Did my own nails lastnight

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glitterxdust

Reaction score
after about 5 months and tbh they look brilliant.

can somebody just refresh my memory am i doing it correct,

1, i preped my nails
2, i applied white tips
3, i applied primer, and applied tips
4, i applied the white on tips and made my smile line
5, i applied the pink in zone 2 and 3
6, i went over with my 'red file' then 'brown file'
7, then my white buffer to make them all smooth
8, then went over with my black file t remove scratches
9, and finished with my white/grey file they just look better when i use this
10, used my is it wet buffer
11, applied top coat (and gems)

did i use my files in the correct order, they are very pink and dont have any scratches on them..my right hand looks brill aswell :D
I practiced a sculptur on my little finger, took it off but took some nail too ouch! so the tip is further down on that nail..looks the crappest on my hands

xx

So, according to your profile you have been in the industry since September the year before last (2006), yet you can't remember if you're doing it right??:rolleyes:

what's with applying two lots of tips? :confused:

Do you know what grit your files are, rather than just what colour? And if you have been trained you will know when to use which grit.

Have you actually done any training at all?

1, i preped my nails
2, i applied white tips

did i use my files in the correct order, they are very pink and dont have any scratches on them..my right hand looks brill aswell :D
I practiced a sculptur on my little finger, took it off but took some nail too ouch! so the tip is further down on that nail..looks the crappest on my hands

xx
How did you take it off ?

Do you have any photos to show us ?

1, i preped my nails
2, i applied white tips

xx

What products are you using? The files sound like ones I used from NSI years ago. Did you use a dehydrator? Apply tips and then primer to natural nail only. Buff the shine from white tips first.
You seem to be using some pretty harsh files there if I'm remembering the files correctly. What grit are the red ? The brown is it 100 grit?
You should file
100 grit file the free edge and sidewalls
150 grit for contour filing etc
180 grit cuticle area and again over the nail to shape
and then your white block if this is your choice of buffer (personally I don't like them as they can't be properly sanitised.) and then your chosen shine buffer.
So did you train 5 months ago? Still unsure so let us know.

i finsished training in september but have only been doing my own nails
because i havent had any luck getting a job in the industry yet.

im using nsi. when i was training i was told to use the black file first then the white buffer then my is it wet buffer.

but other people have told me to use the red file/brown file which i admit is harsh - but works and is used to take the thickness down-obviously there will be thickness.

You put tips on your natural nails. 10 TIPS. Do you not use 10 tips?

i finsished training in september but have only been doing my own nails
because i havent had any luck getting a job in the industry yet.

im using nsi. when i was training i was told to use the black file first then the white buffer then my is it wet buffer.

but other people have told me to use the red file/brown file which i admit is harsh - but works and is used to take the thickness down-obviously there will be thickness.
You need to overcome this by working more with your brush and less with your file hun.
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/8912-product-control-part-1-mix-ratio.html
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/3007-perfect-preparation.html
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/2734-million-dollar-smiles.html
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/8671-brush-control-part-1-getting-grip.html
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/12048-perfect-preparation-prevents-poor-performance.html
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/8885-brush-control-part-3-smile-line.html
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/8748-brush-control-part-2-getting-angles.html
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/9096-product-control-part-3-zone-2-making-last.html
Take some time to print these off and read them they will be useful to you.

You put tips on your natural nails. 10 TIPS. Do you not use 10 tips?
I have no idea what you mean by the tip thing??

I think that she just means that you apply 10 tips in totall to both hands

So, according to your profile you have been in the industry since September the year before last (2006), yet you can't remember if you're doing it right??:rolleyes:

what's with applying two lots of tips? :confused:

Do you know what grit your files are, rather than just what colour? And if you have been trained you will know when to use which grit.

Have you actually done any training at all?

That is what im saying that to x

Ten one one hand? So twenty in total? I'm so confused

You mentioned applying tips in both steps 2& 3 of your routine, that's what's got peeps confused. Then in step 2 your using white tips, then in 4 your creating your smile with product.
:)I think you just need to take your time in explaining things properly as people have been having trouble understanding what you mean on a couple of threads:hug:

think i get it now, after reading your other thread about staining, is tips ten a topcoat thing ....????

The key to remembering your procedure is really to understand what you are doing.

1. Preperation of the nail plate - what are we wanting to achieve at this step, seems like a simple question but i think people just go through the procedures without understanding why bthey are doing it, so:-

• Sanitize (no need to explain i hope)
  • Push back eponychium and expose non living tissue that is adhered to nail plate - remove completely or this will act as a barrier to the product and you will get instant lifting
  • Next remove free edge and shine of nail plate - to start to remove natural oils that will also act as a barrier to the products
  • Remove all dust
  • Dehydrate - to continue the dehydration and de-greasing process
2. Platform application - apply tips or forms
3. Prime - with acid, acid free or non acid primer to natural nail only
4. Apply products
5. File and shape:-
  • Create guideline and perimeter - traditionaly we use a 100 grit file to do this for speed - side walls, lower arch then free edge
  • Now shape and contour the surface, use a 150 grit file as a 100 grit file would leave scratches too deep to remove quickly in a salon environment.
  • Now you can 2 thing, either apply a gel sealer coat (no scratches seen as gel sits in them), or start to reduce scratches further untill competley disappeared by going down in grits - use 180 to go over perimeter and surface, then a 220/280 buffer, then either a shiner of a UV top coat
Another note, about just doing your nails cos you can not find a job in industry, there are very very few jobs in industry and if you don't start building up your own clients you will never move on, we all started somewhere, so at the least get a nail trainer and do friends and family so to start to improve your skills.

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
if you read again it says applied tips then further down it says i applied the white to the tips....to create my smile.

2, i applied white tips

I have read it again...a few times :lol:....dont worry, i think i get what you mean now.

Okay....forgive me if I seem to beat an already dead horse here, but...

1. In your profile, it says nothing abou you doing any nail training, only training for beauty therapist, of couse I'm usually in the shallow end of the pool and I could be missing something.

2. I'm still confused about the tips....you said
1, i preped my nails
2, i applied white tips

Now I've used white tips before....yeeeeeaaars ago before I went to school the first time and when you put a white tip on, the smile line is already there, so all you have to do is apply your overlay, so that is 1) Prep nails 2) Apply primer 3) Apply tips 4) Apply overlay 5) Buff to shine...Why would you feel the need to make a smile line where there is already one made?
EDIT: I made an oopsie...switch 2 and 3 around.

Also, you said it's been 5 months since your nail training, when I was in nail school between our practical and theory we knew the process of nails up and down inside out and could tell you how to perform a service in our sleep, your training, should still be relatively "fresh". And you are not sure if you are doing it right? Why would you want to get a job in a salon and you are not even sure of what you are doing??

Just wanted to know? :hug:

Last edited:
because i am using french fins

im sure it says nsi and salon systems in 'systems' and i wouldnt exactly put nsi on there if i wasnt trained.:irked:
x

im sure it says nsi and salon systems in 'systems' and i wouldnt exactly put nsi on there if i wasnt trained.:irked:
x
Only love here my dear :D
But I can hang out at McDonald's all I want, it still won't make me a french fry :lol:

Latest posts

Back