Devastating News last night

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennijar

Reaction score
Hi guys,

As you know our little Lancashire Heeler Meggie had to have her lens in one eye removed a couple of weeks ago, I told you that I thought she had gone totally blind in both eyes, well last night when we went to the vets for the pressure tests etc we were told the devastating news that Meggie is totally blind, but also that for her own wellbeing she has to have BOTH eyes removed, she goes in on Tuesday the 10th for the op, I can't believe it even though I knew by looking the eye she had the lens removed from didn't look right I really didn't expect this news, it sounds really stupid, I know Meggie is blind, but the thought of never again seeing her eyes fills me with dread. I know she will cope just as she copes with everything else life has thrown at her, and I know I will cope when it happens, I just want her to be happy and pain free again, but I know it is going to be a gigantic shock when I pick her up after the op, I will need your support to get through this, I know I will.

Joan

:hug: sorry to hear your sad news:hug:

What awful news, I'm so sorry:hug:

Aw bless.

She will be fine.

Just remember dogs eyes are a bonus but they live life with their 'noses' and their 'ears' which you will notice will become more heigtened with the loss of her sight. She as already adapted her life around not seeing anymore.

I feel for you - it will be an awful day on her op. Im sure she will be extra spoiled when she comes home. I know how you feel, my little rescue dog was blind in 1 eye and I didnt want to remove the eye because I felt that although it wasnt working anymore - it still needed to be there.

Thinking of you.

Joan with a fantastic caring owner like you I am sure Meggie will continue to live a full and happy life xxxxxxxxx:hug:

Oh Joan, I have filled up reading your post. After everything that little Meggie has gone through she really deserved a break, as do you. I just don't know what to say Joan other than I am thinking of you and Meggie and hope that her op goes ok. Great big hugs to you both :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Aww bless ya both, im filling up now writing this.
Anyway like everyone else has said thinking of you both on the day of opp and after xxxx

:hug: for you and Meggie.

Joan with a fantastic caring owner like you I am sure Meggie will continue to live a full and happy life xxxxxxxxx:hug:
I second this and i am too filling up for you and your little meggie, its amazing how well she will cope hun, she will surprise you endlessly :hug: to you both

:cry: Big hugs to you and Meggie :hug::hug::hug:

Meggie has just had her eye drops in and has taken her tablet, it is strange to think that this is the very last day she will need her medications to relieve the pressure in her eyes, she is so chilled out it is unbelievable, whilst Mark and I are worrying ourselves to death about the op tomorrow. We know the only difference will be that Meggie will be pain free forever and she will never have anymore eye problems. We are still trying to get our heads around the fact that she will look so different with no eyes we discussed the false ones with our vet but they can cause more trouble than they are worth and they are only of benefit to people who see her they are of no use to her at all so we have totally discounted that idea, as they can cause eye infections which would totally defeat the outcome of her being pain free.

It seems weird but even though she is blind we convince ourselves that her little eyes are looking at us even though they see nothing, see I said it was weird, tomorrow she will have no eyes whatsoever the lids will just be sewn together from now until eternity we will never again see the windows into her soul, never again will she pour love out of them for us and they are such trusting eyes I know they are all clouded over and swollen but it is so hard to think we will never see them again after tomorrow morning. It is going to be so hard taking her for her op tomorrow, Mark can't even get time off work, so my Father in Law is taking me up to the surgery with Meggie it is going to be so hard to leave her there knowing she is going to look oh so different when we pick her up tomorrow evening, we love her dearly and we know this op is the best thing we can do for her, she is coping with her blindness though it is a learning curve for all of us, but we are all getting there Mr Bean and Emma are now both wearing bells on their collars so that Meggie knows when they are coming near to her as we have had a few problems with her grumbling that them when they startel her.

I don't think I will get so much as a wink of sleep tonight, but then this time tomorrow the op will be over and Meggie will soon be back home with us and our whole new life together will be on the verge of starting.

Please keep Meggie in your thoughts tomorrow

Joan

All of you in my thoughts tomorrow sending some :hug::hug::hug: your way. x

Awww I'm so sorry to hear your sad news, wishing Meggie all the best & a swift recover adaptation. :hug: Will be thinking of her. :hug:

awwww this whole thread is making my eyes fill up with tears!!!

Meggie is so very lucky to have an owner like you, unfortunatly some owners would get rid of their pet if this happened. Your both so lucky to have each other.

Not having eyes just makes Meggie more special, and I am sure she will be perfectly fine - the most wonderful thing will she'll have no more pain - wot more can you ask for?

Good luck with the operation, Meggie and you are in my thoughts,

Becki xxx

A quick update, Meggie has got through her op, she came home at around 5pm, she is still well out of it, but gives a heartfelt little whimper every so often. She has got a morphine patch on her side and has a strong painkiller and antibiotics that she starts tomorrow as intraveinous meds have been given today. She has 5 stitches in each eye lid. She goes back Friday morning for a check up I will update you again then.

I am sure everyones kind thoughts have helped her get through today. Thank you for them.

She and we are strong and we will all cope with everything that is thrown at us just as we always do it helps to know we have so many friends thinking of us at this time.

Joan

Glad she is OK and I hope her recovery goes well:hug:

Sorry not to have been on the forum for what seems like an age, Meggie is doing quite well now under the circumstances, we took her back for her check up on the Friday and Yippee Iona the vet said everything was going well, and we could still go away on our hols as long as we took Meg with us, she knew we had no intention of leaving her at home, so the rest of the friday was one mad rush as we hadn't got a single thing ready or packed as we didn't want to be disappointed if we were told Meg wasn't well enough to go.

We set off at 11pm with Meggie her royal highness resplendent on my knee in the new dog bed she had chosen earlier that day at the pet superstore. We had plenty of stops on the way and eventually arrived at the campsite in Clachtoll at 11am the next day. We wondered just how many days we would get before having to come home as Meg had never been camping in her life before when she could see. We had no need to worry Meg took to camping like a duck to water,she was the star of the campsite as the owners told everyone about her. it didn't hurt when she banged into the tent, she loved her new bed, she walked really well on her lead and she made the most of all the attention she got. The 14 nights we had booked had to be cut down to just 9 as we had to be back for tuesday 24th for Meg to have her stitches out, she was chuffed to bits to be met with a couple of maltesers from Iona the vet and to finally lose her big plastic hat.

We did worry that when we got home she would have forgotten her way around, but bless her she hadn't.

If you would like to see some piccies of Meg I have now got a webpage with piccies on along with her life story at www.dogster.com/dogs/591819

Things are still not easy but we are getting there, Meg is coping extremely well with her blindness. Thank you all for your support.

Joan

awwwww bless her, she will do fine tho flower, dont worry too much about it, tho i know it must be hard for you. she will raise her other senses to get about, and i bet she will do better than you or me could

Sorry not to have been on the forum for what seems like an age, Meggie is doing quite well now under the circumstances, we took her back for her check up on the Friday and Yippee Iona the vet said everything was going well, and we could still go away on our hols as long as we took Meg with us, she knew we had no intention of leaving her at home, so the rest of the friday was one mad rush as we hadn't got a single thing ready or packed as we didn't want to be disappointed if we were told Meg wasn't well enough to go.

We set off at 11pm with Meggie her royal highness resplendent on my knee in the new dog bed she had chosen earlier that day at the pet superstore. We had plenty of stops on the way and eventually arrived at the campsite in Clachtoll at 11am the next day. We wondered just how many days we would get before having to come home as Meg had never been camping in her life before when she could see. We had no need to worry Meg took to camping like a duck to water,she was the star of the campsite as the owners told everyone about her. it didn't hurt when she banged into the tent, she loved her new bed, she walked really well on her lead and she made the most of all the attention she got. The 14 nights we had booked had to be cut down to just 9 as we had to be back for tuesday 24th for Meg to have her stitches out, she was chuffed to bits to be met with a couple of maltesers from Iona the vet and to finally lose her big plastic hat.

We did worry that when we got home she would have forgotten her way around, but bless her she hadn't.

If you would like to see some piccies of Meg I have now got a webpage with piccies on along with her life story at Dog profile for Meg, a female Lancashire Heeler

Things are still not easy but we are getting there, Meg is coping extremely well with her blindness. Thank you all for your support.

Joan
Really pleased that Meg is making good progress Joan. Your initial comment about not seeing her eyes anymore, tugged at my heartstrings.

The piccies are lovely and she is so fortunate to have you as her owners. Thank you for sharing :hug:. xx

Aw Joan, glad to hear Meg is coping well ... and it's good to see you back here xxx

Latest posts

Back