Dermaplaning query

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brapip

Reaction score
Hi my friend has just had dermaplaning and a chemical peel to follow immediately. Here are the results after 3 days. Should her skin look like this, especially, the scratches? Any help very appreciated
DCDDE002-9859-49B0-88D7-256FDAB99B45.jpeg
DCDDE002-9859-49B0-88D7-256FDAB99B45.jpeg
C758AD2D-EFB8-4B17-9C4C-4EDAA2C34BC4.jpeg

I’m not experienced in this area but if that was my own skin I’d go back to where I had it done and show her.

Surely the treatment has been done improperly to cause that? Can't be right.
Definitely show the salon these photos. Looks like the scalpel has cut too low.

I'm not experienced in this but is it normal to do a chemical peel after dermaplaning anyway? Surely the scalpel has removed any skin that can be exfoliated? My guess would be to apply a calming mask not more exfoliation - but i'm not qualified in this so perhaps some who is can tell us?

You can dermaplane and peel, but it depends what peel you use and how long you leave it on for, peels are always more intense after a dermaplane. From my limited experience it looks like shes gone too many layers deep with the blade, is the lady who did it experienced in peels? I would've thought there would be some frosting, in which case the peel should have been neutralised immediately. Your friend needs to go back to where she had it done, it could be an insurance case as well. She definitely needs to go back ASAP! Are the red areas and scabs on the chin from the peel too?

The reason I mention insurance by the way is because where I trained my trainer showed me a picture of a lady where the peel had frosted and it caused burns similar to what is shown in the picture, and the trainer said the therapist who did the treatment was lucky the client didnt claim

It looks like there was no balm used causing the the blade to drag and leave little marks like cuts. Yes you can peel after dermaplane, without knowing what peel has been used it hard to comment, the skin usually does darken after some peels it then peels away after a few days, it's obviously caught where the blade has nicked the skin. It does look like it's been left on too long and has caused frosting on chin. She should definitely go back but she would have signed paperwork to say there are risks during a peel. If that was my client I would like to know what I have done and offer some kind of compensation. It will heal, it looks awful, but you do go through an awful looking stage after a peel, it may just take more time.

I teach Dermaplaning and Skin Peels. It would be really hard to comment because in all fairness I don't know all the circumstances. However, it does look like injuries that were exacerbated by the skin peel. Maybe even an allergic reaction to the blade (Nickel allergy). Can be idiopathic (no reason). Our skin peel actually reduces inflammation. So I'm thinking by the markings left it was a bit of rough treatment or allergy from where the blades been. Unless the client knew they had a nickel allergy there would be no way of knowing, and they can just happen at any time. Also, they may have been allergic to something in the peel which causes an ablative like a chemical burn, but that's pure speculation as I said before I don't know all the facts. I'm just giving ideas. The good news is though, it only looks superficial and it should be ok. Maybe a bit red though for anywhere up to 6 months. A nice soothing healing cream with something like Aloe should help.
Hope this helps.
Nicky J Pearce X

Thank you everyone. It has healed now. After a long drawn out text battle with the therapist, in which the therapist said she was going to sue my friend(!) she did agree to refund her money. But not without considerable upset. Very non professional but at least all has healed.

Thank you everyone. It has healed now. After a long drawn out text battle with the therapist, in which the therapist said she was going to sue my friend(!) she did agree to refund her money. But not without considerable upset. Very non professional but at least all has healed.

I'm glad it's all sorted. Your face is pretty important and having mishaps can have a horrible effect on one's confidence. As a Therapist, if something like that were a common occurrence it would be one of the first things I'd be warning them about. I'd be documenting that I have spoken to them about it in records and making them sign to say that I have. It's about there not being any nasty surprises for the client and managing expectations. The client could be going out to a special event and something like that happens. Your reputation can disappear overnight by making silly mistakes. Therapists need to be more mindful of their actions and in some cases inactions.

Latest posts

Back