Desperate need of advice from salon owners

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cardell

Reaction score
hi ive written other threads regarding issues im having in salon but ive realised over the past day or two i cant actually cope and i need some advice please.

To cut a long story shorter my fiancee opened a salon nearly two years ago but due to unforseen circumstances cannot now work so i took on the salon alone to fulfill their wish, its not my industry at all but i wanted to try.

All staff are self employed except my receptionist. The salon is a great location we have lots of new customers daily and lots of repeat, we are making money (not tons) and popular/well known.

I am just so stressed though because of my staff, i havent had a day off in god knows when (when i book one off i end up going in because of issues- for example today was ment to be a day off yet i woke at 8.30 to my receptionist calling in sick, Then one of my hairdressers, then my waxing girl cancelling her first two clients (she did it to the same clients last week), another hair dresser is running late and ive got a complaint about something else from a client! its not even 9am and ive had enough of my staff already.

My staff are so unreliable it will soon effect my salon rep, it seems unless your the owner no one gives a damn. i have a baby at home too who ive not seen in ages because of the salon, ive not had chance to straighten my own hair in weeks as im always at the salon dealing with stuff or dont get home till late. We open 7 days a week until 9pm so i dont get home until 10pm most days then i start my home chores like cleaning.

anyway so i dont think im cut out to manage a team of people, maybe we shouldnt have gone self employed route and they would be more reliable?! i feel so drained atm and get it in the neck from staff about stupid things like the tea bags running out but nobody helps me (believe me i ask). i want to book a one way flight somewhere, im becoming resentful to my fiancee for not helping me where he could eg at home.

Shall i give up and sell it? will a qualified manager be a good idea? my staff are all so opinionated and selfish it drives me mad. i go out of my way to do things for them and they just take the P***, slag me off or have a go. because we are busy they think im loaded and live an easy life but its not true, its almost like if something breaks and it needs replacing they love telling me knowing its going to cost me money, maybe ive just employed horrible people. i feel they would love me to fail

Last edited:
Could you call a meeting and explain the situation to them. They obviously don't realise what's going on with you. You need to keep the communication channels open at all times.
Also explain that if it continues that there is a possibility you will have to close. You need to make them realise the seriousness of the situation without seeming like you're complaining or blaming anyone.
They may have issues that you are not aware of and it seems like everything needs to be brought into the open.
How do you treat the staff? Why do they have issues and what is their point of view?
If all else fails and they are just there to make a quick buck then you should look for some more dedicated staff. But I doubt that is the problem, most people don't go through the training and hard work for nothing. I hope this helps. Xx

Oh bless you. I can feel the stress just from reading this.

You need a day off, possibly close the salon for one day if you can. Speak to your staff about your situation without getting too emotional. Let them have their say too and maybe have a brainstorming session to discuss how to fix the issues.

The other half of the day you could spend time with your partner and discuss everything. Get his views on the salon and why he isn't helping at home. Again see what ideas come up.

Nobody can work those hours and you shouldn't have to with a young baby. Perhaps you could open 5 or 6 days instead of 7?

For today just get through the day with a smile on your face, even if you're faking it. Stuff the housework tonight. Have a nice hot bath, get a take away and chill with your man for an hour xx

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Having just been in the situation where I felt like driving and driving and booking into a random b and b just to get away from it all, I know where you're coming from.

I think you need to start managing. Not only for the sake of the business, but more importantly for your own sanity.

These people are self employed, so their cancellations, hours, monies etc, are all theirs to look after, but they're not doing it very well. You're right in that everyone looks, and assumes you're loaded - I've had a quote nearly doubled, and I'm sure it was because the builder thought we were raking it in.

I would call a staff meeting, and suggest that they either get their act together, or you will have to find others to replace them. In essence, if they're all self employed - and if doing a proper job - the place should be ticking over.

Don't get emotional - or try not to - and just spell it out. If the beauty therapist can't make Saturday morning appointments, tell her not to book them! Delegate to the receptionist that she ensures that tea, coffee and milk are plentiful.
Who does the cleaning? Is that you? I hope that not all weeks are as bad as this. It's great that you're making money, and I'm sure that there are a load of therapists that would love the opportunity to run their own diary without the headache that goes with running your own business.
I really would be looking at replacing all/some of them - they are tarnishing the rep of your salon.

Vic x

Yes I agree, get some fresh blood in if they have so little respect and compassion get rid, even getting rid of one will send shock waves through the rest of them.

Good luck xx

Id be inclined to employ a salon manager. Someone with plenty of experience. Even just part time so you can have some time off.

I think like the others have said you need to make your stylists aware that their behaviour affects business and that could risk their jobs.

This is the problem with the whole 'self employed' set up.
A good manager will be quite costly, and in reality, what control will they have over the staff, as they are not 'employed' by you.
Quality staff with the right attitude are sooooo hard to find!

No one can "control" self employed staff, what you can do is educate them about how their actions affect your business, you need to keep professional and have genuine ideas to fix the issues raised & a concequence for not complying or continuing to ruin your salons reputation, make a salon policy's list of general things which are expected from everyone in the industry but that they may not be doing, it all boils back to health and saftey in the workplace in the end so play on it, the salon needs to run smoothly in order for it to comply with h&s laws, get a level 1&2 textbook and brush up on it you'll be surprised at what you can demand happens in your salon and the difference it can make. A manager may be helpful to free up time for you but you could maybe offer the receptionist the added responsibility instead? Is she firm enough to take on the challenge tho? If not Maybe you could get a more mature one who has a bit of authority about her? Sitting down with everyone is the best way to sort it out tho, but they don't need to hear about how hard your life is etc they need to listen to what you want to say then see you listen to them and take in what they say, then see you offer a decent constructive answer to each issue, then recap after a week and see where everyone's at and if any further changes need to take place :)

Thanks everyone. I definitely will call a meeting but I won't be telling them how it's effecting me because tbh I don't think that will help. My receptionist is new. I actually sacked my old one a couple weeks back after their behaviour so my new one still learning atm.

I think I will get a part time manager to help for days I can be off. When I'm in it runs fine and people do work properly, but when I attempt to be off my phone just constantly rings with problems it's easier to be in so with a manager this should stop that. Two of my staff want to be manager (they used to manage a previous salon and spa) they have literally pleaded to be it and it's them who love telling me problems so I'm wondering if they make things bigger problems so I say "you know what you be manager" but I would never give them the position because it's them that's causing issues really. Some staff come to work, do the job and leave but with these two girls it's totally different.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back