Desperate to start doing nails!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missgelfling

Reaction score
Hi there, I recently qualified as a nail technician with the plan being that I become self employed and work from home and do a bit of mobile. I have put ads on web directories and have put notices up around where I live but haven't heard anything yet! I have just ordered some flyers so I can leaflet drop and drum in the business but I am so eager to start doing nails, the waiting is killing me!! I'm also 12 weeks pregnant so I want to get started asap so I've got longer to work before the baby comes.
Anyone have any more ideas or ways of getting the clients in. I have also set up a website and e-mailed it out to friends and family so they can then send it on to their friends and family.
Thanks
xx

Yellow Pages and Thompson directories will both give you a free lineage ad if you work from home or are mobile.

I walked round delivering all my leaflets (took days but I wasn't doing anything else at the start!), don't expect a rush lol, I reckon on a 1% take up. Sometimes its months after you delivered the leaflets, people keep them for when they're going somewhere sometimes!

I would also advise, once you get some clients, offer them a discount (I offer 25%) if they introduce someone else, the someone else also gets the same discount. It's amazing how many more people they find to tell.

Good luck x

hello, are there any local magazines that get delivered in your area? only i have put two ads in different areas and had i really good response, only cost £10.00 each a month, i have had my money back plus more! If you put a free line in yellow pages , be prepared for the sales call from them, they called me three times before getting hold of me and spent ages going through stuff with me , trying to get me to go on yell.com , its a good sales pitch hard to say no!

sounds to me like you are trying your hardest. Starting at home is difficult as you dont have a passing trade like you do in a salon, 13 years ago when i started up i rented a space in a hairsalon and gave the owner 10% of what i earned, as soon as i had a few clients ticking over, i moved them on to my home salon. Also i offered a couple of half price or free sets to girlies on the counters in banks and places where nails would be noticed and left my cards in coffee shops, docs surgeries, school and nursey notice boards, i still to this day offer raffle prizes for local events etc, word of mouth is the best form of advertising, i have a stunning website but even that doesnt bring me oodles of business, i get most of mine through school playground chatter and word of mouth. Dont give up as soon as the ball starts rolling you will get business, offer a few discounts to people who are in places to show off their nails, travelagents would be a good one?:):)

I don't want to be the 'grumpy old woman' and put a damper on things but I have a different piece of advice for you.

Just qualifying and working alone is very difficult. I would always recommend working in a salon for a while to get that experience. Being successful as a home/mobile technicians isn't just about doing nails.

If you start getting some clients it won't be too long before you have to take a chunk of time off and clients absolutely do not like that, whatever the reason. I guarantee you will loose most of them.

Why not use this time until you have to stop working in a salon. You live in an area that probably has the biggest number of salons (making it harder to get clients for you) so make the most of this time and gain experience. Then you won't loose any clients in a few months and will be able to start afresh with more exerience and gear your new business around your new baby

Hi there, I have worked in salons for the past 10 years doing nails. Although I never had a certificate, I always passed the trade tests and worked in a few big salons in Leeds. Thats why I want to work for myself now. I already have a small child who is at school and getting a job in a nail salon that doesn't insist you work until 6pm/7pm Monday to Friday is really difficult. Atleast if I work for myself I can be in charge of my hours - not saying I won't be flexible, just I will be able to dictate when I work.
I am going to try the suggestions that have been made - there are some really good ones and I cannot wait for that first phone call from a client wanting to book her set of nails with me.
I will keep you all posted on when I get my first appointment.
I have just ordered some brochures on vistaprint that I am very excited about too!!!!
Thanks
xxx

Hi there, I have worked in salons for the past 10 years doing nails. Although I never had a certificate, I always passed the trade tests and worked in a few big salons in Leeds. Thats why I want to work for myself now. I already have a small child who is at school and getting a job in a nail salon that doesn't insist you work until 6pm/7pm Monday to Friday is really difficult. Atleast if I work for myself I can be in charge of my hours - not saying I won't be flexible, just I will be able to dictate when I work.
I am going to try the suggestions that have been made - there are some really good ones and I cannot wait for that first phone call from a client wanting to book her set of nails with me.
I will keep you all posted on when I get my first appointment.
I have just ordered some brochures on vistaprint that I am very excited about too!!!!
Thanks
xxx

So have you been working as a nail tech in salons for 10 years with no training?
Were you insured?

I started working as a Saturday girl in a nail salon and the woman who owned the salon trained me up. She was an educator for OPI and I worked there for 4 years but I didn't receive a certificate as I was trained 'in-house'. Then I worked for a salon who asked me to come work for her, knowing I didn't have a certificate but she wanted me to do CalGel. It took ages to get ont he training course - almost a year and then I found out I was pregnant so I left. Then I worked in a salon and the beauty therapist there trained me up in Creative nails, again, I received no certificate. I have had no reason to get insurance as I've always worked for someone else and they have always known I didn't have any official qualification. Thats why I decided this year after I got married to go and do a nail course so that I can obtain a certificate and get insurance so I can go off and do it on my own.
There, my past 10 years wrapped up in a few sentences!!!!

I started working as a Saturday girl in a nail salon and the woman who owned the salon trained me up. She was an educator for OPI and I worked there for 4 years but I didn't receive a certificate as I was trained 'in-house'. Then I worked for a salon who asked me to come work for her, knowing I didn't have a certificate but she wanted me to do CalGel. It took ages to get ont he training course - almost a year and then I found out I was pregnant so I left. Then I worked in a salon and the beauty therapist there trained me up in Creative nails, again, I received no certificate. I have had no reason to get insurance as I've always worked for someone else and they have always known I didn't have any official qualification. Thats why I decided this year after I got married to go and do a nail course so that I can obtain a certificate and get insurance so I can go off and do it on my own.

Ah thanks for claryfying that. x

Lol.I.can.do.that.too..
Left.school.had.baby.......had.another.baby....sleep....wake...eat....sleep.......wake
...eat...sleep/....so.on.so.on.....:green:

I.wish.you.well.whatever.you.do.hunny:hug:

LOL, that sounds about right, except no sleep at all for me right now - 12 weeks pregnant and I cannot sleep at all - tried everything to relax me but I have so much going off in my head at the moment with starting my business, buying a house and having another baby!!!!
Do you work for yourself or are you salon based? Just wondering how you do it with 2 children as my husband seems to think that once I've had this one, I won't be able to work again.

Latest posts

Back