...it used to be exclusive.

They're training is excellent and free, if it was split into individual days over 4 weeks say it would be easier for some salons, or was more flexible.....my point was I can't afford to (or legally) pay numerous part time staff for an extra 4 days (outwith their 16 hours as they are on tax credits) not spent in the salon and also pay another staff member 4 days to cover in the salon....Dermalogica have said they expect all staff in the salon to attend...as they should, but I'm stuck for now and without attending the full 4 days they can't attend further advanced days.

I know I'll now get shot down on here and ill just say, I love the product and the philosophy etc

Last edited:
Thanks for replies, but has anyone come across my original question about being HNC qualified? Thanks. X

One of my colleagues has just did the 4 day course and only has nvq2 she was fine she's also booked in for chroma white and ultra calming we go to leather head so may depend on the course centre xxx

Again if its through your boss you shouldn't have to be Hnc none of us are even our manger and we have been using dermalogica for 6 years xxxx

Thanks for replying, that is very interesting! Surely all the training centres should be the same. I am really disappointed as I really like their products. X

No, I've sent receptionists on the product knowledge courses...,maybe the advanced ones are different.

Thanks for replying, that is very interesting! Surely all the training centres should be the same. I am really disappointed as I really like their products. X

Why not simply contact Leatherhead and explain and find out what's what?

Thanks Pink thistle, my boss has already contacted the Glasgow training centre but it seems they are digging their heels in, no point in contacting Leatherhead as it is the Glasgow training centre she has been dealing with. x

Well Leatherhead tell the centres what's what so if they say so then it goes.
If yr not willing to talk to the horses mouth then why come on here to complain about it

Thanks again for the replies, I wasn't moaning was only asking for advice! I will know not to ask again for advice I thought this is what salon geek was about.

I've been with Dermalogica for 4 years and there training is great why not write to them explaining rather than by phone I have trained right up to expert status at Leatherhead and there great x

You were given advice to speak to Leatherhead where the rules are made but you dismissed it hence it seeming to be pointless posting if you are reverting to your original stance of doing nothing about it

Latest posts

Back