Difference Between Acrylic Liquid and Monomer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisajane

Reaction score
Ive been using Monomer at college which Is oudorless and workes well to sculpt my L+P.

Recently when I wanted to stock up for (home use) They didnt have any Monomer, but they had Liquid Acrylic... This stuff smells so bad I think I might gas myself... So Im not using it...

It also contains ethyl methacrylate? Is that the stuff they reccommend NOT to use??

So all the qualified nail tech... Whats the difference?

Lisa x

P.S I know Im new and not as clever as u guys.. be gentle...!

Monomer is the correct chemical term for acrylic liquid - as in polymer is the correct term for acrylic powder.

If you are used to an odourless liquid then the other type will smell stronger but EMA is what you ARE looking for in a liquid. MMA is what you need to avoid.

Ah I see Ok. So my acrylic Liquid IS actually monomer...

But why does the one at college not smell and mine does?? Which one would you reccommend? Smely Monomer or Non smelly? Surely if they both do the same job it makes sense to get the odorless one?

Thnxx

You get whichever one goes with the system you are using - ie. powder and liquid from the same system/ company.

It all comes down to chemistry LOL - just because a monomer is odourless does not make it better in terms of chemical technology.

As you learn and grow as a technician you will learn this - if you are at all interested in the chemistry of your products then get Doug Schoon's book - Nail Structure and Product Chemistry - it is a real eye opener.

OK Thanks Fiona

Latest posts

Back