Die Hard Gel geeks!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chameleon

Reaction score
I would value on your stories and opinions on why you went for gel enhancements ,as some of you are aware ive been having a dillema with this(this is where i thank Babs,Theresa,Karen aka noodle and faye aka fificharlie here:hug:),whove helped a great deal!!

I would just like some input from other gel users,wether you are soak off OR buff of gel geeks.

I would just like an insight into the pros,and cons(if there are any!) of your chosen system.

thankyou:hug:
.P.s ive looked at Minkus thread about gel,but would still appreciate the opinions of yourselves!

Gel was what i did my foundation course in so its what i have been taught....

I have played with L&P and like it but its all to quick for me...i feel out of control...i like that with gel i can perfect and play as much as i like till I decide to cure it.....i am 100% sure that was i to do the L&P training and have lots of practise i would feel differently.

I have used both soak off and buff off gels....i prefer buff off.

For me the soak offs are not strong enough and discolour...as they are porous they tend to soak up stains....with my non porous buff off gel they are just as bright and crisp as the day i did them...

buffing off doesn't bother me in the least as i rarely have to do this....when i used a soak off i found the soaking far more tedious than buffing.

I use Brisa gel, it's a hard gel (buff off).

Cons - there aren't any IMO

Pros - it's hypoallergenic, they have recently launched Bold and shimmer colours which enable custom blending, it's extremely strong, longevity is fab, it looks gorgeous, what more can I say? lol

I liked the fact that they were odourless, and that there was no bother with mix ratio that I never really got the hang of with l&p, especially during different climatic conditions.

I've used it for 6 years, and haven't found that I'm hindered by not using l&p. Products have advanced so much in those 6 years that the strength is on a par with l&p - and in my opinion if clients need nails that are indestructable then they shouldn't be having them anyway ... they are designed to break to protect the health of the natural nail.

I use a buff off gel as it is stronger than soak off ones, but soak off ones are great for overlays. I also find it easier if a client has broken a nail to buff it off, very quick compared to l&p as it takes the same time to soak off one as a full set, although this can be gotten round by using the tine foil method.

Only drawback for me is the heatspike. Doesn't matter how thinly I apply, some clients (me included) are so sensitive to it.

Of course all the silly stuff about gel being kinder to your nails is a marketing ploy be the gel companies and should be ignored! :green: I always say to clients that the look and longevity is down to the technician ... and how well the clients look after them.

I used NSI buff off Balance gel but latterly never rated it although my clients seemed happy, I only use it for toes now.

I invested in Calgel in June this year and adore it I have a lot more returning clients and I am getting a dab hand a rebalances.

The nails do seem healthier when I take my own nails off I understand weak nailplates are the result of ripping nails off or poor technician but my nails and clients nails are definitely healthier using Calgel.

Maybe I have just become a better tech:)

Possibly looking to introduce a buff off gel in future to give me more options tho.

Although I can do L &P I never think I am good enough

I liked the fact that they were odourless, and that there was no bother with mix ratio that I never really got the hang of with l&p, especially during different climatic conditions.

I've used it for 6 years, and haven't found that I'm hindered by not using l&p. Products have advanced so much in those 6 years that the strength is on a par with l&p - and in my opinion if clients need nails that are indestructable then they shouldn't be having them anyway ... they are designed to break to protect the health of the natural nail.

I use a buff off gel as it is stronger than soak off ones, but soak off ones are great for overlays. I also find it easier if a client has broken a nail to buff it off, very quick compared to l&p as it takes the same time to soak off one as a full set, although this can be gotten round by using the tine foil method.

Only drawback for me is the heatspike. Doesn't matter how thinly I apply, some clients (me included) are so sensitive to it.

Of course all the silly stuff about gel being kinder to your nails is a marketing ploy be the gel companies and should be ignored! :green: I always say to clients that the look and longevity is down to the technician ... and how well the clients look after them.
Thats been a good insight sassy,cheers:hug:

With a buff off gel were you nervous of buffing into the natural nail or do you know when you "see "the nail that is when you buff off lightly...am i making sense?:green:

Is the heatspike short and sharp,and do you make clients aware of this...well yes i suppose you would im stating the obvious:rolleyes::lol:

I know ive had clients tell me that L&P is damaging but then again that is down to poor technicians skills and NOT the product...they just need educating and thats NOT why im choosing gel:!:

TBH I used to sweat buckets when I had to do a full removal, but I have it down to a fine art now and find it very easy to see what is natural nail and what is gel - but to start with if you wipe over with scrubfresh and let it dry you can see easily too. You do need good file control though.

Yup I do warn about the heat spike. It is worse on a new set though as when you rebalance there is already a previous layer of gel there and of course your application is much thinner ... but I always warn clients. I also tell them that are no awards for bravery, it's amazing how many people sit there and try and brave it out and leave their hand in the lamp!

Thats been a good insight sassy,cheers:hug:

With a buff off gel were you nervous of buffing into the natural nail or do you know when you "see "the nail that is when you buff off lightly...am i making sense?:green:

Is the heatspike short and sharp,and do you make clients aware of this...well yes i suppose you would im stating the obvious:rolleyes::lol:

I know ive had clients tell me that L&P is damaging but then again that is down to poor technicians skills and NOT the product...they just need educating and thats NOT why im choosing gel:!:

I get the heat spikes with Bio gel too so I do make a point of teling all new clients about it. It only tends to happen for the first 20 seconds of the hands being in the lamp so they can pull the hand out or press their fingures down and it tends to go after that.

I need to get better hang of buffing harder gels before i practice on clients - have buffed one of my own too much :cry:

I don't like how the white soak off gels yellow so quickly, even with purple top coat.....and there's always the ouch factor.....I just don't like the soak offs.....and yes I use thinly with the appropriate lamp! I use them when I have to, like when a client really and truly insists!

Yup I do warn about the heat spike. It is worse on a new set though as when you rebalance there is already a previous layer of gel there and of course your application is much thinner ... but I always warn clients. I also tell them that are no awards for bravery, it's amazing how many people sit there and try and brave it out and leave their hand in the lamp!
Why should they have to suffer a heat spike though, so many companies say their product doesn't spike, but it does.....that's not right is it, not a relaxing service?

i have over time managed to get this down to a minimum...i know who will feel it and who wont...i can estimate how long for it to strike and flash cure a few times to stop it.

if i have taken a nail right back then it will after being covered up for so long be sensitive, so i would do very very thin layers and switch the lamp off after the count of 3..then on for 3...then off for 3..ect...i would do this a few times on each pink layer.

I love the feel of soak off gels. IMO they feel more like natural nails beause they have more movement then file offs.

Why should they have to suffer a heat spike though, so many companies say their product doesn't spike, but it does.....that's not right is it, not a relaxing service?

I don't know Cathie, but all the makes I have used all have pretty much the same level, they just react at different speeds. If someone is very sensitive then I will get them to take their hand in and out of the lamp to help avoid it too much

I did my foundation course in L&P but have since trained with Brisa gel. I did both for a while but am now exclusively Brisa.
I get the best results with Brisa and correctly applied I think it is as tough as L&P (I have worn both applied by myself)
I do find the buff off a bit scary but am getting better all the time, the only time I have overfiled is on myself (find the angles tricky)
I don't like soaking off as even with a good product remover it is quite harsh on my hands.
These are just my personal opinions, hope it helps a bit:)

I use Brisa gel, it's a hard gel (buff off).

Cons - there aren't any IMO

Pros - it's hypoallergenic, they have recently launched Bold and shimmer colours which enable custom blending, it's extremely strong, longevity is fab, it looks gorgeous, what more can I say? lol

When and where can I get these colours?? I want them!! lol:green:

When and where can I get these colours?? I want them!! lol:green:
As far as I know Sweet Squared has (or had) them in stock :D

Hope you have better luck than me, my suppliers didn't have the new colours when I went down there last week :irked:

I started using odoreless l/p and buff off gel.

I continued using only buff off gel the last 6 years.

I have tried using soak-off gels, but I just can't handle the "rubbery" feeling.

I REALLY want to do traditional l/p, but the smell kills me.... It's so sad, because I like working with it....

C.

I love the feel of soak off gels. Bio sculpture did a demo on me at pro beauty north. The lady did a free form sculpture using silk. I kept it on for a week. It was very comfortable to wear and very easy to soak off.

Latest posts

Back