Desperate for help with Adult Acne

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CurlyQs

Reaction score
I have scanned through searches on this topic but haven't found what I am looking for.

I am in my mid thirties and STILL suffer from acne. :irked: Not just outbreaks, but consistent acne on my whole face, with the exception of my forehead.

I have tried eveything. Accutane worked for about 1 yr. after treatment, then came back. Due to the side effects, I am not willing to try it again. I have been to countless dermatologists, but nothing works. Have also tried addressing it the hormone route - through birth control pills etc. still no success.

My skin is very oily - the type where my makeup disappears within a few hrs (and that's with high quality makeup). Large pores, blackheads, whiteheads and some very sore pimples that seem lodged under the skin.

I know it will be suggested I go see a professional in skin care, but trust me I have - many times. I guess I'm hoping there is some product out there I haven't tried yet. This is my last ditch plea for help. For the most part, I've just decided to live with it.

And yes, I drink LOTS of water.

Wondering if any Skin Geeks can recommend a product that has worked for their clients or any other advice. Thx in advance.

oh hunny, i feel for you i really do, i dont think what i have is acne, but i constantly have huge spots on my chin, cheek, forehead and sometimes neck, they are massive, red, yellow headed things, my skin is also quite oily at times, and now youve mentioned it, my make up dissapears after an hour, i dont even bother wearing any now, havent wore foundation or powder etc since last xmas, and for while my skin cleared up and was great, 4 months with nothing not even a blemish, but then 3 weeks ago, bam, i woke up covered,

i dont eat chocolate, milk products and only drink decaffienated tea and bottled water, the dr's are useless, i can vouch for that, ive tried so many creams and i have refused to be put on birth control pills again , so dont know what else to try and so i will watch this thread with interest for any suggestions, as ill try anything at the moment

hope you find an answer hunny xxx

I always used to get spots and blackheads, especially on the chin and around the mouth.

I am nearly 40, and now the spots have disappeared in those areas, but now get them on the jawline.

I went to the DR and he prescribed me tablets and told me to expect 3 months for them to kick in. I tried and no difference.

I then spent a fortune buying Perfectil skin tablets, not much difference from them. I then tried Clear Complexion, still no great diffs.

I use Liz Earle products, I have oily skin now and have to re-apply pressed powder every few hours.

So, like you both, look forward to the answers.

Ok,I would have advised you to go to the Drs as you have said and looked at your diet,water intake and products already being used.However....you have already been through all that,so,next step I would advise is to have a galvanic facial,this deeply cleases the skin and helps rid the skin of blackheads and whiteheads,it helps deep cleanse the skin and reduce oiliness on those prone to acne.

Galvanic facials help rebalance the skin and are carried out in a salon.A course is recommended but the therapist will look at your skin and guide you in the best way forward.HTH:green:

I have got my acne under control with P8N8. (I'm 38, I discovered the product 2 yrs ago.) I believe it is made in Canada. There isn't much point in me giving you the UK website, I will try to find a Canadian one:hug:

I swear by the Complex 1 Multi Fruit (moisturiser)
But all 3 of their cleansers are fab, and the exfoliator and the gel toner, it's all fab :)

I am no longer embarrassed by my skin, I even go the odd day without make up now!

I have got my acne under control with P8N8. (I'm 38, I discovered the product 2 yrs ago.) I believe it is made in Canada. There isn't much point in me giving you the UK website, I will try to find a Canadian one:hug:

I swear by the Complex 1 Multi Fruit (moisturiser)
But all 3 of their cleansers are fab, and the exfoliator and the gel toner, it's all fab :)

I am no longer embarrassed by my skin, I even go the odd day without make up now!

I've found a US website Welcome to P8N8 Skincare, USA

But for anyone in the UK that may be interested P8N8 - antiageing oxygen skincare

Ok,I would have advised you to go to the Drs as you have said and looked at your diet,water intake and products already being used.However....you have already been through all that,so,next step I would advise is to have a galvanic facial,this deeply cleases the skin and helps rid the skin of blackheads and whiteheads,it helps deep cleanse the skin and reduce oiliness on those prone to acne.

Galvanic facials help rebalance the skin and are carried out in a salon.A course is recommended but the therapist will look at your skin and guide you in the best way forward.HTH:green:

Now this is something totally new to me. Is it anything like a glycolic peel? That is something I haven't tried because my dr. said the amount of treatments I would need would be quite pricey and he wasn't convinced it would work with my type of acne. I will look into this. Thanks!

Thanks for all the responses. It's nice to know so many feel my pain.

I kept thinking I would grow out of this at some point. I have to say I quite enjoyed being on Accutane (other than my skin cracking open and my eyes being desert dry) because for the first time in my life my makeup was perfect at the end of the day.

I wouldn't dream of leaving the house without a full face of makeup, that seems quite a luxury to me. I guess I could look into Accutane again, but I feel the side effects are very dangerous. Also since taking it, I took a totally unrelated drug that gave me a horrible, horrible reaction and now I am very choosey about taking any meds at all.

I appreciate everyone's advice....

Hi alex.

I totally understand how you feel hun. Im in the exact same boat.I was on roaccutane a year and a half ago. had to stop them after 4 months due to catching glandular fever. Their side effects are horrible. But it really cleared my skin up, i was so happy! Sadly my skin has decided to be evil to me and im suffering with bad skin again. I havent been back to see anyone about it yet. Its so frustrating and i can sympathize with you. I hope things get better for both of us :hug:
Let us know how you get on, as id personally be interested to know how things go in regards to treatments you try and such xXx

I wouldn't dream of leaving the house without a full face of makeup, that seems quite a luxury to me.

This was me 2 years ago

Btw, P8N8 have peels, not glycolic but similar, and you could carry this out at home if you get proper advice. (I may be able to help, but see what help the actual manufacturer can give you.) They have a peeling ingredient (bacillus ferment, its an encapsulated proteolytic enzyme) running through the range, not in every product and not in the same quantities, but its stronger in some, for instance the Sensitive Serum and the Shock Treatment are the main peeling products.

Hth's :hug:

I was on roaccutane a year and a half ago. had to stop them after 4 months due to catching glandular fever. Their side effects are horrible. But it really cleared my skin up, i was so happy! Sadly my skin has decided to be evil to me and im suffering with bad skin again.

Hi Nicky,
That was my experience with accutane too - helps while you're on in and for a bit afterward. I was disappointed when, yrs later, that was all my dr. had to offer again other than costly peels. I would love to try laser therapy or peels but they are very expensive.

One thing I read in 'Allure' recently caught my interest. It was about a study with a combo topical treatment of benzoyl peroxide and an antifungal treatment. It was highly successful in clearing acne, but alas is not yet available to buy.:cry:

Thanks for your words of encouragment. I'll let you know if I find anything miraculous! :hug:

This was me 2 years ago

Btw, P8N8 have peels, not glycolic but similar, and you could carry this out at home if you get proper advice. (I may be able to help, but see what help the actual manufacturer can give you.) They have a peeling ingredient (bacillus ferment, its an encapsulated proteolytic enzyme) running through the range, not in every product and not in the same quantities, but its stronger in some, for instance the Sensitive Serum and the Shock Treatment are the main peeling products.

Hth's :hug:

Wow, that is quite encouraging Zo Zo. I checked out the website but couldn't really figure out what I should try. I sent them an email and will see what they recommend. Sounds like a good product.... Thanks!!!:hug:

What would be ideal, would be for you to find a therapist offering P8N8 in your area, so they can set you on the right track. Something that I didn't mention before but is quite important, is that the products are quite potent, they don't contain any water, they are concentrated, so it's quite a good idea to start with just one or two products and then gradually introduce more into your routine. If you started off with everything, inc the shock treatment, it may be too much, depending on your skin.
I haven't time to look at the mo, but I have a feeling there is a downloadable acne management report on the UK website.
I do hope you get a reply to your email:eek:

Now this is something totally new to me. Is it anything like a glycolic peel? That is something I haven't tried because my dr. said the amount of treatments I would need would be quite pricey and he wasn't convinced it would work with my type of acne. I will look into this. Thanks!
No it's nothing like glycolic peel,its basically a machine where metal rollers are rubbed across the face,this creates desincrustation,which removes oils,and regulates the secretions,it opens the pores(this is great for really deep cleansing)

Have a look at this link The Benefits of a Galvanic Facial Skin Care Tips

HTH:green:

I haven't time to look at the mo, but I have a feeling there is a downloadable acne management report on the UK website.
I do hope you get a reply to your email:eek:

I see the UK website has a lot more information. I found the article you referred to and am just reading it. I am definitely considering trying this out, as the article makes plain sense. No empty promises. I will see if there is a professional in my area. Back to the article! Thanks!:hug:

I don't know if it's different over there, but here glycolic peels are quite cheap. Just a few dollars more then a mini-facial. Personnally I prefer peels with a mixture of aha's/bha, they're more effective.

Try Swiss Dermyl, you may have to go through a professional. Their website is SWISSDERMYL by REPCOM - welcome and then click on your country. I have seen excellent results with people who have had a skin condition seeing their skin improve. It's fantastic.

I'm in exactly the same situation..I'm 21 and have had constant acne for 11 years. In the past I've found products that help, but not totally cleared it. The best results I've got are from Liz Earle's cleanse and polish, and the Stone Crop Gel Wash by Eminence, which has the added advantage of being totally organic. If my skin needs a boost, I use the Seven Herb Treatment, also my Eminence. I still get the odd break out around my chin area, but I think that's mostly down to medication and hormones! Hth.

www.eminenceorganics.com
www.lizearle.com

You can buy both brands here.

Latest posts

Back