Did I do the right thing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josafeenlashes

Miss Nailashious
Reaction score
Morning fellow geeks,

I'm a newly qualified lash tech (2 months!) so have never experienced this before...I just wanted to know if I did the right thing?

I had a new client call on Monday looking for some infills. She'd had her lashes on for 3 weeks & said she still had loads on but wanted some advice on whether to leave them as they are & let them run it's course until they naturally fall out or whether she should have infills. She wants a new fresh set done for her holiday in 3 weeks & didn't really want to be without them so, I discussed the options with her but advised that I couldn't really tell her what she needed until I had seen her lashes. I also advised that as it wasn't my work, what I could do for her would be dependent on what she already had & if I was able to! Anyways, i booked her in for some infills last night, went round to her home (I am mobile) and at a first glance her lashes looked ok! Still had quite a few left so we agreed to do infills. She lay down on the bed etc etc & as soon as she did I just thought...oh my goodness! Her lash line was THICK with glue; as I'm combing her lashes through the comb kept getting caught & pulling. Some extensions had 4 natural lashes attached to it, others were hanging on by a thread, it just looked a mess! I tried to remove the ones that were on their way out & tried to part the lashes that were stuck together but it was impossible...there was just so much glue I couldn't do it. I had to apologise to the lady & advised her that I simply could not infill her lashes with the state they were in. I explained why (which she was entirely grateful for!) and advised that they should really all be taken off rather than just left. Again I explained about the damage they could cause to her natural lashes if left to which she was, once again, very grateful that I was being honest rather then just in-filling them for the money. You could even see where some of her natural lashes had either fallen out or had been pulled out but were still attached to neighbouring lash extensions! It took me an hour to remove them (plus half an hour before I'd even realised all of this to remove all of her makeup...which I kindly asked her to remove before I got there!) because they were so full of glue & gunk!

Luckily her natural lashes weren't too damaged underneath but she did have some gaps which she said she didn't have before. I only charged her £10 to remove etc cos I felt so bad for her. She loved her lashes (she'd never had extensions before this) so thought the way they were attached was normal! It later turns out that her & her daughter had got a deal with Groupon! £17 for a full set! She'd been given no aftercare information, no advice on how to look after them whatsoever which I think is part of the reason why they were so terrible.

All I really want to know is did I do the right thing as in advise to take them off? She was happy & grateful with my advice but gutted she didn't have any lashes on! I told her to give me a ring as soon as she was ready for a new set & I will do them for her...properly (oh just FYI I didn't bad mouth the tech that did her lashes before...I just advised that there are so many different companies offering training & that paying less isn't always the best!! You get what you pay for I guess!!)

Apologies for the LOOOOOOONG post...couldn't think of a way to make it shorter without missing a load out!!

Any advice welcome on what you would have done in this situation. Thank you :)

Jo xx

Yes you definitely did the right thing. A lot of clients look in the mirror and see a thick set of lashes so think its great but they don't have the training to spot a badly applied set.

Sent from my XT1052 using SalonGeek mobile app

Well done for sticking to your guns. You knew the lashes would cause damage if left in, so I imagine your client was more than grateful to you for pointing that out. Unfortunately with Groupon, some salons offer the treatments with inexperienced staff to give them experience, others are so busy they find themselves rushing treatments. Going forward, don't undervalue yourself or your prices. I think you've said you've told this lady you'll do a special offer for her next set of lashes but make it known what your real price is. The fact that you'll do a good job and your priority is the health of her lashes and eyes will make her want to come back.

Latest posts

Back