Did I get gel nails? HELP!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeinthewood

Reaction score
So i heard that gel nails were much better for your nails as opposed to acrylic. So I did some research so that i knew what to expect when i went down to the salon. I got to my appointment and expected to set the gel under a UV light, and for the nail technicnition to use GEL... yet they did not. They told me I was getting gel nails, and on their desk of tools, they had 2 pots of powder. One labelled GEL and one labelled ACRYLIC. He got a brush, dipped it in what seemed to be acetone and then put it in the gel powder, and then applied this to my nails. There was no UV light.

Just wondering, what was applied to my nails? is it bad for them? If i wasn't given GEL nails when i asked for them, what do i do now?

How quickly were the nails done? it is definitley not gel if it was not cured under a uv light hun, and its sounds like you have been to a non standard salon did he use a drill ? xx

Im no expert but it doesn't seem like any gel I've personally heard of. I'm that when rest of the nail geeks get on in the morning they will give u loads of help and advice Hun. But if it was me I'd go to salon and explain what u thought should happen with Gel nails and ask for info on their products ect. Xx

I think you were expecting a soak off gel like BioSculpture etc which you obviously have not got. These gels are overlaid on you nails in a similar-ish manner to polish and (as you were expecting) are cured under uv light.

You should return to the salon and tell them this is not what you asked for.

But depending on the type of salon it was I am not sure how far you will get with your request.

They should certainly remove it for you if nothing else.

And then find another place and be sure to tell them you want a soak off gel and not acrylic.

I wish I could be more helpful but wait and see who else comes along to give advice.

Jacqui xx

How quickly were the nails done? it is definitley not gel if it was not cured under a uv light hun, and its sounds like you have been to a non standard salon did he use a drill ? xx

He was trying to do them quickly, so I think if he'd have taken his time it wouldve taken about 45 minutes, however because he was rushing, it only took 30 minutes. What does the thing he used on my nails sound like? I would say I'm impressed with whatever it was- I'm a nail biter and its my first time getting gel nails done so that I can hopefully kick the habit, but the nails themselves are strong and smooth and really lovely.
You're kind of alarming me by saying drill, he did use what looked like an electric nail file which he could change the head on, he used about 4 different head attachments to file and buff my nails. Do you think its worth getting infills or removing them and going somewhere else?

So i heard that gel nails were much better for your nails as opposed to acrylic. So I did some research so that i knew what to expect when i went down to the salon. I got to my appointment and expected to set the gel under a UV light, and for the nail technicnition to use GEL... yet they did not. They told me I was getting gel nails, and on their desk of tools, they had 2 pots of powder. One labelled GEL and one labelled ACRYLIC. He got a brush, dipped it in what seemed to be acetone and then put it in the gel powder, and then applied this to my nails. There was no UV light.

Just wondering, what was applied to my nails? is it bad for them? If i wasn't given GEL nails when i asked for them, what do i do now?

They sound like acrylic hun. Was the liquid you thought was acetone a purpley coulour?

I think you were expecting a soak off gel like BioSculpture etc which you obviously have not got. These gels are overlaid on you nails in a similar-ish manner to polish and (as you were expecting) are cured under uv light.

You should return to the salon and tell them this is not what you asked for.

But depending on the type of salon it was I am not sure how far you will get with your request.

They should certainly remove it for you if nothing else.

And then find another place and be sure to tell them you want a soak off gel and not acrylic.

I wish I could be more helpful but wait and see who else comes along to give advice.

Jacqui xx

The salon seems to be a family business owned by asians, who bearly speak english. It was either that one or a salon called manhattan nails which I'd heard bad things about, so went for the small family run business.it seems I was wrong.
Do you think removal is the best option here then? Its annoying that I've paid out £30 and will have to pay for them to be removed and then to be redone correctly elsewhere

Did they re-iterate what you wanted, i.e. did they fully understand what you wanted? It sounds like acrylic to me, dipping in a liquid (which would be monomer) then into a powder (acrylic) is acrylic nails. And if it was a 'non-standard-salon' (lol, love how we call those salons this!) then that acrylic's gonna be a nightmare to get off. Clues are: if they were done in around 40 mins, they used a drill, and used products from not-properly labled (i.e. manufacturer's lables) containers.

Did he stick tips on your nails before applying the product? Are they like, rock solid nails that click when you tap them? As opposed to gels which feel softer and are more flexible.

sorry by drill I mean an electric file, its sounds to me like liquid and powder which is mostly referred to as acrylic, it could be mma which is not a good product do you have any details of the shop? it should take a good tech atleast an hour. Did he drill directly on your nail and did it hurt at all ? x

You have definitely had acrylic nails applied. The simple fact that one pot said GEL and the other ACRYLIC shows that the labels are purely there for the clients eyes.
But.....(apart from the fact that you sound like you went to an NNS which is a law unto itself) don't be alarmed that you have acrylic nails instead of gel. Gel IS NOT better for your nails, gel is actually a form of acrylic. They are simply different products that work in slightly different ways, but as long as they are applied PROPERLY no one is BETTER or SAFER than the other.
x

Yes :/ xx

In my experience thats acrylic! Don't worry though. If you are happy with the end result then leave them for now and then see how you fee in a couple of weeks when they need filling in. Then maybe go to a nail salon where you can speak to them about what you can do next. They can advise you on either filling in or soaking off and going for the gel. Try and find someone who isn't cheap and quick. It takes me a good hour to do a new set and I've been doing it about 10 years now. The other geeks may be able to advise you better tho
Hth xx

Meant to add gels and liquid and powder are not bad for your nails, its the damage that can be done by a tech over filing your nails or the client picking, biting them off that causes damage. xx

Im no expert but it doesn't seem like any gel I've personally heard of. I'm that when rest of the nail geeks get on in the morning they will give u loads of help and advice Hun. But if it was me I'd go to salon and explain what u thought should happen with Gel nails and ask for info on their products ect. Xx

thank you :) xxx

He was trying to do them quickly, so I think if he'd have taken his time it wouldve taken about 45 minutes, however because he was rushing, it only took 30 minutes. What does the thing he used on my nails sound like? I would say I'm impressed with whatever it was- I'm a nail biter and its my first time getting gel nails done so that I can hopefully kick the habit, but the nails themselves are strong and smooth and really lovely.
You're kind of alarming me by saying drill, he did use what looked like an electric nail file which he could change the head on, he used about 4 different head attachments to file and buff my nails. Do you think its worth getting infills or removing them and going somewhere else?

YEP, acrylics, non-standard-salon, used a drill...etc. They tend to use acrylic that the more 'professional' nail techs on here would not touch with a barge pole.

I recommend you have them soaked off and go to somewhere else - you are wanting either soak off gel polish such as Gelac, Shellac etc (they are natural looking, just over your natural nail) or sculpted gels like Bio-sculpture by NSI (these are more enhancements and add length)

sorry by drill I mean an electric file, its sounds to me like liquid and powder which is mostly referred to as acrylic, it could be mma which is not a good product do you have any details of the shop? it should take a good tech atleast an hour. Did he drill directly on your nail and did it hurt at all ? x

yes he did do it directly on my nail, and it didn't hurt. I got them applied at about 2 in the afternoon, and in the evening and morning after, my nails were painful, but it's gone away now xx

In my experience thats acrylic! Don't worry though. If you are happy with the end result then leave them for now and then see how you fee in a couple of weeks when they need filling in. Then maybe go to a nail salon where you can speak to them about what you can do next. They can advise you on either filling in or soaking off and going for the gel. Try and find someone who isn't cheap and quick. It takes me a good hour to do a new set and I've been doing it about 10 years now. The other geeks may be able to advise you better tho
Hth xx

Thank you! i think i might just do that... but i'll wait until they need filling in. I might go to a different nail place and just say 'can you tell me if these are gel or not' and then see where to go. Thank you for your help :) xxx

Whatever you do...

DO NOT PRY THEM OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

You have definitely had acrylic nails applied. The simple fact that one pot said GEL and the other ACRYLIC shows that the labels are purely there for the clients eyes.
But.....(apart from the fact that you sound like you went to an NNS which is a law unto itself) don't be alarmed that you have acrylic nails instead of gel. Gel IS NOT better for your nails, gel is actually a form of acrylic. They are simply different products that work in slightly different ways, but as long as they are applied PROPERLY no one is BETTER or SAFER than the other.
x

Okay thank you, for reassuring me about the acrylics :) i don't think i will be going to this salon again! xxx

It depends on what you actually want from your nails.

Soak off gels are not going to be as hard wearing as what you currently have on.

Some of the methods employed by this kind of salon will result in your nails being thin as paper and bendy and flakey when the enhancement finally comes off. NOT because of the acrylic system in use but because of likely bad practice to the natural nail in preparing for the process.

So if you want strong healthy nails I would suggest a soak off gel or that you find a good nail tech who will apply quality acrylic enhancements in a manner that will protect your nails as much as possible.

If you want nails that can stand up to pretty much anything but will almost certainly result in nails that will be ruined at the end of it, stay with what you have.

I hope this helps you a little bit.

Jacqui xx

Latest posts

Back