Did I do the right thing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tink85

Reaction score
I know everyone is going to jump on me and say it takes time to build a business, which I know, but I am losing the will to live. Heres my story....

I qualified as a nail tech many years ago and just did a bit of mobile in addition to my full time job but always dreamed of having my own salon.

After being made redundant I decided to open a salon, created a business plan and got a loan.

We are now in our 5th week - we have had some returning customers, but I have not had the amount trought the door that I would have expected.

We are on a high street in the centre of town, prominent position. I have leafleted (which we have had some response from) have facebook, ran offers, yet the diary is still looking pretty empty and the money is starting to run out and Im panicking!!

I think I just need someone to give me a stern talking too and tell me to stick with it.

However occasionally when i'm having a bad day something good happens - 4 days ago someone stopped me on the street to tell me her nails I had done the week before were wonderful, she still loved them and she would recommend us and just now as I was sat typing this feeling sorry for myself client whose toes I did for her holiday has just come back said she still loved them and has booked in thi afternoon for acrylics.

Did I do the right thing?? Do I stick with it?

im a newly licensed manicurist and still have a lot to learn but what i can tell you is dont give up! Especially if this is your passion. You might have jumped the gun and opened your salon too soon but here is where you are now. Try to get the word out about your salon as much as possible. We all know that word of mouth is the best advertisement and you said it yourself that those clients were pleased with their service. Keep at it! Opening any business is tough. Good luck and best wishes!!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using SalonGeek mobile app

Could you host an event maybe to get people in? I run a little jewellery business as well as learning to do nails and I have done a few "shopping" evenings at salons that are fairly new. They usually just have a clothes lady, handbags lady and sometimes someone selling the little baby shoes that are popular at the moment.

You need to read The Secret!! Keep your thoughts positive. X

thanks mkanno. sal - that's a really good idea! I think i'll have a look into it. I didn't do an opening day, but I think I may do one, flyer the area and offer free file and polish on the day for the first say 10 people and also get in touch with any local jewellery and dress suppliers to see if they would like to use the salon on the day to promote their business also. With the power of facebook these days it could possibly open up a whole new line of potential clients.

You need to read The Secret!! Keep your thoughts positive. X

I think ive heard of this! Ill have a look on amazon now x

Yes stick with it! You are only on your 5th week... Of course you wont be fully booked all day everyday-yet. It takes time for good word to get around & for people to notice you.

You have taken a huge step going for a high street salon, dont give up now :)

Good luck. Xx

thanks for the support guys - just having one of those days I think - feeling a bit down about everything. Just had another returner come in so I'm starting to feel better :)

There's a documentary if you don't have time to read the book. Also called 'The Secret' :)

Five weeks open??? .. this is not the time to start questioning whether or not you did the right thing; Maybe in 2 years!!! If you have people returning then that is your thermometer to success.

Five weeks open??? .. this is not the time to start questioning whether or not you did the right thing; Maybe in 2 years!!! If you have people returning then that is your thermometer to success.

I know! I'm being daft! I'm just a worrier! x

I know! I'm being daft! I'm just a worrier! x

That is not a bad thing .. but positivity is better. If you are good, how can you fail? .. that is the question I always asked myself and I never have failed because I was and am better than good. ALWAYS strive to be the best even when you know you are and you will always prosper.. be honest ... have integrity .. be proud of the things you offer. You will do well. Don't let the ego get in the way. :hug:

I agree, get reading the secret, visualising your salon choca bloc and people having to wait for an appointment, channel only positive thoughts and you will get positive back..the law of attraction.

Since may iv been crazy crazy busy. As soon as the kids broke up from school.

Quiet.

I also work in a very busy customer service job, we are really quiet. The roads are quiet, town is quiet. I think most people are on their jollies! Give it till September it will soon pick up xx

Since may iv been crazy crazy busy. As soon as the kids broke up from school.

Quiet.

I also work in a very busy customer service job, we are really quiet. The roads are quiet, town is quiet. I think most people are on their jollies! Give it till September it will soon pick up xx

Alot of people certainly are, my mum runs a camp site & they are fully booked til September :) xx

I agree, I am always booked up & next week I only have 3 ! (shocking for me! lol) I needed a bit of space though to do the school clothes shopping so I really am not complaining ... For every client who returns offer them a £2 discount off their next treatment if they can find another paying client for you.... Incentives usually work well. That way you can hopefully pave the way for your clients to return...

It has always been and will always be 'swings and roundabouts'. This time of year is nearly always quieter than when the year is in full swing. I don't think that is ever going to change; it hasn't in the 35 years that I have been in the business.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm on a high street in the centre of a town and TBH it has been quiet on the roads and pavements. I had a cheeky walk past all "the competition" the other day and all of them had only 1 client in or none at all. I know that doesn't resemble their diary and might just have been the time of day or whatever but it ws still quite reassuring :)

This week I have to say has been better, despite the fact I have had to take quite a bit of time off due to a close relative passing away. Sold quite a few sunbed courses, had happy returning customers and had people telling me that people are talking about my salon and have only good things to say - always good to hear!!

Latest posts

Back