Did I choose the right brand?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChelleConnor

Reaction score
Hi Guys!
Youve probably seen me post about OPI GelColor quite often!
I was stuck between Gelish and OPI for a while and finally decided to train in OPI! I trained and qualified on 1st March.
Before this however I done three GelColor manicures for £20 each, I had done one on myself and one on my mum previous to this and had no problems. I explained to the clients that I hadnt had training and they were fine with this.
Anyway I done all three and two chipped after 2 days, one had only chipped on two fingers... I went round and repaired and they chipped again 3 days later. The other put on rubber gloves and the nails completely came off (This has been brought up in another thread)
Anyway the girls who had chips I offered a full refund but they only took half out of kindness. The 3rd manicure didnt seem to have any problems!
At my training I done a french manicure on my sister. A week later one of her thumbs had chipped, however this was through me overloading with the product. The rest of her nails have been fine.
I done a french on my mum on 5th March, this weekend she had a chip on her index finger, bit baffled as to why as I had applied everything fine. The rest of the nails have been fine.
On Thursday I done two more GelColor Manicures in Russian Navy and Lincoln Park After Dark! I am awaiting to see how they go.
The reason I am second guessing my choice of brand is because of the following:
1 - I seem to have many problems with chipping! The two girls that experienced chips within the couple of days I know wont come back to me!
2 - I sent around a text yesterday asking for some feedback, whether you would consider rebooking etc... The 3rd girl of the three manicures I did before training said her nails had been fine, when I asked her about rebooking she said her nails had chipped after a week and the treatment is not worth the £20 you pay she would rather use acrylics.
3 - When I asked the client from Thursday about what she thought of the product she loved it but doubted it would last 2 weeks! (She has already rebooked for three weeks time)

I am unsure why people doubt it. But I am beginning to doubt it already, I am no longer looking forward to people booking in this treatment as I know Ive had many problems with chipping!!
I have also advertised on Facebook, BBM & Text all my clients, I have had hardly any interest at all! I thought it would fly off the shelves to be honest!!
I am sad to say I am beginning to think I should have gone with Gelish :cry: as at the beauty show they had offers which would have meant I could have got so many colours!!
How do I get people interested? No one seems to fussed x

Well first you have to iron our your problems as to why it is chipping. You said you done your training so it's obvious you are doing everything correct.

I would call up whoever the distributer is and ask their advice.

It's no good if it's not going to last. X

Patience!

I use Gelish...although will be having a close look at the OPI Gel colour at Scottish Beauty next week and will trial it.

I have been doing Gelish for over a year now, and word of mouth grows your business, which can take a while ;)
I still have occasional clients who come back after 3 weeks and have chips....shock horror :eek:
Well actually, I am not shocked, as it is not a miracle product!!
Clients paint, decorate, garden, clean windows, forget to use cuticle oil, all manner of things they should take care with.

9 times out of 10 they know why it chipped ;) and it was nothing to do with me.

They still love the product, because the thing they love (and hardly seems to get a mention on here :rolleyes: ) is that it does not smudge! They do not need to walk about doing jazz hands for an hour after their appointment and can put gloves on and rummage about their bag! They love that :Love: !!

Maybe you need to ease off the doesn't chip marketing maybe stressing to your clients that their nails are jewels not tools, and promote the non smudge side of things!
Oh and did I mention having patience? :biggrin:

Totally agree with izzi, I don't use the same product but another brand, my clients love it because of the overall finish, zero dry time etc, I very rarely promote the 2 week manicure as it doesn't work for everybody me being one if them, I am however grateful that it lasts a week or so on me which is more than enamel which was a day or two! Bear with it, keep on going have faith in yourself and your products, as cliends aren't always faultless! :)

Why don't you try Gelish and see how it works? You can always buy one colour and try them on somebody and compare. If you have been trained as a nail technician you don't need any training for Gelish, just watch some videos and you'll be fine.

If you go through the threads you'll find many people having problem with clients who have oily nail bed coz it's one of the main reason that colour chip. Preping is very very important in doing gel polish.

Hi,
Thanks for all your replies!
I know it takes a while for a new treatment to pick up but I did expect alot more interest than I have had!
I was going to run OPI alongside Gelish but I have spent so mcuh on OPI I am worried about putting more money into it if its not going to take off!
Does everyone have a lot of clients booking in for this treatment? x

Hi,
Thanks for all your replies!
I know it takes a while for a new treatment to pick up but I did expect alot more interest than I have had!
I was going to run OPI alongside Gelish but I have spent so mcuh on OPI I am worried about putting more money into it if its not going to take off!
Does everyone have a lot of clients booking in for this treatment? x

Sounds to me as if you are making promises that NO product can keep.

People have clients who chip Gelish all the time and people have clients who get full wear from it, just as with any brand. It is the clients who make the difference to how a product wears. So stop telling every client that their nails will stay perfect no matter what.

Clients can expect good wear from anything if they take some care to look after them, have the right length and nails that are in reasonably good condition on which to apply the colour.

In any nail treatment I stress that NO product is indestructible and that if put under pressure breakages/chips can occur. I ask every client to treat their enhancements, in whichever system they have chosen, as they would treat their own, natural nails. No complaints so far!
Hope this helps x

I'm also using gelcolor and did my course on 8th march so seems we are pretty similarly new. I have only practised on myself at the moment and find my right hand chips and my left hand doesn't! I'm hoping though that this is because I am not very good at doing it with my left hand so am not applying it very well on my right.

I too am worried that when I start charging people it might not last or I will get complaints. But different products work better/worse on other people's nails. I find axxium lasts 5 weeks plus on my nails! But some gel polishes only last a week if I'm lucky. Also it's the condition of the person's nails. Just practice practice practice! Im in the same boat, hopefully we will look back in a few months time and wonder what all the worrying was about :)

OMG! i purchased the new gelcolor icon kit at the excel beauty show on 4th march, from the 6th march to current day i have done eight sets and one on myself, i did a crazy offer to start with for a few reasons:

1) to give me practise,
2) so people could try it,
3) to get some money coming back in,
4) to use it on as many different nail types as possible, to see how it goes.

and one of mine lifted at the free edge (because i had done it too thick) and another lady's chipped on a corner because her nail was flaky underneath, clients love it, try a crazy offer (when i say crazy i did a fb offer for £6 and a text offer for £8) i know its v cheap but they have booked in and are hooked now, even though i have told them the cost after the offer and they are hooked mainly because its so shiny and does not smudge. I tried to upload a picture of my french polished nails but i am rubbish i do have pics on my fb page though if anyone wants to have a look .hth

Hiya Girls!
Thanks for your replies!
Geeg I think your right, I am advertising it as a 21 day manicure so obviously clients are expecting 21days and they are then been disappointed when it doesnt last that long! I will now advertise it as zero drying time and shiny etc!
I know a few people are experiencing chips from another thread and have now found solutions!
Tommo ive done two sets on myself and thats what confuses me... mine last perfectly!
Emma Id be so scared to charge that price... are you mobile?
I may look into doing a cheap offer xxx

Hiya Girls!
Thanks for your replies!
Geeg I think your right, I am advertising it as a 21 day manicure so obviously clients are expecting 21days and they are then been disappointed when it doesnt last that long! I will now advertise it as zero drying time and shiny etc!
I know a few people are experiencing chips from another thread and have now found solutions!
Tommo ive done two sets on myself and thats what confuses me... mine last perfectly!
Emma Id be so scared to charge that price... are you mobile?
I may look into doing a cheap offer xxx

At least you know it's not the product if it lasts ok on your own nails!! X

Emma84, I bought mine at the show & it still hadn't been delivered! I can't wait to have a play & see what the product is like!! :)

I love it so do my clients I've had so many people have this and I'm now building up my gelcolor collection, everyone that paid the trial price has had it done again at the full price, happy days :D x

I got OPI system at Scottish Beauty Show do training on 2nd May u have me worried now .. I think reading between lines we just need lots of practice so anxious as cost such a lot of money :cool::cool:

Gelish is a fantastic brand, one reason you might be getting chips is because your clients natural nails aren't very strong and bend this causing the product to chip off. Gelish do a structure gel that gives more strength so this won't happen. I use gelish and once I know which clients get chips I use structure gel and then it doesn't happen and they get a full wear out of them!!!
Remember to tell your clients they are not as strong as acrylics and they can't be to heavy handed with them! HTH xx

I use Gelcolor alongside shellac and RARELY do I ever experience chips. A lot of that is because I know my clients and what length works best on their nails. Gelcolor is definitely a great product. But it's not acrylic or gel so it's not going to stand up to abuse.

As stated already, I would definitely troubleshoot with your supplier and any educators u can find. Call OPI themselves. Bc u should definitely be getting more than a week out of it.

And as stated already... Quoting a 21 day manicure is VERY hard to do. I always tell people "up to two weeks" that way they are not severely upset if they get a little chip after 10 days and they are turning flips if they last 3 weeks.

I purchased my OPI Gel Color before the launch at the beginning of March. Followed all the instructions and yes the results were not good. Yesterday I received some additional training at Aston & Fincher where the instruction now includes the use of bond aid before the base coat (this was definitely not on original instructions). It is also on the Lena White Website under 'trouble shooting'. So far I have only done one set with bond aid and can say that it is on my daughters fingers and so far so good!! As I know this product is in the kits now I assume all you fellow geeks have used it, but just in case you did not, then this is what they are now saying.:lol:

Hi I use gelish and my client come back chip free after 3 weeks! I love the stuff :) x

You definitely do not have to buy or use or take more time to apply a bonder to make Shellac stay on your clients nails :biggrin:

As I said in an earlier post, no one can guarantee 3 week wear with any colour coat. Clients may get 3 weeks out of any colour coat if they take great care of their nails. Your product will be only as good as your clients are at looking after it.

Gelish chips as much on certain clients and lifts and peels as much as any other product of its type. I don't believe anyone who tells you that the product they use lasts for 3 weeks flawlessly on every single client .... And the reason I don't believe it, is because it is not true.

Latest posts

Back