Diabetes and waxing???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginger

Reaction score
How many of you carry out waxing on a diabetic client?
I have an elderly lady who would like her chin waxed, (only a couple of wiskers) but was taught 4 years ago not to wax a diabetic and this is the first wax client I have come across!!

any help appreciated :)

This has been discussed on a previous thread, and if I remember rightly the general opinion was that as long as the diabetes is well controlled, it's ok to wax. Obviously you need to take extra care that you don't cause bruising, in other words make sure the skin is very well supported when you remove the strip, and also do a patch test on your client, maybe on her arm, to make sure the temperature is ok before you put the wax on her face.

Hth's.

If you are worried and it is only a couple of whiskers, offer to pluck them with the tweezers for her, be careful not to nip her skin though

Here are the links to the threads Sarah mentions:

http://www.salongeek.com/skin-geek/57876-lesson-learnt.html

http://www.salongeek.com/skin-geek/56986-interesting-article-about-waxing.html

I agree with everything Sarah says, and indeed I regularly wax clients who have their diabetes under control with diet, exercise or medication. This echoes the advice of Diabetes UK, who have gone on record by stating that there is usually no reason not to wax someone with diabetes. They do suggest, however, that a GP's referral is advisable in extreme cases where the area to be treated is affected by neuropathy (nerve damage), but as of yet I've never come across this.

HTHs

Andy x

I would never wax anyone who is diabetic no matter what.
You just don't know how thin there skin may be or how it will react to being pulled.
Rather be safe than sorry.
Pluck!

thank you for your opinions i think i will stick to using the twizers as it is only a couple of wiskers and shall be very careful.

many thanks xx

thank you for your opinions i think i will stick to using the twizers as it is only a couple of wiskers and shall be very careful.

many thanks xx
You could always ask them to get a note from their gp if they are really wanting a treatment and explain why.

Latest posts

Back