Desperately in need of help! Drumming up business for new staff member

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curly girl

Reaction score
Hi guys. Glad for any advice. I’ve had my beauty salon for 5 years. I’ve always been a one man band and business has gone from strength to strength. I seriously considered taking on a member of staff for a while as I was turning so much work away but finally took the plunge when I needed to take maternity leave at the end of last year.
My problem is that it’s now 4 months on and I’m yet to see any profit from taking her on. In fact she’s not even covering her wage so I’ve ended up getting into debt with my very supportive family just to cover the bills and wages. I’m going back to work very soon and unless things pick up with her I’ll have no resort but to dismiss her. The last thing I want is for it to look as if I just used her to cover my maternity and ideally with an 8 week old baby I don’t want to go back to working full time and miss out on priceless time with my son.
I think partly the problem is my loyal clients are waiting for my return to book in but also without a great deal of experience she’s brought no clients to the salon with her. She looks very young and I don’t feel she instills a lot of confidence in new/existing clients. That being said, she has potential and if we could generate enough revenue with her clientele I’d love to keep her working with me.
I’ve tried introductory offers with her, introducing monthly special offers and getting pics of her work online. I just don’t know what else I can do.
Sorry for the super long post but I’m at the end of my tether and my sleepless nights are caused by money worries rather than baby feeding at the moment. I’ll be glad of any advice on things that have helped people in my situation. Thanks in advance

I can totally sympathise. I didn’t take anyone on while I’ve been on maternity leave mainly for this reason. You should be enjoying this time with your little one and not stressing.

What services does she offer? What social media platforms do you use?
Have any of your clients booked in with her?
How many hours per week is she contracted to? Xx

I can totally sympathise. I didn’t take anyone on while I’ve been on maternity leave mainly for this reason. You should be enjoying this time with your little one and not stressing.

What services does she offer? What social media platforms do you use?
Have any of your clients booked in with her?
How many hours per week is she contracted to? Xx

Hi, thanks for replying. She’s currently on a probationary contract. I started her on 35 hours as there seemed like there would be more than enough work, especially as she started work in November and I was on maternity from December. I usually fill 40 hours work in my column easily. I reduced her hours to 25 hours in January but she’s still not even covering her wages.
She’s level 2 & 3 qualified so does massage, nails, waxing etc. She had a few hours in a spa per week before working for me but now I’ve gotten to know her more, her confidence for customer service and her work need a little bit of tailoring but we’ve all had to start somewhere. Some of my clients have booked with her but as I was only taking 3 months off some thought they’d be “ helpful” and wait for me! I’ve had one or two clients that didn’t think her work was up to par with mine and refused to book back in with her too.
I currently use Facebook mainly for social media and I’ve revamped the website to try and bring more attention. I thought of a Facebook sponsored ad but I’m in the catch 22 of not having the money free now to do it.
Partly I feel if she was more competent and experienced then she would have built more of a client base. Also she’s brought no previous clients with her due to the spa environment she worked in. I’d hate it to look like I just used her to cover my maternity then end up employing someone else in a few months. Simply though I can’t afford to keep her much longer if she doesn’t generate a profit but I’d like to offer her some constructive ways of doing that. I thought employing would at least cover some of the bills and keep my clients happy but if I could turn the clock back I’d have just closed for a few weeks!

I feel your pain...

I've a lovely staff member who started with me 3 years ago as a is a mature 'newbie'.
Seldom has she made her wage!...I will admit I am carrying her.:oops:

The problem is, I need to grow the business...and it is proving impossible to get experienced, CONFIDENT staff!
It seems EVERYONE wants to work for themselves nowdays.
I personally do not want to go down the self employed route, it doesn't appeal to me for many different reasons.

She came to me as a level 3 Hairstylist, but her training was sadly lacking and much time has been spent on this.
I also underestimated the difference between teaching a young adult, to someone more mature.
I believe it takes a lot longer...and a lack of confidence has been one of the main issue's.

Like you, I am busy....but try as I might, my long standing clients WILL NOT transfer over.

There is an obvious difference between our skill set and experience which cannot be denied.
I can understand why it's difficult for her, as we are on either end of the spectrum.

I did try offering her services at a lower price point, but this does not always work well.

The client is almost looking for a problem!- (there goes that confidence again!):eek:

They book in for a colour with the 'junior' stylist ...but then request a highly technical service, for a basic budget price!:mad:

Are you still getting the new enquiry’s?

I’m not really sure what to suggest to be honest. What hours are you planning to go back? It’s so hard Isn’t it. What is she best at doing?

I feel your pain...

I've a lovely staff member who started with me 3 years ago as a is a mature 'newbie'.

The problem is, I need to grow the business...and it is proving impossible to get experienced, CONFIDENT staff!
I personally do not want to go down the self employed route, it doesn't appeal to me for many different reasons.

She came to me as a level 3 Hairstylist, but her training was sadly lacking and much time has been spent on this.
I also underestimated the difference between teaching a young adult, to someone more mature.
I believe it takes a lot longer...and a lack of confidence has been one of the main issue's.

Like you, I am busy....but try as I might, my long standing clients WILL NOT transfer over.

There is an obvious difference between our skill set and experience which cannot be denied.
I can understand why it's difficult for her, as we are on either end of the spectrum.

I did try offering her services at a lower price point, but this does not always work well.

The client is almost looking for a problem!- (there goes that confidence again!):eek:

They book in for a colour with the 'junior' stylist ...but then request a highly technical service, for a basic budget price!:mad:

It’s so hard isnt it! I’m hoping I can at least carry her a little when I go back but essentially if she’s not making me money then I can’t keep paying for her just for company! It would almost be easier if she screwed up and I had an excuse to get rid of her! I think I’m just gonna have to sit down with her and lay the cards on the table. I’ll show her the figures and at least if she sees what I’m up against then she’s got a chance to help herself before it’s too late and if I need to get rid she can see I tried. I haven’t taken a wage for myself since October, I’ve borrowed to keep things afloat and persponed my wedding. There’s no more I can do and I’m even holding off on stock that I’d usually buy in now. Something has to change. Thanks for your help. Being in business is rubbish sometimes!

Are you still getting the new enquiry’s?

I’m not really sure what to suggest to be honest. What hours are you planning to go back? It’s so hard Isn’t it. What is she best at doing?

I’m still getting new enquiries so any new clients (that in the past I’d have had to have turned away) I’m putting in her column. Hopefully as business picks up I’ll be able to get more work for her and her confidence/skill set will increase. I just can’t financially carry her much longer and I’m out of fresh advertising ideas. I’m only intending to do 15 hours for a while but if things don’t work out I’ll be forced to do more and spend less time with my son I sometimes think us business owners are nuts. If I’d stayed working for the nhs I’d have had a year off and got full pay for most of it. That’ll teach me for following my heart!
Just having someone like minded who understands the difficulties of the industry helps. Having a good vent can work wonders to relieve the stress. Thanks for your help with this ladies. I love how supportive salon geek is

Hi,

Potentially, I'd be inclined to say she's a graduate stylist and make it clear to people she's not available for certain services as yet, and those services which she's not up to scratch with should be heavily discounted on model days until she gets it.

I think I'd work on consultation technique first, which will help her confidence and the clients will also have faith she can do the job, if she's assertive enough.

Also, you have to have their back. Support your staff - if there's re-do's explain that the stylist can re do it (if you do they'll never believe in the staff) etc

xx

I feel your pain...

Hi guys. Glad for any advice. I’ve had my beauty salon for 5 years. I’ve always been a one man band and business has gone from strength to strength. I seriously considered taking on a member of staff for a while as I was turning so much work away but finally took the plunge when I needed to take maternity leave at the end of last year.
My problem is that it’s now 4 months on and I’m yet to see any profit from taking her on. In fact she’s not even covering her wage so I’ve ended up getting into debt with my very supportive family just to cover the bills and wages. I’m going back to work very soon and unless things pick up with her I’ll have no resort but to dismiss her. The last thing I want is for it to look as if I just used her to cover my maternity and ideally with an 8 week old baby I don’t want to go back to working full time and miss out on priceless time with my son.
I think partly the problem is my loyal clients are waiting for my return to book in but also without a great deal of experience she’s brought no clients to the salon with her. She looks very young and I don’t feel she instills a lot of confidence in new/existing clients. That being said, she has potential and if we could generate enough revenue with her clientele I’d love to keep her working with me.
I’ve tried introductory offers with her, introducing monthly special offers and getting pics of her work online. I just don’t know what else I can do.
Sorry for the super long post but I’m at the end of my tether and my sleepless nights are caused by money worries rather than baby feeding at the moment. I’ll be glad of any advice on things that have helped people in my situation. Thanks in advance

Does she have the right attitude? Is she willing to learn? If so, you can train her! Big her up to clients, explain how fab she is, build her confidence and get her training in. Make sure she has her consultation technique nailed down and they will believe in her, even if she does look young. Hope this helps in some way. Some staff take longer to mould than others. Always better to get someone with the right attitude and not all the skills than someone with the wrong attitude and all the skills. You will be better off in the long run.

x

What about when they 'talk the talk....but don't walk the walk....!:oops:
You can 'feed' them client's, but if they don't have what it takes.....that extra special something..... that client will not re-book.
Client's want more than 'nice' now days......competition is fierce.
A 'trim & blow' just won't cut it!o_O

Are there services that she is good or confident at that you can have her do? Are there services that she does that you don't offer like nails waxing etc? It' hard to change stylists when you love the ONE you have because one bad hair cut or over bleaching can set you back months if not years! Facials and nails on the other hand, I feel, are lower risk if something goes off. That way she could balance your skill set instead of compete with you for the same clients. And keep training with you in the meantime.

I really sympathise with your situation, but you do have to realise that there is a HUGE difference between someone who can set up her own business and fill her column and an employee - by definition someone who isn't ready for that step.

You've also recruited someone from a Spa background so possibly used to being one of a team of 80 and dropped her, on her own, into a little, one woman business.

It's a completely different environment and she's not you.

I had a similar situation some years ago with a Spa girl who i thought would be great. She just didn't fill her column, she was on her own a good deal and she basically killed my business! She was desperately unhappy.

You'll have to go into the salon, with your little one, and manage your new staff member. She's your arms, you're her eyes. Be a fly on the wall. Check each treatment, from the set up to the protocol to the aftercare. Ask every client, "did you enjoy your treatment"? Treat her as a trainee who can't work unsupervised. Be the receptionist, grab the bookings. Pop baby in the corner and go into a waxing treatment to "catch up" with your client, or "keep your skills fresh". Have treatments from your new girl, check her technique.

Think back to how you started. When I started up, I did a lot of nail work. My waxing wasn't great so I ran a Groupon offer on waxing to build my speed and confidence. 68 leg waxes later I was speedy. I picked up about 3 returning customers and up sold about 10 clients so overall I broke even on the cost of the wax and got trained up by working for free. Then I started building up my waxing column. I gradually added in treatments and got busier, adapting to the increased workload and the skill of managing myself.

Now that I have a staff of 6 I do the same with my new girls. I start them up on one treatment and use them as a salon junior to set up for the others. I add in new treatments gradually. I build up their hours, starting them part-time and I quality control their work, giving them feedback for months.

It'll be hard work, but I don't think you've got much choice. Your baby needs you solvent and unstressed by financial worries.

Hi guys, thanks for all the feedback. Following up from my last post; I’ve now been working back at the salon myself from the beginning of March and things finally seem to be looking up I’ve had some lovely feedback regarding my new staff member from many clients and some are happy to still use her even now I’m back. Granted there was the odd mishap, some clients who refused to have treatments with her and one or two clients who haven’t returned since my return to the salon but in general things are going ok (thank goodness!). She still isn’t really filling her column enough for her wage but that’s improving and with many new clients coming in (that I wouldn’t have time for on my own) I’m hoping she’ll build a loyal client base soon.
She has the right attitude to learn and is eager to improve. As said above this counts for a heck of a lot more than someone who has all the qualifications but a bad attitude. I’ve still got a lot of debt to pay back to people who helped me keep the business afloat while I was making a loss but hopefully with a good summer under our belts I’ll be back in credit in no time! Sometimes a gamble is scary but I’m hoping this one will pay off soon!

Can I just ask a question regarding the 'filling her column' statements being made? I understand it's up to her to make sure she retains clients but isn't it your role as her manager to advertise her and help bring her a clientele?? I've had a similar situation recently, I started at a salon where I would not have my own clientele (as I have just moved in the area) and yet my boss gave me no support in order to get clients? No announcement on her Facebook page of who I was or what I do....no mention of me at all really, but plenty of the other girls in the business. The few clients I have had I've retained and some have even recommended me to others but it's still not enough people to 'fill my column' and I'm not sure how else to do it?

Can I just ask a question regarding the 'filling her column' statements being made? I understand it's up to her to make sure she retains clients but isn't it your role as her manager to advertise her and help bring her a clientele?? I've had a similar situation recently, I started at a salon where I would not have my own clientele (as I have just moved in the area) and yet my boss gave me no support in order to get clients? No announcement on her Facebook page of who I was or what I do....no mention of me at all really, but plenty of the other girls in the business. The few clients I have had I've retained and some have even recommended me to others but it's still not enough people to 'fill my column' and I'm not sure how else to do it?

Hi, yes i believe its a 2 way system. Ive put plenty of advertising on our social media, put plenty of pics of her work up etc. We both share to our own facebook pages too. Any new cliebts go into her column. I think its a combination of getting word out there then its down to the therapist to build their reputation and retain their clients

Latest posts

Back