Different techniques for nail extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deb379

Reaction score
Trying to get my head around all the different types of extensions and techniques. Trying to work out why some things take longer etc.

I've been taught to put tips on, halve contact area by filing and blend before sticking on. Please clarify why it's necessary to blend on nail if it is going to be covered in white and pink? for instance, if the contact area of the tip is only on a small part of the free edge then surely if you don't blend and put white and pink on it wouldn't show? I've seen Leighton Denny do this on his CD, but he actually cuts the contact area (but my husband says by doing this the contact area will remain just as thick), doesn't blend and then applies white and pink.

I can understand if there is a bigger contact area for a shorter nail plate blending would be necessary as I assume it would show through pinK? Same applies if you were to just apply pink?

I was chatting to another nail tech who was taught by a different company, she doesn't apply white on the tip, just pink all over and she says when her clients see the tip through the pink they are happy with that. Don't want a french after all.

Just curious

Deb379

I've been taught to put tips on, halve contact area by filing and blend before sticking on. Please clarify why it's necessary to blend on nail if it is going to be covered in white and pink? for instance, if the contact area of the tip is only on a small part of the free edge then surely if you don't blend and put white and pink on it wouldn't show?

Hi Deb,
The reason that a nail tip should be throughly blended is, If it is not blended properly it will lift.
So its not so you will see it or not its to stop lifting that we blend.
HTHS

Thanks, that's an interesting thread, why are we being taught to blend if no one else does these days? It's quite time consuming.

Regards
Deb379

This isn't true about "noone blends anymore" . For a start it depends on what your client wants and then it depends on what their nails are like. If i'm doing a set of Pink and Whites then i won't always blend the tip right down as the white will cover it. But i will still thin out the tip otherwise the finished nails could look bulky, plus you need as much natural nail on show for the product to adhere to.

One of my clients likes having all pink but doesn't want a french look so if i didn't blend completely it would show. To me personally this looks awful when you can see the free edge growing and certainly doesn't look very nice or natural. Its everyone's own choice, i was taught to file out most of the contact area then blend tip once on the nail, gently as you don't want to file natural nail.

It does also depend on what system you use as all have variations to them. I've just started to use fibreglass, Thanks to Carole Lindsey and that i would blend completely if natural look wanted, but if i use More Than White with it you don't have to blend all of it as it's covered.

Hope this helps, you just have to do what feels right for you.:D

talented talons said:
This isn't true about "noone blends anymore" .
I recently did the CND Brisa Gel course after doing the 4day CND back in 99 and was told not to blend but to pre taylor. I much prefer to blend and and still blending now. sorry if this is worng but it what works for me

Well, i have to say this topic was very interesting to read (and the link too). Even thow i'm currently doing my course, i've also been taught to blend. This is very good news to me, 'cause being a novice i always worry about filing the natural nails. Even thow this technique can't be used for all clients (the one that don't what a french look, or don't have any free edge). But reading about this reminded me of some nail blender products, that state being able to reduce filing time, does anyone use these produts? Does it really work? Are they worth it?

lindag said:
I recently did the CND Brisa Gel course after doing the 4day CND back in 99 and was told not to blend but to pre taylor. I much prefer to blend and and still blending now. sorry if this is worng but it what works for me

There is no right OR wrong to this subject.

If you want to blend then do so .. if you do not then don't do so.

I often blend and sometimes I don't. If you are skilled at blending then I'm sure you will agree that it really doesn't take very much time at all and it is possible to not scratch or harm the natural nail. THAT is called skill and technique.

To the above posters:
If one never learns to blend a tip skillfully, then one is definitely missing out on those skills that are necessary to being a well rounded technician.

As for tip blenders, they take more time to blend a tip, and you still have to use an abrasive in the end PLUS tip blenders, weaken the tip and cause cracking PLUS tip blenders are solvents that you would be using near and on the client's skin, risking overexposure.

Why the obsession with speed and short cuts? My advice is to concentrate on doing things correctly and with skill, care and attention.
As I have said before ... Short cuts make long delays!!

geeg said:
As for tip blenders, they take more time to blend a tip, and you still have to use an abrasive in the end PLUS tip blenders, weaken the tip and cause cracking PLUS tip blenders are solvents that you would be using near and on the client's skin, risking overexposure.
I must hold my hands up, and say I did try one of the tip blenders that you can buy, and i found it dissolved the glue i'd just used to stick the tip on with in the first place!!
Fortunately, I was trying it out on my mum, so i didn't make that mistake with a 'real' client!!
I would always say blend the tip now, and don't try and use shortcuts..... They never work!!!!

I'm glad i never used a tip blender. I just heard about tem and was curious about how they would work.
About blending, the reason why i always worry i might file the natural nails is just 'cause i'm just starting. I practice often on my NT so i can master this technique (along with others of course) so i can be the best nail tech i can possibly be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back