Difference between Bluesky Shellac and CND Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm a nail tech and I've done some research into Bluesky Shellac and other Cheap gel polishes.

There a few people selling these in the Uk, the products come from China and don't following our cosmetic regulations here in Uk.

I've contacted trading standards in the UK and they are very clear that these nail product coming from China with proper EU certificates cannot be used or sold in the UK.

As China doesn't have the cosmetic regs we have it would be a big worry that the products coming from China are harmful to the nail.

As nail tech if anything goes wrong and the products damage the
nails then it is our fault for using products that aren't tested here.
Meaning we could be sued!

I've asked the Bluesky sellers in the UK for EU certificates but they couldn't supply them.

I won't buy, it's likely they should not be used in the EU and the sellers are selling them illegally!

This is an awesome price of info! Well done you xx

i bought one colour, the base coat and top coat of this not realising it was different from the proper CND, i tried it on myself and 3 other memebers of my family before trying it on my customer. we all have different uses, one has a horse, her's peeled of the 1st day, one is a "normal housewife" 2 peeled of the 2nd night and the rest lasted a week, mine, chipped, i am a trained nail tech and data processor, but worse of all, my mum had such a bad reacation to it that the skin on her fingers literally ripped and bleed within 2 days of application, so badly that i had to VERY CAREFULLY file them off as they are so swollen and sore i dearnt' but acetone anywhere near them. when i wanted to contact the company to tell them, the only address on the bottle is china! this obviously wont happen to everyone, it didnt happen to the rest of us, but it definately doesn't even last a week so i have ordered the proper CND which i will test on myself before my family and clients

FYI - just in case you wish to actually notify the company of the bad reaction or alert someone to the problem with this knockoff, Alibaba has the links to the manufacturer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bluesky Shellac is a fake!

I bought it, it's c**p & shouldn't be calling themselves "Shellac"

The only genuine brands of UV GEL is CND Shellac, Opallac & Gelish. Don't buy Bluesky it burnt my fingers!

AGAIN....

If it doesn't say CND on the Bottle.... It isn't SHELLAC

speaking of 14 day mani???? Anyone??. :idea:

I have just found this on a New Zealand voucher website and was quite shocked that it was able to be sold I have emailed the voucher company saying it shouldn't be sold, why etc... dont know if its going to make a difference.
And after reading this thread I was shocked to hear some of the reviews about the bluesky with peoples reactions, it shouldn't be on the market for people who dont know what they are really using, it souldn't be sold at all, they should be seeing a professional and getting the real stuff put on their nails.
Does anyone know if it can be reported to anybody in NZ to make sure it is not sold here, am thinking of contacting NZ CND.

shocking, absolutely shocking xxx

shocking, absolutely shocking xxx

It is shocking, but it is happening to ALL brands not just CND Shellac! you ban one, another pops up... China do this all the time!!

Seems like its selling all over the place :(

A company only has a registered trademark on a name if they have been given permission to put the 'R' behind the name with a circle around it. When a company puts 'TM' behind a name, it doesn't mean that they own that name. The name has to be approved (registered) by the registration offices in every country (and the company using the name can only defend or file a suit against another company using a name if they have been given registration status (R). When a company files with the registration office in their country, they can use 'TM' behind their name, however, this is essentially meaningless, it's just a statement saying that 'we have applied for registration of this name'. If it isn't awarded, it means there have been office actions and it has been contested, or in some cases, the examiner may reject the application. It is the same kind of idea with UV Gel, if someone put the 'TM' symbol behind it, then it doesn't mean that all the other manufacturers of UV Gel would need to cease calling their products UV gel. 'Shellac' (from CND) is basically of a 'rebranding' of gel, the main reason why it's more expensive is because it has really high pigmentation, it's thin viscosity, etc. etc. There are some gels, for example, that are rebranded as permanent polish, shellacs, etc. And so, I would deduce that just like with some gel products, the shellac products that will come out will have varying quality (IMO).

but shellac isn't a gel

ive seen bluesky in a number of salons in london on display racks in windows i wont be going there but it amazes me that they can do this x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Shellac is the general name for this type of gel polish x

Shellac is the general name for this type of gel polish x

Where did you get that idea from?
Shellac is the name of the hybrid gel polish that is produced and sold by CND
Gelish is the name of the gel polish produced and sold by Nail Harmony.
etc, There are many company's that are now jumping on the band wagon, they have to or get left behind but the names of these gel polishes are unique to each company.

Where did you get that idea from?
Shellac is the name of the hybrid gel polish that is produced and sold by CND
Gelish is the name of the gel polish produced and sold by Nail Harmony.
etc, There are many company's that are now jumping on the band wagon, they have to or get left behind but the names of these gel polishes are unique to each company.

No, actually, 'shellac' is a resin that has existed for ages. 'Shellac is a resin secreted by the female lac bug, on trees in the forests of India and Thailand... Shellac functions as a tough natural primer, sanding sealant, tannin-blocker, odour-blocker, stain, and high-gloss varnish.'- source, wikipedia.

So, if any company uses 'shellac' in their ingredients in the salon industry, it can be called shellac. Shellac is not a 'brand name' by any means. So, it will be very difficult for any company to get a registration on that name because you can imagine how many office actions they may have about it becoming a registration. I think that if CND were allowed to put 'R' behind that name, you should then say it is 'their brand'... however, it's not and other companies have used shellac in their gel formulas, so, it is simply a way of rebranding a high graded gel which has shellac in it. If they don't have shellac in it, using that name would be a bit of a con. So, it must have shellac in it, etc. Also, if a company has filed the name 'shellac' and declared their use of that name as a trademark application for registration, they must do so by territory (for example, if you register a name in the United states, it doesn't mean that you have that trademark world-wide, you actually have to file application to register that name in every country). And you can put 'TM' behind any name you use even if you haven't filed for registration. But, you cannot put 'R' behind the name unless it has the application has been accepted by the examiner, etc. Hope this clears things up a bit.

Last edited:
I thought i saw a post by geeg once that said shellac dosent actully contain shellac. I may be wrong. X

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

Oh dear! No beetles were harmed in the making of Shellac :wink2:,
because it doesn't contain anything to do with beetles!!!! The word is taken because of the high shine and finish.

Also, Shellac is not a gel.

No, actually, 'shellac' is a resin that has existed for ages. 'Shellac is a resin secreted by the female lac bug, on trees in the forests of India and Thailand... Shellac functions as a tough natural primer, sanding sealant, tannin-blocker, odour-blocker, stain, and high-gloss varnish.'- source, wikipedia.

So, if any company uses 'shellac' in their ingredients in the salon industry, it can be called shellac. Shellac is not a 'brand name' by any means. So, it will be very difficult for any company to get a registration on that name because you can imagine how many office actions they may have about it becoming a registration. I think that if CND were allowed to put 'R' behind that name, you should then say it is 'their brand'... however, it's not and other companies have used shellac in their gel formulas, so, it is simply a way of rebranding a high graded gel which has shellac in it. If they don't have shellac in it, using that name would be a bit of a con. So, it must have shellac in it, etc. Also, if a company has filed the name 'shellac' and declared their use of that name as a trademark application for registration, they must do so by territory (for example, if you register a name in the United states, it doesn't mean that you have that trademark world-wide, you actually have to file application to register that name in every country). And you can put 'TM' behind any name you use even if you haven't filed for registration. But, you cannot put 'R' behind the name unless it has the application has been accepted by the examiner, etc. Hope this clears things up a bit.

This does not clear anything up, in fact it confuses the issue greatly. Your information is incorrect. Have you read this entire thread?

It actually doesn't matter whether it has shellac in it or not, it's a matter of trademarks. The reason why blue sky can call their shellac 'blue sky shellac' is because they are using that full phrase 'blue sky shellac' as their TM. If you decided to call something black sky shellac, you could apply for that name and if nobody else is using that name as a TM, then, you will probably get the registration. And it is my understanding that shellac is a hybrid gel, etc. it doesn't really matter if beetles died making the polish or not. That's just the point. People on the thread were talking about how some other companies were calling their products shellac. You can do a trademark search and see which companies have registered a name 'shellac' (on the USPTO trademark search) for example. For example CND have registered 'shellac', and so has another japanese company who make paints. CND have made an application for the phrase 'CND shellac'. And Bluesky shellac have also registered the name 'blue sky shellac'. So, that's just the way trade marking works.

(and I only know this because my father is a patent attorney and I used to work in his office helping out with filing for TM registration applications :) I'm not trying to be difficult or anything. It's just the way trademarks work.

We all have Facebook (I'm in the process!), twitter etc, I've been uploading logos pics etc ready for my Facebook page, when searching through I came across a picture of the bluesky, my first thought was right upload this, post it onto my Facebook page warning clients of cheap imitations, showing them the difference in bottles, and explaining how they arnt getting what they pay for. If we all did this then our clients, friends etc will be able to see and pass the info on! I'm also planning on doing this with mma products xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back