Diabetes and pedicures/massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decadence

Reaction score
First of all we have done a search on here and nothing shows up, however when doing a search on goggle a thread comes up from back in 96?

So a little advice and peoples thoughts would be nice?

We have a friend/potential client who is suffering with type 2 diabetes, that would like a pedicure doing and a full body massage, we have not come across anyone with this yet, we are aware that diabetes is a contra indication, but she really wants this doing.

After speaking to her and saying that she will probably need a doctors note, which she understood but was worried about the extra cost of the doctors note, she did mention before that her doctor had said that foot baths should not be used due to the skin being very sensitive and easily burnt although she says she loves really hot baths.

So with a phone call to BABTAC I was very surprised to hear that they did not require a doctors note and it would be my discretion although the lady on the telephone was very clear to point out that the nails must NOT be cut due to how long it take to heal, and she also mentioned that the full body massage would be fine.

After looking at various sites for information they seem to say that metal instruments should be used instead of orange sticks due to sterilization, even though on here back in 96 in says about only using orange sticks?
the sites also seem to say that a foot bath is ok but paying particular attention to sterilization "obvious", and to be gentle with the massage "even though the client want a firm massage"

So please any thoughts would be very useful

Kind Regards
John "Mandys P.A lol"

I do foot health treatments and pedicures for diabetics.

I don't think you need a doctors note, but follow the general rules of footcare for diabetics and take sensible precautions.

1) I always use a foot bath with a disposable liner to ensure no nasties in the bath AT ALL.

2) Water not too hot and feet not immersed for an unnecessarily long period of time.

3) Ensure that you dry the feet and between the toes thoroughly.

4) File the nails down rather than cutting.

5) Be sure that you are aware if the client has any allergies so that you can avoid them in the products you will use.

6) Observe the skin of the feet really well, if you see any areas where the skin is broken (eg, a cut, blister, softened between the toes, cracked heel etc) ensure that you draw this to your client's attention so that they may take the appropriate care of it at home.

(Keep a record in their notes to prove that you have done this!)

As for the massage aspect I am not sure.

Elaine x

First of all we have done a search on here and nothing shows up, however when doing a search on goggle a thread comes up from back in 96?

So a little advice and peoples thoughts would be nice?

We have a friend/potential client who is suffering with type 2 diabetes, that would like a pedicure doing and a full body massage, we have not come across anyone with this yet, we are aware that diabetes is a contra indication, but she really wants this doing.

After speaking to her and saying that she will probably need a doctors note, which she understood but was worried about the extra cost of the doctors note, she did mention before that her doctor had said that foot baths should not be used due to the skin being very sensitive and easily burnt although she says she loves really hot baths.

So with a phone call to BABTAC I was very surprised to hear that they did not require a doctors note and it would be my discretion although the lady on the telephone was very clear to point out that the nails must NOT be cut due to how long it take to heal, and she also mentioned that the full body massage would be fine.

After looking at various sites for information they seem to say that metal instruments should be used instead of orange sticks due to sterilization, even though on here back in 96 in says about only using orange sticks?
the sites also seem to say that a foot bath is ok but paying particular attention to sterilization "obvious", and to be gentle with the massage "even though the client want a firm massage"

So please any thoughts would be very useful

Kind Regards
John "Mandys P.A lol"

There's some info that may help in my most recent blog x

You can listen to allll the advice under the sun on here and though much of it is fantastically helpful your first port of call has to be to call your insurance company. If you go ahead with the treatment and something goes wrong its then too late to make this call.

Another Geek on here kindly posted a letter that she gives to her clients to get the doctor to sign, she says she has never had a dr refuse to sign it or ask for payment.

Might be worth trying to find that thread and mock up a letter yourself.

Thanks for the replies properprincess where could I find your blog?
Yes we have contacted our insurance company that's who babtac is, may look into making a letter up then to get the client to take to the docs and getting him to sign good idea if there no charge

Regards john

Thanks for the replies properprincess where could I find your blog?
Yes we have contacted our insurance company that's who babtac is, may look into making a letter up then to get the client to take to the docs and getting him to sign good idea if there no charge

Regards john

Apologies Decadence, I missed that part in your thread. I find it really bizarre that Babtac dont require one. The Guild, who I am with, require one for EVERYTHING!

Hiya,

sorry if this sounds a little harsh, but why does everyone panic about Diabetes and treatments!?
My other half has Type 2 Diabetes and has a massage and pedicure once a fortnight....and he absolutely loves them! One of my best friends is a Type 1 Diabetic, and she too has all sorts of treatments!
They don't need to produce a doctors note every time they want to do something or treat themselves!
As long as there are no cuts, scratches, bruises, open wounds, ulcers etc on the legs or feet, then doing a pedicure on a Diabetic is absolutely fine, and so is massaging.
You shouldn't cut a Diabetics nails with scissors, obviously, but you CAN cut their nails with nail clippers, and of course if you did that, I'm sure you would do it with the same amount of care, that you would do for any client, wouldn't you!??
I do these things for my other half and my friend, and have never had a problem with anything, so as long as you do a thorough consultation, and the client tells you they are diabetic, you shouldn't panic and treat them any differently than any other client, just keep in mind to look out for anything suspect, that's all!
All it takes is a pinch of common sense when dealing with Diabetics, and not treat them like they have rabies!!

Oooo sorry, went off on a bit of a tangent there didn't I!? lol :D
Sorry, I just get a bit fed up and frustrated with people when they are dealing with Diabetcs, they don't need to be wrapped in cotton wool!......Just saying! :wink2:

Yes as per the last post, this totally frustrates me, I have type 1 diabetes and have had for over 24 years now and find it totally frustrating to read about doctors notes being required for pedicures etc, we don't need a doctors note for travelling overseas, going through customs, going swimming etc, so why on earth would we be expected to have one for a pedicure. Yes you have to be careful and look for cuts, ulcers but then again non diabetics can have these things too. We are no different form non-diabetics and I would not go to a salon and have someone ask me for doctors note etc and be made to feel uncomfortable, yes you need to know if the person is diabetic, has eczema, allergies or cancer treatment but we use that knowledge to enhance the clients experience, know what products to use etc, a client doesn't want to feel a nuisance or have to think any more about the condition they live with every day. I don't ask any different from my clients who happened to have a condition to my clients who do not have any conditions.

I think the issue is not that the client has diabetes it is whether they have peripheral neuropathy. If someone had peripheral neuropathy brought about by their diabetes then you would need a doctors note.

Hiya,

sorry if this sounds a little harsh, but why does everyone panic about Diabetes and treatments!?
My other half has Type 2 Diabetes and has a massage and pedicure once a fortnight....and he absolutely loves them! One of my best friends is a Type 1 Diabetic, and she too has all sorts of treatments!
They don't need to produce a doctors note every time they want to do something or treat themselves!
As long as there are no cuts, scratches, bruises, open wounds, ulcers etc on the legs or feet, then doing a pedicure on a Diabetic is absolutely fine, and so is massaging.
You shouldn't cut a Diabetics nails with scissors, obviously, but you CAN cut their nails with nail clippers, and of course if you did that, I'm sure you would do it with the same amount of care, that you would do for any client, wouldn't you!??
I do these things for my other half and my friend, and have never had a problem with anything, so as long as you do a thorough consultation, and the client tells you they are diabetic, you shouldn't panic and treat them any differently than any other client, just keep in mind to look out for anything suspect, that's all!
All it takes is a pinch of common sense when dealing with Diabetics, and not treat them like they have rabies!!

Oooo sorry, went off on a bit of a tangent there didn't I!? lol :D
Sorry, I just get a bit fed up and frustrated with people when they are dealing with Diabetcs, they don't need to be wrapped in cotton wool!......Just saying! :wink2:

I wish it were that simple Mich77.

It's not that I worry about actually performing a treatment on a person who suffers with Diabetes, it is purely that for a pedicure/manicure and the like my insurance will simply not cover me for it without a doctors note.

I would perform massage without any huge qualms but a manicure would be slightly more concerning as obviously diabetes can lead to loss of sensation and yes of course you would take them same amount of care if not more with that client BUT if you did nick them it could take longer to heal. No one intentionally sets out to cut/nick/bruise someone but accidents happen, this is why we have insurance and my insurance wont cover me without a note.

I have an aunt who is severely diabetic and her friend is a doctor, for a mani her friend would not even provide her with a note as she has very little sensation in her finger tips. We worked around this but even on my aunt I would not risk doing the full mani.

It is extremely frustrating but if my insurance will not cover me I will not perform the treatment. Simple as.

I do so wish it was easier, sometimes I feel like people with diabetes, cancer and more are made to feel like lepers because of the difficulty with insurance.
I wish that if we had their full consent having explained any contra actions it would be ok but my insurance will not allow me despite my protests.

Well I'm sorry to hear you've had problems with your insurance company Zooks....maybe you should change companies!
I'm with ABT, and they cover me to treat Diabetics, and do NOT need a doctors note. I've never had a problem with my insurance company about anything, so I would definately recommend them! :wink2:

I am with The Guild.

I may well look into that.

Does it request anything along the lines of a doctors note?

How are they with Massage and Cancer?

Thankyou Mich77

I have no idea how they deal with, or what they require when it comes to Doctors notes about any other conditions hun, especially Cancer....I have only ever phoned them to enquire about cover for Diabetics.
I would suggest you give them a call and ask them. :)

I most definitely will thankyou.

And sorry to the OP for jumping on your thread.

Thanks for all the feedback the reason for the original question was because when at college they were making it sound as if it was a no go area and has been said above some insurance company's can get a bit funny thankfully not babtac

It's more about the blame culture we seem to live in now, all this "where's there blame there's a claim" nonsense, people are scared to death of being sued and loosing everything.

I, as a therapists and a salon owner would not under go anything which would invalidate my insurance. If i caught my staff doing something that would invalidate my insurance it is gross misconduct and can lead to instant dismissal.

Mistakes and accidents happen to the most careful of people, whether a client has diabetes, any other contra indication or is completely "normal" (if there is such a thing!). So it's important to play by your insurance's rules. You may loose a co upkeep co clients because of it but it's not losing your whole lively hood.

I like the sound of the letter for the doctor to sign. The doctors surgeries around here charge for a letter which is ridiculous. I can see the problem faced by clients, it makes their treatments more expensive,

Well I'm sorry to hear you've had problems with your insurance company Zooks....maybe you should change companies!
I'm with ABT, and they cover me to treat Diabetics, and do NOT need a doctors note. I've never had a problem with my insurance company about anything, so I would definately recommend them! :wink2:

Hi Mich

Its that time of year when I need t renew my insurance so after this thread last year I decided that I would give ABT a call and have a chat to them about their regulations on treating a client with diabetes and I'm a little concerned to inform you that they, like all the others I have called today, do most definitely require a doctors note where the client suffers from diabetes regardless of whether it is insulin injections or diet controlled. I questioned them after reading this thread to see if there was any way around this and they said absolutely not, even if the risks are explained and the client signs a waiver you would not be covered.I just wanted to make you aware of this.

Does anyone know of any insurance companies that will cover you to treat a diabetic without a GP note? As I sure as hell can't find one.

Hi Mich

Its that time of year when I need t renew my insurance so after this thread last year I decided that I would give ABT a call and have a chat to them about their regulations on treating a client with diabetes and I'm a little concerned to inform you that they, like all the others I have called today, do most definitely require a doctors note where the client suffers from diabetes regardless of whether it is insulin injections or diet controlled. I questioned them after reading this thread to see if there was any way around this and they said absolutely not, even if the risks are explained and the client signs a waiver you would not be covered.I just wanted to make you aware of this.

Does anyone know of any insurance companies that will cover you to treat a diabetic without a GP note? As I sure as hell can't find one.

Hmmm....well that's not what they told me! Who did you speak to there? PM me if you prefer hun, but I'd really like to know!
Thanks! :wink2:

Anyone know if BABTAC over diabetics?

Latest posts

Back