Did I choose the right brand?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased my OPI Gel Color before the launch at the beginning of March. Followed all the instructions and yes the results were not good. Yesterday I received some additional training at Aston & Fincher where the instruction now includes the use of bond aid before the base coat (this was definitely not on original instructions). It is also on the Lena White Website under 'trouble shooting'. :

Hi Liz,

Did you buy your base, topcoat and colour separately or as part of an Intro pack? If you've used a Gel system before, it's usual to dehydrate the nail plate before applying the first layer of Gel/base coat.

I bought the starter pack that includes the LED lamp. It does say to use BondAid on the 'Tabletop Instruction' card found in the Intro pack and also on the supplied DVD. The BondAid is supplied in an Intro pack.

Perhaps you didn't receive any of these?

Last edited:
Liz, are you using NAS99? I personally use ScrubFresh because I already had it to hand and its a fabulous product! I pep the nails then use ScrubFresh. I apply a generous amount of BondAid to nail and free edge. Finally apply Basecoat then colour etc. I use D-Sperse to remove inhibition layer but you can use NAS99 as far as I am aware.

My GelColor in Big Red Apple - lasted for two and half weeks and I only had one chip on my thumb!

One of my clients - who cannot keep Shellac on for more than 4 days, hers lasted for over two weeks; she was admitted to hospital and I had to go in and remove it!! she was devastated it had to be removed!! her nails were perfect and had actually grown to a great length!

Girls - don't give up hope, its a great product...... :hug:

Yes I use scrub fresh too, although I also have NAS 99, I also have been using the de-solve for removing the residue. Has anyone tried the new opi lcd lamp to cure shellac with? otherwise I will have to have two lamps on the go!

Yes I use scrub fresh too, although I also have NAS 99, I also have been using the de-solve for removing the residue. Has anyone tried the new opi lcd lamp to cure shellac with? otherwise I will have to have two lamps on the go!

Hi Hun

Ok firstly it's DISPERSE to remove the sticky layer not DESOLVE which will remove the gel completely or at least damage the surface.

Secondly you can't cure shellac with an LED lamp because it is not a gel it is a power polish curable only by CND UV lamp as recommended by the manufacturer.

Hope this makes things clearer for you xxxx

So girls has anyone tried prepping with both ScrubFresh and NAS99??
Which one is better? And has anyone had chips while using NAS99 but using Scrubfresh they dont? And vice versa?
Thanks x

ScrubFresh is the best prep solution existence!

I agree with that despite having the slowest and strangest prep routine Geeg has ever seen eh Geeg :wink2: :lol: I just love SCRUBFRESH. Does it make a difference.

Yes I think it does xx

I agree with that despite having the slowest and strangest prep routine Geeg has ever seen eh Geeg :wink2: :lol: I just love SCRUBFRESH. Does it make a difference.

Yes I think it does xx

Not the strangest love, just the slowest! Lol. :hug:

Not the strangest love, just the slowest! Lol. :hug:

Geeg I would love you to make a video on you doing a shella application to see how you do it :). I'm sure everyone would like that :)

Geeg I would love you to make a video on you doing a shella application to see how you do it :). I'm sure everyone would like that :)
Well, I do have perhaps my own application 'tricks', but nothing I haven't shared with every geek on here ... As for PREP, I don't think I do anything miraculously different in my prep ... Just thorough dry prep.

You want me to do a Holly? Lol. First I don't have the equipment and second Holly has done so many, so well, why would I want to re-invent the wheel?

I applied Shellac to about 1000 nails (seemed that way anyway lol) at the Scottish Beauty Show last year so it might be possible to catch me at a show ... But we have our fab education ambassadors that work the shows and do it all so well now ... I really am not needed I don't honestly think. But thanks for asking. :hug:

Oh I know the EA's are fab aswell but you are like a queen to all us on here haha!

And you are right, Holly does those videos so well :) x

Whoops sorry, typo on the d.sperse!
So far cannot say if there is a difference between scrub-fresh/NAS99 in terms of results. I have done 3 sets of nails using NAS 99, so next 3 I will use scrub fresh and see if there is any difference. Gosh this nail stuff is very technical! Even within the same range I am discovering that different colours require a different method of application! lol. So any advice regarding application of Shellac and OPI Gel Color would be greatly appreciated from all you experienced geeks!

Whoops sorry, typo on the d.sperse!
So far cannot say if there is a difference between scrub-fresh/NAS99 in terms of results. I have done 3 sets of nails using NAS 99, so next 3 I will use scrub fresh and see if there is any difference. Gosh this nail stuff is very technical! Even within the same range I am discovering that different colours require a different method of application! lol. So any advice regarding application of Shellac and OPI Gel Color would be greatly appreciated from all you experienced geeks!

You have to be adaptable as a nail technician .... Many things change the consistency of products, from different temperatures to different pigments ... you have to roll with it and to adapt. I would advise a class, as always, to learn all about the products you are using so you can use them efficiently and correctly.

Nothing like being taught by experts who know the products inside and out .. and yes 'this nail STUFF' is very technical :) and if you want to do well and to become an expert yourself, I would advise a class. there is not a beauty therapist I have ever met, who has not told me that nails and the science behind the products was more complicated than anything they had ever learned.

I love it so do my clients I've had so many people have this and I'm now building up my gelcolor collection, everyone that paid the trial price has had it done again at the full price, happy days :D x
Sounds great! Did your clients booked it when they frist time try and come back after 2weeks? or 3 weeks? Why I find that so difficult to make my clients rebook again??? Do you have any good ideas? thanksxxx

Latest posts

Back