Diabetes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malibuboo

Reaction score
Hi Geeks!!
I am new to this site - infact this is my first thread! What an informative site this is, I love the fact that we can all put our heads together and bounce off different ideas, hints and tips- its great!

I've been reading over old threads about the topic 'diabetes' and want to say thanks for the info already on here. But it has left me a little confused still about diabetecs?
I come away with two minds reading the threads, alot of really good information but I am still quite confuzzled!!

The split veiws seem to be;
1) You ask for a doctors note BEFORE any treatment can proceed - (but then there was the mention of doctors not having time to complete this - and a little tear off slip wont do for your insurers!!)
2) You should use your own initiative and if it is controlled - then you continue the treatment but obviously adapt it to suit the client (ensure plenty of skin support in waxing and do not soak the feet in pedicures/ do not soak the feet for long?? - again mixed views on this!)

Sorry to bring this up again, but I want to make sure I am doing my job right for when I take the plunge in 6 days and start mobile beauty!!
Thank you all, for your help and really look forward to your views.
:lol::lol:

I am a type 1 diabetic. If I have any treatment it shouldnt affect me in any way unless I wasnt looking after myself and was carrying high sugars constantly. The healing process is somewhat thwarted by high sugars so care needs to be taken with the likes of manicures and pedicures (esp feet) not to nick the skin or make your client bleed. This said - I have never had a problem with healing or infections

As for getting the feet wet??? You are meant to dry them properly after but having them immersed in water for long periods is fine (I have a bath quite often!) :)

I have never been told that I would require a doctors note for any treatment. I personally think my doctor or nurses would think I was insane to have a note written up for beauty treatments (obv not for invasive treatments, although I cant think of many at the moment!)

It is more a matter of common sense I suppose

Also I always tell anyone (beauticians, colleagues etc) that I am diabetic incase I should fall into a hypo. Some people are very sensitive to hypos and can pass out (I however, touch wood, have never passed out from one)

It only relations to infections from cuts or bleeds and if you cause neither it shouldnt be a problem. (Although even with waxing any bleeds just wouldnt be an issue)

Just to add onto that, be aware of any loss of sensation that a client may have in their limbs, be careful with your pressure when massaging etc. xx

hi, my dad and my auntie are both diabetic, one is type 1 one is type 2,

i have done treatments on both and my auntie has treatments in salon all the time! as long as you go thru your consultation process as with any client thoroughly enough and keep records of treatments/problems etc then you can perform any type of treatment on them,

yes Diabetics are more prone to feet complications but this is usually if they are not looking after themselves, if they are having recurrent problems and you are worried then yes ask for a doctors note x

Aw thank you very much all of you, very helpful - I really appreciate it and will take on board all of your advice.
x x

Im type 1 and I believe you should be treating all diabetics the same as any other client...with caution. Diabetics are more prone to infections so cuts are obviously a bad thing....but I cant remember a time when cutting a client was ok?

accidents happen but just be aware of this.

I see no reason why you cant treat the same! Just be careful xxxx

Welcome to SG! :) I'm also type 1 - and just wanted to say a quick thank you for asking about us in order to understand better!
I recently had a horrible experience when I went to a manicure appointment I'd booked as a treat to myself - I filled out the consultation form and was then greeted by gasps and looks of absolute horror by all the staff in the salon - they all crowded round and made a huge deal over it, treated me as if I was going to drop dead at any moment and were very hesitant about carrying out the treatment - it made me feel absolutely awful :'( At the end of the day we're "normal" people and not breakable, so don't worry too much!

I've never had to use a doctors note before, just filled out the consultation form & explained - and only ever had the problem I mentioned above happen that once. You should ask them whether their blood sugar levels are under control (so that you're aware that they may have a "low" - do you know the symptoms?), and ask what their sensitivity is like, as people who have very poorly controlled diabetes, or who have had it for a while, may experience a loss of sensation in the hands/feet, and may not actually realise it - so just be cautious and be a little more gentle when it comes to things like massage. Take care not to cut the skin as we tend to heal a little slower (but hopefully you'd try to avoid doing that anyway!), and diabetics tend to be more prone to bruising so take care to make sure skin is very taught before waxing etc. And putting feet in water is fine :)
Hope that's helped a little! Good luck xx

Im glad I found this thread. My insurers say that for me to be able to perform a treatment on someone who ahas anything other than diet controlled diabetes I must have a doctors note. Frustrating that it changes all the time.

I think it's crucial to check with each and everyone's insurers first before performing pedicures especially,on type 2 diabetes.
I say this because a lot will not cover you if you do not ask for a doctors note. It's all very well saying its ok but it's not ok if something should go wrong,ie someone loses a foot as a result of an infection caused through a nick in the cuticle or cutting the toenail too short causing complications.
I know someone that exactly this happened to. Not through going to a therapist but through poor foot care. My friends uncle lost his toe first then his foot,then his leg:eek:
I'm not trying to scaremonger but I am concerned that therapists may go ahead with pedicures etc and think they're covered when in fact it's quite probable that they won't be insured.
About 7 yrs ago my stepfather(who's now dead) collapsed and was rushed into hospital. He was admitted to a ward and as I sat there I realised that his big toe nail had been broken and left a very nasty,sharp point of nail which could easily have cut him and the sheet of the bed.
I called a nurse and said I thought it needed cutting as he could cut himself with it and she told me because he was diabetic she was not allowed to cut his toenail:eek:
I was horrified and expressed my concerns but she was adamant that she couldn't cut the nail,even though she agreed with me.
Now this was a medically qualified nurse and so if she was not allowed to cut his toenail then I would just double check as to if your insurers will cover you to cut nails or use cuticle nippers.
If they say yes then that's all good but just because some say it's ok doesn't necessarily mean it is and I wouldn't want to risk it without checking what the guidelines are with your own insurers. Hth

Latest posts

Back