Dermaplaning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sophieb99

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have recently started my own beauty business and have enrolled On a dermaplaning course. However I have just been researching about how to dispose of the blades (sharps box, collections etc) Can anyone help/ shed light on how this is done, is there a law in place that I need a sharps box? I’m in the UK for reference just feel a bit stressed about it all as hadn’t even thought about blade disposal before enrolling on the course. Many thanks :)

Heya, have you started the course just yet?

I found myself in a similar conundrum when I did my micro needling course. The course was very thorough with the pre-service consultation, techniques during the service and aftercare....however there was nothing in the written protocols with safe disposal of the single-use needle cartridges (we did use these in the room however it wasn't something that was in writing). Also, very little on blood borne pathogens and limiting cross-infection. Which did make me very stressed, more so because this is a service that requires a licence with my local council. I thought the course should have built in these procedures into the service protocol.

What I would suggest is if you contact your course provider and ask. I imagine they will be keen to demystify any of your questions about disposal of these blades.

Heya, have you started the course just yet?

I found myself in a similar conundrum when I did my micro needling course. The course was very thorough with the pre-service consultation, techniques during the service and aftercare....however there was nothing in the written protocols with safe disposal of the single-use needle cartridges (we did use these in the room however it wasn't something that was in writing). Also, very little on blood borne pathogens and limiting cross-infection. Which did make me very stressed, more so because this is a service that requires a licence with my local council. I thought the course should have built in these procedures into the service protocol.

What I would suggest is if you contact your course provider and ask. I imagine they will be keen to demystify any of your questions about disposal of these blades.

hi! The course is online so all learning is theory and then you have to do a 1:1 zoom to prove you can do the treatment. Like I say I hadn’t even thought about the blades. I have had a quote from a company today of £214 for a ONE OFF bin disposal?! I’m thinking surely not but who knows. I just don’t want to break any legislations or laws and want it sorted but can’t seem to find a company. I will message the course provider and see what they say Thankyou. Fingers crossed it gets sorted as like I say it is quite stressing me out

hi! The course is online so all learning is theory and then you have to do a 1:1 zoom to prove you can do the treatment. Like I say I hadn’t even thought about the blades. I have had a quote from a company today of £214 for a ONE OFF bin disposal?! I’m thinking surely not but who knows. I just don’t want to break any legislations or laws and want it sorted but can’t seem to find a company. I will message the course provider and see what they say Thankyou. Fingers crossed it gets sorted as like I say it is quite stressing me out

I'm not a derma planer, however I am aware I will need to provide to my council on requesting a skin piercing license, a health and safety assessment and sharps safety measures for this service in particular alongside the relvevant training for the service being provided.

I hate to say but this is in it's incubation stage as we are at the renovation stage so not currently trading. I won't be able to speak on if this quotation if on the money or absurd. Hopefully another SG member can add to this conversation.

If you speak to your course provider, please update on here as this is adds to the pool of helpful information : )

I'm not a derma planer, however I am aware I will need to provide to my council on requesting a skin piercing license, a health and safety assessment and sharps safety measures for this service in particular alongside the relvevant training for the service being provided.

I hate to say but this is in it's incubation stage as we are at the renovation stage so not currently trading. I won't be able to speak on if this quotation if on the money or absurd. Hopefully another SG member can add to this conversation.

If you speak to your course provider, please update on here as this is adds to the pool of helpful information : )
Hi. I’m interested to know where you are that you require a license for dermaplaning. I get that you need a sharps box etc but it isn’t considered skin piercing as far as I’m aware?

Hi. I’m interested to know where you are that you require a license for dermaplaning. I get that you need a sharps box etc but it isn’t considered skin piercing as far as I’m aware?

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to my earlier comment about skin needling services. With this varying from council to council, but in my town the license is only required for skin piercing (tattoos, cosmetic piercing, skin needling, etc)

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to my earlier comment about skin needling services. With this varying from council to council, but in my town the license is only required for skin piercing (tattoos, cosmetic piercing, skin needling, etc)
Thanks for clarifying. Thought the rules had changed when I wasn't looking :)

I've recently started doing microneedling and got in touch with my local council regarding safe disposal and they just sent a form to complete asking how often I wanted a collection made. It's just over £16 per collection and you can have as many collections as you wish. As I don't know how busy I'm going to be this was perfect for me. They've said I will need a sharps box so I'm just in the process of looking for one large enough but someone on another forum suggested contacting my GP or dentist as they may be willing to dispose of them along with their sharps.

It's quite easy really. It's a good idea to just check with your local council you don't require a license first. You're not piercing the skin, but because you're using a blade they might require you to have one. This is individual to the location under local govt misc act. You are required by law to put used blades in a sharps box, and have this collected by a registered clinical waste company. You can contact them and they will do an initial assessment of your requirements and then offer you a yearly contract. You have to keep all pre-approval audits and waste certificates to show your local health and safety exec for at least 2 years. You can google a local clinical waste company in your area. I use 365. Your council might also be able to offer you the service as well.

Hope this helps.

Nicky

Latest posts

Back