Difference between scissors and prices opinions needed please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailzandbeauty

Reaction score
Hi all, my daughter is at college and is wanting me to buy her some good scissors,
her freind has said she is buying the dearest at £44.At the moment we no nothing about scissors so any advice would be good i dont mind paying for quality bearing in mind she is only on Level 1 so would she go up in grades where scissors are concernd please?
Thanks for reading x

See larger image Share your own customer images

Manicare Hairdressing Scissors 16.5 cm
by Manicare

1 Review
5 star: (0)4 star: (0)3 star:
1x1-ffcc66._V29439711_.gif
(1)2 star: (0)1 star: (0)
See all customer reviews...

(1 customer review) More about this product
Price:£5.99 & eligible for Free UK delivery on orders over £15 with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions

Availability: In stock. Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk.

Want guaranteed delivery by 1pm Tuesday, November 6? Order it in the next 53 hours and 42 minutes, and choose Express delivery at checkout.
See Details

Product Features
  • Made from the highest quality stainless steel
  • 24k Gold plated handles with large grip for ease of use
  • Precision ground blades for a professional cut
  • Can be used on wet or dry hair
  • The product comes with an unconditional quality guarantee

.shvl,.shvlCloud { width:100%; }.shvl td#purchaseShvlCellBack { width:45px; }.shvl td#purchaseShvlCellNext { width:35px; }.shvl td div { text-align:left; padding:0; font-size:86%; overflow:hidden; }.shvl td p { margin:7px 0 3px 0; text-align:left; }.shvl .price { white-space:nowrap; }.shvl .rating { margin-right:.5em; color:#666; white-space:nowrap; font-size:80%; }.shvl .rating-stars { margin: 0 0 0 0; }.shvl .rating-stars a,.shvl .rating-stars a:link { text-decoration: none; }.shvl .rating-stars a:hover { text-decoration: underline; }.shvl .arrow { width:25px; padding:0; }.shvlBack,.shvlNext { position:relative; }.shvlBack a,.shvlNext a,.shvlBack .bg-text,.shvlNext .bg-text,.shvlBack .bg-image,.shvlNext .bg-image { display:block; width:25px; height:50px; }.shvlBack a,.shvlNext a { position:relative; cursor:pointer; }.shvlBack .bg-text,.shvlNext .bg-text,.shvlBack .bg-image,.shvlNext .bg-image { position:absolute; overflow:hidden; left:0px; }.shvlBack a .bg-image { background: url('http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/02/x-locale/personalization/shoveler/left-arrow-semi-rd._V7394303_.gif') no-repeat; }.shvlNext a .bg-image { background: url('http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/02/x-locale/personalization/shoveler/right-arrow-semi-rd._V7394294_.gif') no-repeat; }.shvlBack a.down .bg-image,.shvlNext a.down .bg-image { background-position: left -50px; } #purchaseshvlNJS, #browseNodeshvlNJS, #disperseshvlNJS, #sessionshvlNJS { width:auto; }#purchaseshvlNJS td, #browseNodeshvlNJS td, #disperseshvlNJS td, #sessionshvlNJS td { padding-right:20px; }/* Shoveler pagination */.shvlPagination { width:100%; padding:2px 0 2px 0; margin:-1.8em 0 1.2em 0; text-align:right; }.shvlPagination a { text-decoration:none; padding:2px 4px 2px 4px; margin-left:1px; background-color:#fff; }.shvlPagination a:visited { color:#039; }.shvlPagination a:hover,.shvlPagination a.active,.shvlPagination a.active:hover,.shvlPagination a.active:visited { color:#fff; background-position:top; background-repeat:repeat-x; }.shvlPagination a:hover { background-color:#E0A366; background-image:url("http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/02/x-locale/personalization/shoveler/select-gradient-hover._V8329457_.gif"); }.shvlPagination a.active,.shvlPagination a.active:hover,.shvlPagination a.active:visited { font-weight:bold; background-color:#c60; background-image:url("http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/02/x-locale/personalization/shoveler/select-gradient-on._V8330881_.gif"); } /* Shoveler cloud general */ .shvlCloud { line-height: 2em; text-align:left; margin:5px 0 .5em 0; }.shvlCloudWrapper { padding:0 20px 0 20px; }.shvlCloud span { white-space:nowrap; }.shvlCloud a { text-decoration:none; padding:1px 5px 2px 5px; }.shvlCloud a:visited { color:#039; }.shvlCloud a:hover,.shvlCloud a.active,.shvlCloud a.active:hover,.shvlCloud a.active:visited,.shvlCloud #cloud1:hover,.shvlCloud #cloud1.active,.shvlCloud #cloud1.active:hover { padding:1px 5px 2px 5px; color:#fff; background-position:top; background-repeat:repeat-x; border:0; }.shvlCloud a:hover,.shvlCloud #cloud1:hover { background-color:#E0A366; background-image:url("http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/02/x-locale/personalization/shoveler/select-gradient-hover._V8329457_.gif"); }.shvlCloud a.active,.shvlCloud a.active:hover,.shvlCloud a.active:visited,.shvlCloud #cloud1.active,.shvlCloud #cloud1.active:hover { background-color:#c60; background-image:url("http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/02/x-locale/personalization/shoveler/select-gradient-on._V8330881_.gif"); }.cross-product-sims { margin:0 0 0 .5em; color:#666; white-space:nowrap;}.sim-explorer { margin:3px 0 5px 25px;} found these ones on amazon....when i did hairdressing everyone had to have the best but i must say these look good xxxx

my scissors where included in my kit, i am doing level one at the mo too, so i am not in a rush to buy another pair until i can cut properly.....but i would be interested too in what scissors, what size etc for when i do

to be honest i dont think £44 for a pair of scissors is bad at all , i have paid up to £170 for mine before :eek: and even that isnt very expensive there are some at £350 :eek: have to admit though now i have kids and other beauty / nail stuff to buy i usually spend about £70 on mine
just a point though i still have my original pair from when i was at college (15 years ago ) and they still cut !!! granted i dont use em but they are in the cupboard just incase :green:

Howdy
try and look for ones that have a more of a rounded ends to the actual tips of the scissors blades,
when you're new at cutting the very pointy ones can be very sharp and can really scrape along the skin around the ears and neck of the client , and on her own fingers

Jaguar have some good priced scissors 5 inch or 5 -1/2 inch size are good,
But if she is going to do mens hair too, then go for the 5-1/2 rather than buy two pair of scissors :hug: x

You and your daughter may want to go to the supply house and actually pick up, hold and examine the shears. Things to consider:
A serrated edge (usually best for beginning cutting) this edge helps hold hair in place making it slightly easier for a very beginning Haircutter(?) (I would say stylist)

A razor edge, better for slide cutting and texturing, can be used on wet or dry hair- will normally glide right through hair and into skin if the stylist hasn't practiced much. (be prepared for a blood spill, generally between the fingers or on a knuckle)

Off set thumb grip- helps prevent carpal tunnel

Swivel thumb- again for carpal tunnel

Finish- Diamond grind or Ice tempered- both of these finishes hold their edge well and don't dull easily.

Warranty- what kind of sharpening is required, is sharpening included in the price of the shear or do you have to pay shipping & handling as well as the cost of sharpening.

Fit- find a shear that is comfortable to her, don't go by price alone, she may find a lower priced quality shear that she likes after handling the different brands available.

Just like your nail brush, her shears will be personal, when she finds a shear she likes she'll hold on to them until she's ready to step up again- usually 3 or 4 years down the road (her 1st shears will likely be put in a safe place and still come out occasionally- they retain sentimental value:))

Latest posts

Back