Desperately seeking colour help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJHosie

Reaction score
Hello to bring you up to speed I'm a newly qualified hairdresser i'm loving every moment. Currently doing mobile appointments but i'm normally backing away from Colour as it scares me. i' know how to colour but I want to take gradually on colour.

Now I have mental illness and .one issue is my Anxiety and the fact i overthink. So I'm stuck in the following situations.
Lovely clients are asking if by balayage i can take them from left hand photo to either of the right hand images.
Please read the following which is normal response from me.
At college we were Wella. i have been using Colour Fresh but should i have been using Perfecton with developer to cover more area than tubes?
1596264160118.png
1596264179947.png
1596264201985.png

My approach has been as follows:

Client pictures have shown roots to mids are different colour to ends so to start I’ve been looking to get the base set at one colour. I’ve been using Colour Fresh (I know its semi perm), this does not need developer added but I end up having to use a couple of tubes (costly). After allowing to develop for 35 mins i have rinsed and dried.I then want mix my bleach with developer – 30vol. The bleach is painted onto the hair in sections and once applied to whole head in sections it is left to Develop for 35 mins from last piece being painted. After 35 it is rinsed towel dried.I know Get my second Colour Fresh tone and I apply it all over to the full head knowing that it will only stick to the bleached sections. I apply to the damp hair and i leave for 20 to 30 to Develop.Rinse , and Blowdry .

Does the above make sense? What, if anything is wrong?From all the material I’m watching on YouTube I might be adding too may steps. It seems that often a base colour is not being applied to Level out the two tone of the original hair. Do you approach differently and just go straight for the Bleach Painting and then a Tone on the wet for 25 mins?
1596264160118.png1596264179947.png1596264201985.png

I think you’d benefit from completing an advanced colour course because usually on level 2, you only learn how to apply simple colour mixes but not much about how different types of colour work, grey coverage and colour correction, which forms a huge part of colour work as few clients have virgin hair. Most hairdressing wholesalers offer colour courses so you could look at those initially if you’re not planning on doing your level 3.

On the pics you’ve attached, the client is already a light blonde so you'd be adding colour, not bleaching it, to get a dimensional effect like the second and third pictures.

Hello to bring you up to speed I'm a newly qualified hairdresser i'm loving every moment. Currently doing mobile appointments but i'm normally backing away from Colour as it scares me. i' know how to colour but I want to take gradually on colour.

Now I have mental illness and .one issue is my Anxiety and the fact i overthink. So I'm stuck in the following situations.
Lovely clients are asking if by balayage i can take them from left hand photo to either of the right hand images.
Please read the following which is normal response from me.
At college we were Wella. i have been using Colour Fresh but should i have been using Perfecton with developer to cover more area than tubes?
View attachment 210509View attachment 210510View attachment 210511

My approach has been as follows:

Client pictures have shown roots to mids are different colour to ends so to start I’ve been looking to get the base set at one colour. I’ve been using Colour Fresh (I know its semi perm), this does not need developer added but I end up having to use a couple of tubes (costly). After allowing to develop for 35 mins i have rinsed and dried.I then want mix my bleach with developer – 30vol. The bleach is painted onto the hair in sections and once applied to whole head in sections it is left to Develop for 35 mins from last piece being painted. After 35 it is rinsed towel dried.I know Get my second Colour Fresh tone and I apply it all over to the full head knowing that it will only stick to the bleached sections. I apply to the damp hair and i leave for 20 to 30 to Develop.Rinse , and Blowdry .

Does the above make sense? What, if anything is wrong?From all the material I’m watching on YouTube I might be adding too may steps. It seems that often a base colour is not being applied to Level out the two tone of the original hair. Do you approach differently and just go straight for the Bleach Painting and then a Tone on the wet for 25 mins?
View attachment 210509View attachment 210510View attachment 210511
I definitely wouldn't colour over it to lift it back up with 30vol. The hair already looks fine and fragile in some areas. A shadow root would look better and freehand paint some of the base colour through the ends. Then just tone your left out blonde pieces.

I definitely wouldn't colour over it to lift it back up with 30vol. The hair already looks fine and fragile in some areas. A shadow root would look better and freehand paint some of the base colour through the ends. Then just tone your left out blonde pieces.
I'd almost definitely look at using colour touch instead of colour fresh. Colour fresh only lasts a few washes, especially over bleached hair.

As mentioned - get yourself on an advanced colour course.
I know how little colour is covered in NVQ as sadly I have taken on staff as NVQ level 3 and been shocked at how poor their training had been.
I would also recommend you try and get yourself in a salon - even if it’s unpaid for a day a week.
You’ll be surprised how much knowledge you will pick up - and they might even let you assist.
Working alone straight after training is not good - as you have no one to help or advise when things come up you are not familiar with

Just stick to what you can handle until you are happy .An easy way to get into balayage/ ombre is to get your client to do it the hard way and grow some natural out , or maybe doing a root smudge with some babylights and a money piece and reassessing next appointment whether it needs more depth/lightening etc ...clients get bored easily , so if you go in with a dark colour and then they want it blonde- you've only made more work and more damage for yourself. And demi all the way !!!

Darling please do not lift her hair no more. She needs some shadow root and lowlights here and there. Don’t use ash colors use all warms you have. It will not pull out warm at all.

Latest posts

Back