Desperate advice on peeling, split and weak nails please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sophistikatedn

Reaction score
Hi All

I have 2 clients that come to me with the exact same problem, they have nails that peel and split/break easily and don't grow very well. They are both after long, strong, healthy nails.
I have tried Ibx and it hasn't made any difference what so ever which disheartens me. They came regularly too for treatments and no improvement??
One of them wants to know why it keeps happening and I'm honestly running out of an explanation. I believe it could be their ages?? One is mid sixties and the other 50's.

Is it within their matrixes that this problem occurs so the nail is growing out like this??
Neither of them submerge their hands in water or overly use their nails like tools at all. They use gloves for cleaning and gardening as I've advised.
I am currently trying nailtiques formula 2 and getting them to solar oil constantly. Slight improvement but nothing to shout home about....yet (it's only been a few weeks)
They've even tried rescue rxx.

Any advice is greatly received. Thank you x

Maybe they just have poor quality nails.

Where do they split?
How do they peel?

Photos might help too

If they split at the corners/sides is it too much length causing stress area bending?
Do you buff the natural nail during your treatments? If you use a smoothing buffer too much this can thin the nail and cause splitting
Is the peeling small amounts at the free edge or delamination across/up the nail?
A bit personal but are either taking HRT? Menopause can do all sorts to skin and hair

They're peeling and splitting at the free edge. If they break they're breaking far down the sidewalls.
I don't buff the natural nail as that will cause even more damage.
It is mainly on the free edge, not going up the nail. No they're not taking HRT.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1470493198.279078.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1470493222.707439.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1470493299.926172.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1470493323.140548.jpg

The third picture on the little finger. It looks like onycholysis nail plate separation and the nail has broken really far down.
The last picture is after I have performed a mini manicure and applied nailtiques formula 2.

Theres lots of vertical ridges, does the client have thyroid issues? Not all vertical ridges are down the thyroid but it can be an indicator.

The cuticles are very dry on those thumbs, if she is using Solar oil, I'd ask her to show you what she does as i don't think shes using anywhere near enough or often enough. I think that correction will also help with the free edge splitting.

The onycholisis on the pinkie tells me something 'systemic' is going on, as in something within her system. Onycholisis does happen for no reason, its either trauma to the nail or medication. Often seen in chemo patients.

All that said skin and hair suffer as we age, loss of elasticity, etc

Personally, looking at those nails, they don't look like they're being protected by gloves. The misshapen free edges looking to me as if they're not being looked after at all as they should be at home.

Also how long were you doing IBX? And how long were they using Rescue Rxx?

Thanks trinity and pure. I did this clients nails again last night and it's funny you mention about the misshapen free edges as they were exactly the same again.
The splits had gone and no peeling this time so the nailtiques formula 2 may have worked??
I got her to show me how she applied her solar oil and was semi correct. I emphasised the importance of everyday use and to use a lot.
We shall see....
We did ibx for about 6 weeks. Rescue rxx only a few weeks.

My other lady with this problem has very parched dry skin under the hypernichium and nail folds around the finger which again screams lack of oil and hydration.

Hi, I have had excellent results from using IBX on a similar client's nails, can I ask how you are using IBX?

I would try IBX for months, 6 weeks is 3 treatments. Which may show some improvement but they need longer.

Latest posts

Back