Dermalogica WILL sell online!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmeliaR

Reaction score
My rep came in today to see me, she told me they had there big meeting and had lots of new news!

The main bit of info was that in the new year Dermalogica WILL sell retail products at RRP on line, she also said that is it possible that they will make the rest of the on line retails sell at RRP on line to. She also said that from the money they get from the sales on line we will get some of the profit :S so I'm not sure how they are going to do that! But you know what dermalogica are like!!

Do you sell on line? will it affect your business?

i feel soon there will be know need for us any more! the whole point of selling in salons was so client can get face mapped at get the right product for them! Hmm will be interesting to see what happens! x

It will make no difference if Dermalogica 'officially' sell online or not. People are buying it from discount websites for years now. The only reason I think there are announcing this is to basically signal to all the professionals that made the brand that they will be now also going on the high street and will be in every pharmacy and department store you can blink an eye at! There will be no professionalism with the brand anymore and professionals selling it in their salons will not be able to match the prices the dept. stores and pharmacy chains will be selling it at. Get out quick is my advice!

I am not a Dermalogica stockist anymore but it doesn't surprise me that they will sell online, even though they said they wouldn't. The distributor in France has sold online for years so its not a new thing.

It could actually help salons if they ensure they all sell at RRP but they can't, its called price fixing I think ?

status_offline.png

Massively geeky

bar5.gif

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif

18-09-11, 02:35 PM

i am a Dermalogica stockist and it doesn't bother me... Why..

1. They dont do skin treatments and refer client on to a skin center near them!
2. It increases clients awareness to Dermalogica (i had a client whos flight was delayed hours so spent lots of money on skin care, when that had ran out she bought more from me!)
3. Customers cant just walk in and buy something they do face mapping and are questioned to make sure the product is best for there skin and the staff are trained therapist.

is it really directly affecting you business that much? ...No if anything it will increase it! OK its not ideal but there are positive to every negative! xx

Just to add.. If you are not happy with Dermalogica use something els! know one is making you use it! stop sitting and complaining about it if your that bothered to make a petition find another skin care brand to use! if i was that unhappy with something i just wouldn't bother! x

Last edited by AmeliaR; 18-09-11 at 03:11 PM.
do you remember this now can you see why i was putting it together to stop us being pushed out but looks like its too late we've done there dirty work surplus to requirements now because i highly doubt they will share their profits with us!!:mad:

Imo this is the first step to high street retailing. I'm not a Dermalogica stockist, but used to stock Bare Escentuals (started with them 10 years ago when they were relatively unknown). When they started retailing in large London department store I was ASSURED it would be the only one as a flag-ship enterprise. Suprise suprise, now even Boots stocks it!

I would be seriously worried as a Dermalogica stockist that this is the natural follow-on!

It is such a shame that salons that have invested time, money and effort into a product are the ones that get back-stabbed all the time. From a business point of view, they need to keep their profits up (which I do understand), but unfortunately it can lead ultimately to the demise of small independent shops that can't compete with space for stock, advertising, footfall that the department stores offer. It is no wonder that our once-great high street is now dull and boring with only large stores dominating and making all towns identical :grr:

Rant over!

exquisitebeauty i think there is a big difference between on line selling a department store selling! Firstly there are no department stores near me that sell dermalogica and the more important point is that in a D.store dermalogica trained therapist are there to face map and tell the clients want they need, were on line they can just pick what they want!

I get quite a few clients that go on the demalogica website and look up products then find me when then put there post code in the search then come into the salon to buy the products were now they can just buy it off line!

I was just seeing what other peoples opinions were, if dermalogica want to sell on line they will a few threads on salon geek wont stop it, i happy still been a stockiest when they sell on line x

@exquisitebeauty obviously anybody can change to a different range if they don't agree with what Dermalogica are doing.

However I'm prob guessing your not one of the old brigade and probably quite a new stockist. The reason I say this is that 'the old gaurd' or the people that built, 'literally' built the brand into what it is now we're and have always been promised that the brand would remain a professional only brand not to be sold online or in regular department stores or on every street corner.

These people that built this brand invested 1000's into opening orders and so on for years and years confident that Dermalogica would not break a promise and turn their back on them but guess what's happened.

This is prob the reason you may not find it as betraying as others might. This is not directed at you but I just thought you may be missing the point.

status_offline.png

Massively geeky

bar5.gif

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif

18-09-11, 02:35 PM

i am a Dermalogica stockist and it doesn't bother me... Why..

1. They dont do skin treatments and refer client on to a skin center near them!
2. It increases clients awareness to Dermalogica (i had a client whos flight was delayed hours so spent lots of money on skin care, when that had ran out she bought more from me!)
3. Customers cant just walk in and buy something they do face mapping and are questioned to make sure the product is best for there skin and the staff are trained therapist.

is it really directly affecting you business that much? ...No if anything it will increase it! OK its not ideal but there are positive to every negative! xx

Just to add.. If you are not happy with Dermalogica use something els! know one is making you use it! stop sitting and complaining about it if your that bothered to make a petition find another skin care brand to use! if i was that unhappy with something i just wouldn't bother! x

Last edited by AmeliaR; 18-09-11 at 03:11 PM.
do you remember this now can you see why i was putting it together to stop us being pushed out but looks like its too late we've done there dirty work surplus to requirements now because i highly doubt they will share their profits with us!!:mad:

Ok Im seriously worried now. To the people saying 'if you dont like it change', it's really not that easy, it is so expensive to change over and then you are stuck with a lot of old stock. I personally cannot afford it. I have worked with Dermalogica for 10 years and feel will feel so let down by them if they do this. I have always been the one to defend them but if they start this carry on they will be draging the name that took years to build through the mud. Ahh somebody help :sad:

Ok Im seriously worried now. To the people saying 'if you dont like it change', it's really not that easy, it is so expensive to change over and then you are stuck with a lot of old stock. I personally cannot afford it. I have worked with Dermalogica for 10 years and feel will feel so let down by them if they do this. I have always been the one to defend them but if they start this carry on they will be draging the name that took years to build through the mud. Ahh somebody help :sad:

thank you suzanne i agree with you exactly its ok for all the saying dont like it change not that easy.
MarthaH ive had the stock 5yrs and when i opened back in 2006 i was promised the same as you
all did an made a lot of new clients to them. And supported them then they constantly
change the goal post to suit them.

Because there not that bothered there only
bothered in themselves not the hard therapist that work there excuse my french,
work there arses off to get their name out there. Then they start going into department stores
such as house of frazer in the midlands as another stockist told me this an airports.
AmeliaR their may not be a department store near you yet but their soon will be selling it.

Then they will swamp your area then you will see where ive been coming from im all for
brand awareness but remember this thread when you have your regulars who say
there loyal an true go down to the other salon because there undercutting you
or dermalogica opening up 3 accounts around your salon an your all fighting over the
customers to get through the door is all im saying but you carry on sticking up for
them untill they don't give two hoots about you slugging you're guts out.
Oh an btw if it werent for me writting to dermalogica cos it was i that wrote to jane asking her
not to put the prices up this year after they did it end of last year you'd of had
3 lots of price increase so don't go judging me.
I only wanted whats best for my
clients to be a professional range only stocking in beauty salons and spas to prove
good quality

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently went on a couple of courses with them, and have been a stockist for about 8 years. It has become a very "corporate" company, run by accountants and marketing men in my opinion. They have no idea or experience of what the salon owners face out in the salons. They came across as pretty clueless to be honest.

All their schemes and assistance promote only themselves, marketing spend can only promote dermalogica, a website can only sell dermalogica etc. In a hair and beauty salon, dermalogica is not my focus, so I cant spend my advertising points.

Sales have dropped, even my online sales are not great, They clearly want to keep the sales figures up. Plus they have this fite charity loan thing to support.
Funny aint it, support business women in the third world while shafting the business women in the first world who put you in the position you're in!!!

i rang glenn poy to ask why haven't all of us been aware of this as most of us will only find out about it off this site and he actually told us that it hasnt even been finalised and he doesnt even know when they will launch them selling online. i also complained that they are in breach of their terms and conditions that ive gone over with a fine tooth comb and it states that their products are only available in salon, spas & beauty educational premises. where on their does it state to be in airports shops, an malls and department stores & the internet!

I'm very disappointed with Dermalogica. I love the products but over the years I have seen them break more and more of their promises and I feel like they are selling out on us salons who have stuck with them over the years. I still use it for my treatments but have stopped retailing it as it just sits there. The treatments are still popular but clients buy the products on line at cheaper prices, but if Dermalogica find your salon selling at lower prices they can refuse to sell to you! They re marketed everything into RANGES which I found strange as when I did my training they said that the fact they didn't have separate ranges was one of the things that made them different from every other brand on the market, as all the products were mix and match. It feels like every time I get an update there are new ranges and products brought out, its getting so hard to keep up with it all. They said they would never retail online or in department stores as this was a salon only brand. And then there's the massive price increases. As a company I have lost faith in them which is such a shame as the products are amazing.

I have had dermalogica in my salon for over 5 years now. Over this time I have noticed they are constantly putting up their prices while also reducing product sizes. Internet shopping is a hard one for me to try and compete with strawberry net and all the other discount skin care websites. Now recently I discovered that dmalogica have started their own website fountain.org in Australia.

I am gob smacked. I rang them and told them I will not continue to order throug them

Unbelievable. I doubt it will be long before they start have a franchise of salons of their own. With the skin bars and website they have oh and the rude reps I don't think it is worth it. :grr::grr:

If I was in your position geeks I would use another brand. Easier said than done perhaps. They are only interested in their P&L figures!

I only recently started stocking and using dermalogica and I am finding it very difficult to retail as clients can buy online at 50% less, when i spoke to dermalogica they said well offer them 5-10 % of when they have a treatment??!! I await the post boo-ing us all for stocking a big brand and then complaining about it, but I think that in the current climate you have to pull out all the stops to give people what they want and give you the edge over the competition. I think if dermalogica does become available more widely then it can only be a good thing, more awarenes of the brand is never bad, as long as they stop the discount sites selling it and allow us as therapists to be competitive. xx

I can't wait to get rid of the stuff but easier said than done! As far I'm concerned they are saturating the market and with all the cheap internet sales including ebay, as a beautician stocking it you can't compete unless you sell it with hardly any mark up. Who would want a huge expensive stock package with no real profit.

Dermalogica have become greedy, it's not an exclusive salon product anymore, I can remember when they used to say "Dermalogica shouldn't be sold unless the client has seen and got advice from a therapist" ha ha!!!

What is upsetting is really not the fact Dermalogica will retail online - It is the company's decision. What is upsetting is the fact they don't think twice about all efforts we had to go to comply with their terms and conditions to have a Dermalogica website (uniquely selling their products), the design process, the links to their own website (building their e-reputation), the terms forbidding etailers to sell their products on platform such as Amazon, the cost of all this and the cost in online promotion, PPC etc...

For some salons, online retail is THE larger part of their business and I have no doubt they will drop the brand as soon as their decision to sell online is finalise. I am certain Dermalogica will come up with a ridiculous affiliate program (similar to the Clean Start one)...

My 2 pences...

Hi Geeks,

Just searched google for help and just come across this post. I wonder if you guys could help me?

I have been with Dermalogica only since Feb this year.
I know you can't sell online on sites such as Ebay and discount products. Im fine with that. But they are telling me accounts that opened in Feb aren't even aloud to sell through our websites?

I feel really let down. All these discount site online selling it and I have spend a fortune setting up an account with them and I am not even a loud to sell on our salon website.
Our stock is just sitting in salon - Im not happy.

Do any of you sell online through your site?

Unbelievable. I doubt it will be long before they start have a franchise of salons of their own. With the skin bars and website they have oh and the rude reps I don't think it is worth it. :grr::grr:

they have a skin bar in Santa Monica California already...have for years. It's called Dermalogica on Montana

I have recently gone mobile, but before I left the last spa I worked for they phased Dermalogica out. They did treatment deals and had a huge product blowout sale....basically to get back what they had spent on it, and introduced a new product ranged (GM Collin). They did a promotional event for it and I hear they are doing really well retailing now that they've switched brands.

Latest posts

Back