Did I hear someone say holo chrome nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheeka

Reaction score
I'm sure I saw a post about these recently, but couldn't turn it up. Anyway, I decided to play... :)

Holo Chrome Swatches 540.png

This is a holographic pigment called Spectraprism I got off Etsy a couple of months ago (nail safe, usual rules apply about mask etc).

The four on the left are over iLac colours and the five on the right are over Shellac.

Here's what I did:
  • 2 x colour coat
  • 1 x top coat (iLac Rock/Shellac Original - Express 5 didn't work too well for me)
  • Remove tacky layer with a DRY lint free wipe. The nail should look matte and smooth.
  • Pick up a tiny amount of pigment on an eyeshadow applicator
  • Lightly pat pigment over the nail, then burnish. I didn't need to use much pressure at all.
  • Remove excess with a duster/make up brush
  • 1 x top coat
I'd tried this previously with a no wipe top coat, but the pigment just didn't stick - glad I kept going and tried the dry wipe method because it's worked a treat!

Will be doing this on my own nails next week to see what wear is like :eek: Two coats of top coat to finish, I think (hey, three coats of top coat will be a dream to remove, right? ;) :D)

I'm sure I saw a post about these recently, but couldn't turn it up. Anyway, I decided to play... :)

View attachment 199630

This is a holographic pigment called Spectraprism I got off Etsy a couple of months ago (nail safe, usual rules apply about mask etc).

The four on the left are over iLac colours and the five on the right are over Shellac.

Here's what I did:
  • 2 x colour coat
  • 1 x top coat (iLac Rock/Shellac Original - Express 5 didn't work too well for me)
  • Remove tacky layer with a DRY lint free wipe. The nail should look matte and smooth.
  • Lightly pat pigment over the nail, then burnish. I didn't need to use much pressure at all.
  • 1 x top coat
I'd tried this previously with a no wipe top coat, but the pigment just didn't stick - glad I kept going and tried the dry wipe method because it's worked a treat!

Will be doing this on my own nails next week to see what wear is like :eek: Two coats of top coat to finish, I think (hey, three coats of top coat will be a dream to remove, right? ;) :D)
Gorgeous xx

Can someone recommend a uk supplier for the holo powders please xxx

Magpie are bringing 2 out soon :)

Can someone recommend a uk supplier for the holo powders please xxx

I got mine from Cosmic Glows - they've got an online shop, and a store on Etsy. The pigment is called Spectraprism, it's safe to use on nails and I love it! :D

View attachment 199630

Here's what I did:
  • 2 x colour coat
  • 1 x top coat

Do these not just wear off like the chrome though along the free edge as its the same method being used and so many people.had problems with chrome so im hesitant to invest in this product.

Do these not just wear off like the chrome though along the free edge as its the same method being used and so many people.had problems with chrome so im hesitant to invest in this product.

My honest answer is that I don't know yet. I've currently got a holochrome nail and a chrome nail on each hand, so will be able to give a more helpful answer in a few days time. For what it's worth, I'm 3 days in and so far so good :)

I've just tried my holo pigment and it's been a nightmare [emoji85][emoji30]
I tried with a non wipe top coat, standard top coat and dry wiped and the pigment just seems to slide off the nail!!!!!
It's driving me mad!!!!!

I tried with a non wipe top coat, standard top coat and dry wiped and the pigment just seems to slide off the nail!!!!!
It's driving me mad!!!!!

Can you try it with glaze and go?

It's driving me mad!!!!!

I'll hazard a guess I'm not doing anything different to what you've already tried, but I have got a short 'how to holochrome' video up on my instagram, if that's of any use. There's a link on my profile page x

I'll hazard a guess I'm not doing anything different to what you've already tried, but I have got a short 'how to holochrome' video up on my instagram, if that's of any use. There's a link on my profile page x

I've managed to eventually get some holographic effect but it took ages. Literally dabbing into the non wipe top coat and gently blowing the excess off and then top coating and curing and repeating the steps [emoji85]
I thought it would be scrubbing into the nail like chrome. Absolutely drove me mad [emoji23]
I'll have a look at your video though, thanks [emoji16]

This is the holo effect I got...
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1470957391.598464.jpg

GlitterArty on Facebook / eBay have 2 kinds of Holos, the super holo she does is gorgeous x10000 I received it today and you apply it just like chrome! Totally inlove with it and I'm being mean and keeping it for me and close clients as I only have 1g of it! I recommend using NSI glaze and go led as your base for the powder, it goes on flawlessly :)

My honest answer is that I don't know yet. I've currently got a holochrome nail and a chrome nail on each hand, so will be able to give a more helpful answer in a few days time. For what it's worth, I'm 3 days in and so far so good :)
Would be interested in seeing the results. Chrome wore at the free edge after just a few days... so be very interested to see if this pigment is any better wearing.

GlitterArty on Facebook / eBay have 2 kinds of Holos, the super holo she does is gorgeous x10000 I received it today and you apply it just like chrome! Totally inlove with it and I'm being mean and keeping it for me and close clients as I only have 1g of it! I recommend using NSI glaze and go led as your base for the powder, it goes on flawlessly :)

Can you send me a link to the Facebook or eBay page where I can buy this. I can't find it! Thank You x

Would be interested in seeing the results. Chrome wore at the free edge after just a few days... so be very interested to see if this pigment is any better wearing.

Day 8 of my holochrome and chrome nails, and look... no wear! :)

Holo 8 days in.jpg

I've not been particularly precious about looking after them either (other than solar oil) - heck, I even played a family game of cricket yesterday and they're still holding up. Happy days!

Day 8 of my holochrome and chrome nails, and look... no wear! :)

View attachment 199944

I've not been particularly precious about looking after them either (other than solar oil) - heck, I even played a family game of cricket yesterday and they're still holding up. Happy days!
Thats great, what gel system and which no wipe top coat do you use? X

Thats great, what gel system and which no wipe top coat do you use? X

I used iLac for the holo and Shellac for the chrome (I had a very cluttered nail table that day :p) - neither system does a no wipe top coat, so I dry wiped with a lint free pad, and sealed the pigment in with another 2 thin layers of top coat.

Latest posts

Back