Desperate for advice-Client letter over "greenie"-Do not know how to proceed-

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to decide what outcome you would like from this.

If you want to keep her as a client, I would suggest doing nothing. The letter is a pretty clear indication that she likes to be right, so you making her wrong won't help very much.

If it's important to you to make a point, send the information. The likely outcome is a continuation of the dialogue and losing the client.

The important thing to remember is that you diagnosed correctly, treated it correctly and observed the customers wishes. There isn't anything more you could have done.

Mike

Jess first of all... let's compliment you on being a real professional here. :hug:

You have been given some great help from people (although for some let's remember that MOLD can not grow on people and therefore not on nails - it is not a hiuman pathogen:eek:). You were right - the green stain is the bacterial infection and take away oils, dust etc that makes it grow, and it will gradually move up the nail to the free edge where you can clip it off and bingo - all is well again.

I think that there is a lesson to be learnt. Some say you should send info back and forth but this can go on and on and beleive me she wont come back!. You have to be careful not to make her feel undermined (even though she is wrong here:lol:). We want her to know the correct info but I almost get the impression that she 'cant quite believe a 'nail tek' of all people was giving her great and knowledgable advice because 'she' is a nurse and knows better'. I mean Jess... what could you possible know about a bacterial infection or the difference between that and a fungal infection??? Please - you're just a nail tek:!::rolleyes::rolleyes: (you know I don't think this right... I am giving you what may be happening in her head).

Not in this case. I would write a small note thanking her for the letter and alight hearted apology on not meaning to raise your voice (whatever)... you are passionate and educated and wanted to do your best in the situation and you very much look forward to seeing her again.

Now when she comes back it would be great to have someone like Dougs' book hanging around... she may make comment and you can say, 'well funnily enough this is my nail bible'... and show her some of the 'proven' facts that have been posted here... without saying 'you're wrong, I am right'.

You can also chosse to say nada and go back to being the nail tek that doesn't know as much as the nurse... which of course in this case, is simply not true.:!:

Good job and don't change a thing... you KNOW your stuff. We are proud of you!:hug:

Thanks again everyone, for taking the time to read my post and offer me suggestions, it has helped me a lot. I have decided that yes, I need to send an apology letter, because no matter how much I don't think I was confrontational or rude, she obviously perceived me as so and that is not good. I have never had a complaint about my demeanor, so I am hoping she is maybe just more sensitive than most...Here is the letter I intend on sending, do you think it's appropriate?

Dear (Client),

Let me start off by saying I am very sorry that you left our last appointment feeling offended or disrespected in any way. I never meant for that at all. I do think there was some miscommunication, as you said. I sensed your concern immediately and was only trying to reassure you. I thought being clear and confident about my knowledge would help calm the situation, when obviously it only served to make you more uncomfortable, and for that I am truly sorry. I value you as a client and a person and I would never intentionally undervalue your opinion. I responded to the situation according to my knowledge and training, as you would in your profession. We may have to agree to disagree on the technicalities of hair and nails, but I do consider this in the past and am not upset. I do hope the same for you. Thank you for taking the time to clear this up. I would not want you to return with any hard feelings. I hope you are well and I look forward to our next appointment!

Thanks again,
Jessica

P.S. And I really need to get Doug Schoon's book. I am going to search for it online and order it, hopefully it'll be here by the time she comes back, just in case I need it!

Last edited:
In reference to the comments about nurses shouldn't be wearing nail enhancements, I have to disagree. It has been shown that it isn't the enhancement that is an issue, it is the length of the nail and nurses improperly washing their hands. Just because someone wears enhancements doesn't mean they carry any different bacteria/germs than anyone else does. If they have alot of length (whether natural or not) they should wash under their nails longer. It has been proven that most in the medical industry don't wash their hands properly.

P.S. Your letter is very well worded.........kudos to you!!

Last edited:
I like your letter. Hopefully she will appreciate that you are not telling her she is wrong, instead you have apologised for upsetting her and said you look forward to seeing her again. I would say that is a great letter to hopefully enable you both to put this behind you and move on. Well done.

my goodness !!

If it was me, personally I would not have replied to that.
The stress of that client nit picking at my work would drive me round the bend!! and I know I would dread her coming to her appointments in the end.

I think I would have just waited until her next appt and seen how she was. She is basically telling you that you need to chill out over the situation but then goes on to write a whole essay about it !!

I think you have worded your reply very well infact and hopefully for you things work out.

best of luck

Gina x

Thanks again everyone, for taking the time to read my post and offer me suggestions, it has helped me a lot. I have decided that yes, I need to send an apology letter, because no matter how much I don't think I was confrontational or rude, she obviously perceived me as so and that is not good. I have never had a complaint about my demeanor, so I am hoping she is maybe just more sensitive than most...Here is the letter I intend on sending, do you think it's appropriate?

Dear (Client),

Let me start off by saying I am very sorry that you left our last appointment feeling offended or disrespected in any way. I never meant for that at all. I do think there was some miscommunication, as you said. I sensed your concern immediately and was only trying to reassure you. I thought being clear and confident about my knowledge would help calm the situation, when obviously it only served to make you more uncomfortable, and for that I am truly sorry. I value you as a client and a person and I would never intentionally undervalue your opinion. I responded to the situation according to my knowledge and training, as you would in your profession. We may have to agree to disagree on the technicalities of hair and nails, but I do consider this in the past and am not upset. I do hope the same for you. Thank you for taking the time to clear this up. I would not want you to return with any hard feelings. I hope you are well and I look forward to our next appointment!

Thanks again,
Jessica

P.S. And I really need to get Doug Schoon's book. I am going to search for it online and order it, hopefully it'll be here by the time she comes back, just in case I need it!

Brilliantly worded, well done. Should defuse the whole situation and keep you your client.

Nice one.

Oddly enough ..... I think you have started a wonderful relationship with this client.

She is obviously well educated and so are you, as you have also demonstrated.

I think we all panic at greenies..... as we feel the blame has to lay with someone. Often we blame ourselves at the mere sight of one makes us feel insecure.

In actual fact it can be quite common, it is bacterial and can be contained and destroyed quite easily.

I've had a few in my time and explain it as bacteria poo (the traces they leave behind), I also explain at the slightest hint, they should come and see me, if they cant, soak it in household bleach until they can get to me..

There has to be some kind of common ground understanding with things like this (if you could see the germs/bacteria in a drop of tap water) you would probably not ever drink it again.

DON"T PANIC.

I think you have a great understanding with this client and some common ground.

Rather than toss her aside, take it on as a challenge, keep a record of every treatment you advise.

The discolouration should be different next time you see her, it should be more brown than green and faded.

If she uses antiseptic hand washes she can actually become more prone to resilient infections. Just like super germs in most hospitals. (she should understand this) as golden staff is rife in hospitals, but not in the public arena. It has become resistant to kryptonite if you like.

Make sure the nails are sealed in very well and use immaculate prep.

I really don't see this woman as trying to intimidate you, or challenge you, she is just sharing her knowledge and education with you.

See this whole procedure/treatment as a challenge to deal with, rather than something to run away from.

Good Luck.

Hey, if she is so damn educated, ask her for advice ... but document everything.

Rise above it hunny - just throw it in the bin and carry on .
Hold your head up high and if she comes back for another appt tell her youre fully booked!
You can do without that sort of client in my opinion :hug:
Jayneym xxx

Dear (Client),

Thanks again,
Jessica

First, I think you need a :hug:. Good grief...folks can be so frustrating sometimes.

Jess, you wrote a wonderful letter. Kudos to you for being professional and not getting 'into it' with her. You did/are doing the right thing.

Just wanted to let you know I'm in your corner! :hug:

Rise above it hunny - just throw it in the bin and carry on .
Hold your head up high and if she comes back for another appt tell her youre fully booked!
You can do without that sort of client in my opinion :hug:
Jayneym xxx

Thanks, I wish I had that option! My clients book about 2-3 months in advance...she's got appointments into February. Thanks for the support though!

Oddly enough ..... I think you have started a wonderful relationship with this client.

She is obviously well educated and so are you, as you have also demonstrated.

I think you have a great understanding with this client and some common ground.

Rather than toss her aside, take it on as a challenge, keep a record of every treatment you advise.

I really don't see this woman as trying to intimidate you, or challenge you, she is just sharing her knowledge and education with you.

See this whole procedure/treatment as a challenge to deal with, rather than something to run away from.

Good Luck.

Hey, if she is so damn educated, ask her for advice ... but document everything.

I'm not so sure about a wonderful relationship, I may have to take a valium before she comes in on Tues! My hope is that maybe she had a menopausal moment and she's going to apologize when she comes in lol. Positive thinking!

First, I think you need a :hug:. Good grief...folks can be so frustrating sometimes.

Jess, you wrote a wonderful letter. Kudos to you for being professional and not getting 'into it' with her. You did/are doing the right thing.

Just wanted to let you know I'm in your corner! :hug:

Thanks for that. I'll have to let you all know how it goes lol.

ok i would let it drop unless she brought it up. if i was you i would also look closer at your work on the first rebalance too hunnie so this doesnt happen again. also when doing your prep work make sure you pay close attension to cuticle across the whole nail, not just at zone 3. this helps me hunni.
hope this helps
xxxxxx

it's been a while now ..... how did it all go ?

Oh man, I'm so sorry! I completely forgot to come back and tell you guys what happened. She came in, acted like nothing was wrong, as did I. She did say "thank you for the letter" though, and that's about it. And she did say "well, they haven't gotten any worse, so you can probably put acrylic back on there". It was a teeny bit awkward, but it went ok. And she's been coming to every appt since. She even gave me an extra $50 for Christmas. So, I think it's all fine. She may have just had a moment and regretted it afterward, but couldn't admit it and apologize. Either way, she's a great client (always was, that's why I was so shocked this happened) and I just let it go. Thanks for checking up on me! lol

I would respond is a polite way, i would thank her for being a lovely client (pays the bills lol) and perhaps avoid the subject all togther. Maybe ask her how her nail is doing and hope she likes the nail varnish you gave her. I think pointing out you were right would aggrivate her, you have nothing to prove if your right. Its best to keep her on your side i think.

xxx[/QUOTE]
Thats a very stressful situation for you, and I feel so sorry.

I would also diffuse and avoid the subject, as she sounds very volitile to me, and proving your point could be the straw that breaks the camels back.
Chalk it up to just having to deal with the public, it can get akward sometimes, and move on.:rolleyes:

Wow, what a condescending cow eh? Would she like it if you decided to lecture her on everything she didn't know? I doubt it!

Glad you're back on track though xx

Oh man, I'm so sorry! I completely forgot to come back and tell you guys what happened. She came in, acted like nothing was wrong, as did I. She did say "thank you for the letter" though, and that's about it. And she did say "well, they haven't gotten any worse, so you can probably put acrylic back on there". It was a teeny bit awkward, but it went ok. And she's been coming to every appt since. She even gave me an extra $50 for Christmas. So, I think it's all fine. She may have just had a moment and regretted it afterward, but couldn't admit it and apologize. Either way, she's a great client (always was, that's why I was so shocked this happened) and I just let it go. Thanks for checking up on me! lol

I'm glad it all worked out! :hug:

Great to hear all went well. Sounds like to me you handled things very professionally. The hardest thing in life, IMO, is dealing with all the different personalities of people, attitudes, beliefs, etc. Just the thought of it and typing it makes me tired..........:lol:

Latest posts

Back