Did anyone see...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joanne7174

Reaction score
The tv programme last night called too much too young ?? There was a ten year old girl who has nail extensions and spray tan regulary. I couldnt believe what I was seeing there is NO way I would ever let my daughter have extensions and spray tan at that age. I couldnt believe that the salon doing the nails wanted to be shown on tv either.:!:

The tv programme last night called too much too young ?? There was a ten year old girl who has nail extensions and spray tan regulary. I couldnt believe what I was seeing there is NO way I would ever let my daughter have extensions and spray tan at that age. I couldnt believe that the salon doing the nails wanted to be shown on tv either.:!:
I know! I thought maybe it was just me being a bit old fashioned, it did seem a bit much. I dont know of many 10 year olds that would be happy to sit still for 1hrs to get their nails done, I hope i never turn into a pushy mother, ha ha

Oh no, I missed it. I remember reading something about it then totally forgot.:rolleyes: What channel was it on and do you know if it will be repeated?

Our personal thoughts on good parenting practises should really not dictate our business practises as long as the child has parental consent. It is increased business for you.

I think you should ponder on how you would feel if someone was making judgements on YOUR parental decisions.

For the record, I too feel personally that 10 years old is on the young side to say the least for salon services, but I would never dream of inflicting my own standards on someone else and I would not want them to inflict theirs on me.

In some countries, children are betrothed at 11 years old!! It is not our way but clearly it is considered acceptable for some.

As long as what you are doing is safe and not immoral, leave the judgement calls to the parents of these children and do what is asked of you.

i watched it and what upset me more than all the unnecessary stuff she was having done (and pushed to have done by her mum)...was the attitude that had been fed into her about having to be pretty and thin to be liked.

personally i think the mother should be ashamed of herself...all she has achieved is raising a self absorbed, shallow and self conscious child.

She has taken her childhood away and seemed quite proud of it too.

again .... its not so much the nails, fake tan and make up that i disliked...it was the attitude behind it....that without this no-one would like her...and that ugly girls have no friends.

i watched it and what upset me more than all the unnecessary stuff she was having done (and pushed to have done by her mum)...was the attitude that had been fed into her about having to be pretty and thin to be liked.

personally i think the mother should be ashamed of herself...all she has achieved is raising a self absorbed, shallow and self conscious child.

She has taken her childhood away and seemed quite proud of it too.

again .... its not so much the nails, fake tan and make up that i disliked...it was the attitude behind it....that without this no-one would like her...and that ugly girls have no friends.

I did not see the show but agree with everything you say. These atitudes and perceptions will scar this child for life. So sad how some do not realise what they are doing or the long term effects which will result.
We all damage our children in one way or another, thankfully for most of us the damage is not of such a bad nature as to ruin our lives but I do know that my perception of myself is directly down to how my mother inflicted her own insecurities and baggage onto me from an early age. We all do it. It is hard to avoid passing it on. I have tried hard not to.

I also watched this last night,
I did actually post a thread but deleted it a few minutes later,I wasn't too sure about the way it would go,

I was also wondering if this was the documentry that used our candencealex's sunbeds ??

I was shocked at watching this I really was, My eldest is 10 , and yes she likes her nails done everynow and then, but with her its not a vanity thing, It's because she is proud of me and likes to show them off saying "my mum did them".
Both my kids often say they are fat , which I reply "you are not fat, you are gorgeous,and you are a growing " there is a big difference ,

I do think they may get a little of this from, me but i try not to show them how I feel about myself.
when I go on a diet, They are told, it is for health reasons to give me more energy, as junk food makes you sleepy, (which isn't a lie)
I tell them if they want a bag of crisps...bloomin well have them ..(just dont have 5 lol)
My kids understand about healthy eating not dieting , and also that a bit of junk food does you good,
I hope this all sticks as they get older.

The child who thinks everybody is jealous of her, Is sad, I actually feel sorry for her,
what attitude is that to give to a child,my kids see everyone as equals, when they do come home, and say something bad about the "not so well dressed kid" in school.
I just tell them to still be nice as she may not have nice clothes but may still make a bloomin good friend !

I do think the things on this documentry were shocking, but as we know, the media will only show the worst cases.
Im hoping this sort of thing is uncommon

Latest posts

Back