Did I get gel nails? HELP!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What area are you from? There maybe a nail tech near your town that can help you out. If not I'd look for salons that offer Bio Sculpture Gel, CND, NSI, OPI products. (There's loads more but can't think quick enough lol) This way you will know they aren't a salon similar to where you went :)

YEP, acrylics, non-standard-salon, used a drill...etc. They tend to use acrylic that the more 'professional' nail techs on here would not touch with a barge pole.

I recommend you have them soaked off and go to somewhere else - you are wanting either soak off gel polish such as Gelac, Shellac etc (they are natural looking, just over your natural nail) or sculpted gels like Bio-sculpture by NSI (these are more enhancements and add length)

Okay thank you. When i go to a different salon, I'll make sure to ask for sculpted gels like Bio-sculpture, and make sure I get what i asked for xxx

It depends on what you actually want from your nails.

Soak off gels are not going to be as hard wearing as what you currently have on.

Some of the methods employed by this kind of salon will result in your nails being thin as paper and bendy and flakey when the enhancement finally comes off. NOT because of the acrylic system in use but because of likely bad practice to the natural nail in preparing for the process.

So if you want strong healthy nails I would suggest a soak off gel or that you find a good nail tech who will apply quality acrylic enhancements in a manner that will protect your nails as much as possible.

If you want nails that can stand up to pretty much anything but will almost certainly result in nails that will be ruined at the end of it, stay with what you have.

I hope this helps you a little bit.

Jacqui xx

Okay thank you Jacqui :) I'll be sure to keep that in mind. xxx

What area are you from? There maybe a nail tech near your town that can help you out. If not I'd look for salons that offer Bio Sculpture Gel, CND, NSI, OPI products. (There's loads more but can't think quick enough lol) This way you will know they aren't a salon similar to where you went :)

I live in berkshire. I went to a salon called The Nail Bar (you can google them but nothing really comes up) and the only other one in town is called Manahttan Nails, for which if you google, there are 50:50 bad reviews. And I've had 3 friends tell me not to go there, as they've had bad expirences. xx

Haha, the advice is coming thick and fast .. can you type quick enough to keep up with it lol.

Jacqui xx

Yes!! Do not pick or bite..... worst thing you can do!!! :)

yeah, that's the habit i'm trying to get out of :( but now i'm thinking and worrying about my nails more than ever because i haven't got what i asked for :/ xxx

Did they re-iterate what you wanted, i.e. did they fully understand what you wanted? It sounds like acrylic to me, dipping in a liquid (which would be monomer) then into a powder (acrylic) is acrylic nails. And if it was a 'non-standard-salon' (lol, love how we call those salons this!) then that acrylic's gonna be a nightmare to get off. Clues are: if they were done in around 40 mins, they used a drill, and used products from not-properly labled (i.e. manufacturer's lables) containers.

Did he stick tips on your nails before applying the product? Are they like, rock solid nails that click when you tap them? As opposed to gels which feel softer and are more flexible.

Yes, they fully understood, because i did query the fact that it was a powder and not a gel and he said it was still gel nails. Yes he stuck tips on (because i bite my nails i wanted the extentions) and yes they are rock solid and make a noise when i tap them.. xxx

hahaha oh my, I had a good laugh!

My nails always make noise when I tap them. In fact, I tap them constantly. Bad habit.

Let your nails settle down for a few days. They're likely to be a tad sore at some point, maybe in the morning. Let them grow out for two weeks. Find someone on this forum here who is in your area that can fill them for you. You'll need to get the damage to grow out. It will be worse if you remove them.

hahaha oh my, I had a good laugh!

My nails always make noise when I tap them. In fact, I tap them constantly. Bad habit.

Let your nails settle down for a few days. They're likely to be a tad sore at some point, maybe in the morning. Let them grow out for two weeks. Find someone on this forum here who is in your area that can fill them for you. You'll need to get the damage to grow out. It will be worse if you remove them.

So you're saying they're damaged? Oh i hope there is somebody on this forum in my area! If they're growing out, will i need to trim them or anything? or just let them get longer? Thank you for being honest :) xxx

Definitley sounds like its been a nss salon, not sure how big berkshire is, but I just typed nail tech in yell.com quite a few came up, you can also look under beauticians to. As others have said I'd advise you to find a salon using good quality products and have a chat see what they can do for you hope this helps xx

Definitley sounds like its been a nss salon, not sure how big berkshire is, but I just typed nail tech in yell.com quite a few came up, you can also look under beauticians to. As others have said I'd advise you to find a salon using good quality products and have a chat see what they can do for you hope this helps xx

Yes berkshire is quite big, but I can really only get to the salons in Newbury, and there are only two (one of which i've already been to) so that's going to be an issue. It's a good idea of yours to look for beauticians, there are quite a few here so i'll give them a ring and see if they do nails. thank you :) xx

So you're saying they're damaged? Oh i hope there is somebody on this forum in my area! If they're growing out, will i need to trim them or anything? or just let them get longer? Thank you for being honest :) xxx

If he used the electric file on your natural nail, they will most likely be damaged.

Not to worry though, by finding a good tech, you will be juuuuust fine!

No worries hun, hope you find someone so glad you came on here as so many clients have their nails runined by these places, so you've had a lucky escape! if you need any more help us geeks are alway here :D xx

Yes berkshire is quite big, but I can really only get to the salons in Newbury, and there are only two (one of which i've already been to) so that's going to be an issue. It's a good idea of yours to look for beauticians, there are quite a few here so i'll give them a ring and see if they do nails. thank you :) xx

No worries hun, hope you find someone so glad you came on here as so many clients have their nails runined by these places, so you've had a lucky escape! if you need any more help us geeks are alway here :D xx

Yeah you've been so helpful. Its such a relief to find people who can help, and are willing to :) so glad I stumbled accross this site. Thank you and everyone :D xxx

Okay thank you. When i go to a different salon, I'll make sure to ask for sculpted gels like Bio-sculpture, and make sure I get what i asked for xxx

you done need to ask for sculpted nails or a soak off gel to get a good healthy set of nails, i do mainly tips and i use a ibd gel which is not a soak off gel and i never have any complaints about damage or anything !!!!!!

What a lot of missinformation in this thread.

It starts with the notion that gels are better than acrylic nails

I use an electric file, my powders are in decorative jars on my desk and not the original large manufacturers container, am i supposed to be a non standard salon ?

Also, a soak off gel polish is not going to be a good choice for a severe nail biter, a file off gel or especially liquid and powder acrylic will be a much better product to give this client nail extensions .

I use an electric file, my powders are in decorative jars on my desk and not the original large manufacturers container, am i supposed to be a non standard salon ?

Also, a soak off gel polish is not going to be a good choice for a severe nail biter, a file off gel or especially liquid and powder acrylic will be a much better product to give this client nail extensions .

I agree! I'm rather bemused by this whole thread actually!

To the OP, if you are a severe nail biter I suggest you go to a reputable salon and have your nails soaked off and replaced with a liquid and powder or hard gel system. Some technicians will infill they type of nails you have until they have grown out.

Going back to the salon saying you didn't get what you asked for is not a solution. In the type of salon you went to they call the powder a 'gel' as it forms a 'gel'. It just isn't a UV gel which is, presumably, what you meant.

£30 is not much to pay for a full set of enhancements. Highly trained technicians using good quality products will charge more than this (I'll wait for all those disagreeing with this statement :lol:) but cost doesn't guarantee a good service.

I agree! I'm rather bemused by this whole thread actually!

To the OP, if you are a severe nail biter I suggest you go to a reputable salon and have your nails soaked off and replaced with a liquid and powder or hard gel system. Some technicians will infill they type of nails you have until they have grown out.

Going back to the salon saying you didn't get what you asked for is not a solution. In the type of salon you went to they call the powder a 'gel' as it forms a 'gel'. It just isn't a UV gel which is, presumably, what you meant.

£30 is not much to pay for a full set of enhancements. Highly trained technicians using good quality products will charge more than this (I'll wait for all those disagreeing with this statement :lol:) but cost doesn't guarantee a good service.

I'm not a severe nail biter, i've seen people with nails just like mine, but they cut them that short. So 'a liquid and powder or hard gel system.' - what does this mean? I assume i currently have acrylics and am hoping my nails aren't damaged too much :/

These were my nails before: (as you can see i don't think i am a severe nail biter)

2yy5ngy.jpg

These are my nails after :

2uikmdj.jpg

Do these nails look suitable for my natural nails?

Latest posts

Back