Difficult eyebrow wax client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Im looking for some advice on how to deal with one perticular client , i am qualified in all aspects of beauty therapy and ive had a spot of bother this morning with a new client who had advised me she usually goes to the same girl for her treatments she couldnt get an appointment so booked one within the salon im based in. i applied the tint before i waxed her as i normally would and tided up her brows by waxing and took away about 3 strays with tweezers , although the tint had left a slight stain i gave her some cotton wool and some after wax to help it go down. which was fine. she then said i had taken half her eyebrow off as it was too far in ... which infact i had removed about 2 hairs which looked untidy. i asked her if she wanted me to sort them the way she wanted them, she then asked for the salon owner etc. stormed out the shop almost knocking over the two little girls that were sitting at the nail bar on her way out screaming at the clients saying "dont let her near your brows" i have actually kept the client card and the wax strips i used as you can see i havent taken too much off. she also said the tint was too dark which i explained to her it is a little intense at first but as you wash your face everyday it will lighte and she still wasnt having any of it. i had clients sitting in reception and fell like she may try to tarnish the reputation of the salon. ive been qualified since 2012 and have never had one complaint on my eyebrow waxes everyone has always been happy and have alot of clients who say they couldnt go any where else. im really feeling uneasy about the rest of my waxes today and im needing some advise on how to deal with clients like this. any feedback or comments would be great. i know it wasnt a botch job. i feel she may just be too used to how the other girl does them?

Thanks In Advance xx

Im looking for some advice on how to deal with one perticular client , i am qualified in all aspects of beauty therapy and ive had a spot of bother this morning with a new client who had advised me she usually goes to the same girl for her treatments she couldnt get an appointment so booked one within the salon im based in. i applied the tint before i waxed her as i normally would and tided up her brows by waxing and took away about 3 strays with tweezers , although the tint had left a slight stain i gave her some cotton wool and some after wax to help it go down. which was fine. she then said i had taken half her eyebrow off as it was too far in ... which infact i had removed about 2 hairs which looked untidy. i asked her if she wanted me to sort them the way she wanted them, she then asked for the salon owner etc. stormed out the shop almost knocking over the two little girls that were sitting at the nail bar on her way out screaming at the clients saying "dont let her near your brows" i have actually kept the client card and the wax strips i used as you can see i havent taken too much off. she also said the tint was too dark which i explained to her it is a little intense at first but as you wash your face everyday it will lighte and she still wasnt having any of it. i had clients sitting in reception and fell like she may try to tarnish the reputation of the salon. ive been qualified since 2012 and have never had one complaint on my eyebrow waxes everyone has always been happy and have alot of clients who say they couldnt go any where else. im really feeling uneasy about the rest of my waxes today and im needing some advise on how to deal with clients like this. any feedback or comments would be great. i know it wasnt a botch job. i feel she may just be too used to how the other girl does them?

Thanks In Advance xx
You'll always find the odd client like this, you have to learn to let it go, you know what you did and that you did a great job. I had a friend in this morning and she's painful with her eyebrows too. One eyebrow starts further out than the other and asked if I had waxed it that way...I hadn't, but will lay there with the mirror for ages picking out the odd hair. We can't help her eyebrow errors of the past....

You'll always find the odd client like this, you have to learn to let it go, you know what you did and that you did a great job. I had a friend in this morning and she's painful with her eyebrows too. One eyebrow starts further out than the other and asked if I had waxed it that way...I hadn't, but will lay there with the mirror for ages picking out the odd hair. We can't help her eyebrow errors of the past....

i hadnt charged since she wasnt happy but now she wants me to pay to have them waxed else where? am i obligated to do so? i had offered to rectify whilst she was here but she said no, a bit unsure of where i stand ?

i hadnt charged since she wasnt happy but now she wants me to pay to have them waxed else where? am i obligated to do so? i had offered to rectify whilst she was here but she said no, a bit unsure of where i stand ?
Aimee you did everything correct and you gave her a free treatment and offered to put them right if she wants to return so you don't need to do anything else.... Put it behind you and don't let it knock your confidence. She sounds like a very difficult customer and sadly every now and then one appears!!

Aimee, you're right to be concerned but look at the facts. 1. You've been doing this for several years without one complaint 2.You are confident that you didn't remove too much brow. 3.You even have the evidence in the wax strips.

Sounds to me as though she had no intention of paying and maybe this is how she gets her treatments done. Of course you're right to be worried that she may bad mouth you but you have enough loyal clients who know what a good therapist you are. If she starts being aggressive tell her in no uncertain terms that you are confident that there was nothing wrong with her brows and that you've offered her next brow treatment free as a gesture of goodwill. Tell her that if she makes any false claims about you or your salon then you'll sue her for defamation of character.

Btw.......A little tip for the future is to remove all tint stains with your strip wax as it's more professional than expecting your client to do so.

Keep your chin up.

i offered the client a complimentary service and i also offered to correct the mistake but as im the only therapist in the salon she does not want me to fix them which can be easily done. i have also asked her where she usually gets them done and she wont say? she was very abrupt when she entered the salon and told the owner (who is a nail tech) she was put off coming in by the type of clients that were having their nails done(bridal party consisting of two young women and their two young daughters.) the client said she would suggest i reconsidered my offer of a complimentary service or she would take it further? im not sure what she means by this as i have offered her to correct them and to give a free service and the hairs do grow back after all. what is the worst that can happen if this does go further? is she over reacting? one client who was sitting in reception who she told not to let me touch her eyebrows actually came to me for a wax after and said when she seen the woman she couldnt notice what had happend as she heard the full thing in the salon when it was all going on. do i give her my insurance details straight away ? ive never had anything like this happen ever and i dont really know how it works. im not sure if she is trying to scare me into something ? i feel like there is nothing else i can offer her but she wont let these two strands of hair go. i only went self employed last year and id hate to think i was being over the top by worryingabout it.

Last edited:
Try not to worry, what could she possibly sue you for!? The wrong shape eyebrow?
Some people just like to be awkward, I'm sure her brows were fine after you did them as its your job to know how to shape brows properly. Don't give her any insurance details, I would just try and forget about it. I think she's just trying her luck with you.
If you think a client is going to be fussy/ difficult why not use a hand held mirror while they're on the couch and show them what you're going to do then there can be no problems afterwards.
Honestly don't worry about it.

The fact that she didn't tell you who her previous therapist was and to be so aggressively rude strongly suggests to me that she was out for a freebie and anything else she could blag. Some people really have no shame. :(

Genuine unhappy clients do not act so aggressively.
I honestly think she sensed your fear and played on it. Unless you actually maimed her, she can't sue you for anything so I wouldn't worry about that.

You're self employed so you're not obliged to take her crap. If something similar happens in the future, just be firm and ask them to leave the salon immediately telling them you don't need her sort of clientele, thank you.

Never pass on your insurance details to a client EVER!

If a client has a genuine case, they can write to you and you can pass the letter to your insurers or wait until you receive a county court summons. Personally, I wouldn't involve my insurers unless I felt there was some degree of liability as I wouldn't want my premiums affected and Insurers are buggers for paying out even when there's no real case, just to save on unnecessary legal fees. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the advise, yet to hear back from her since i told her i would not be passing details to her and advised her to seek information on the matter first.

The client is back again demanding my insurance details .... how can i word to her i wont be giving these out? as she thinks she has the right to these details.

Just say either
'No' or
'No, I'm not giving my insurance details to you as it is none of your business.'

There is no need to explain or justify your response at all.

Personally, I'd go with 'No'. Less said the better and then block her number.

Ignore her from now on. You are under no obligation to respond to her demands so stay firm and don't feel intimidated by her. If she carries on, either continue to ignore or tell her you will be reporting her for causing a nuisance/intimidating threatening behaviour...etc.

She is entitled to bugger all!

What exactly is she going too do?
Claim for two eyebrow hairs?

This woman clearly has too much time on her hands, I would question if she even has a previous regular therapist? As others have said she wouldn't tell you who it was, does she even exist? Maybe she is known for pulling this stunt regularly? She can't sue you for anything as you didn't do anything wrong, you haven't burnt her or caused any damage at all, just merely shaped her eyebrows. I would be firm and brief, say no to providing information and if she persists ask her to leave the premises. Don't take it to heart, we all get clients like this one way or another xx

Let me just clarify something. This 'client' had her treatment, complained, did NOT pay, you offered to rectify & a complimentary service and is now asking for your insurance details. NO chance. She can't have those details as she DID NOT PAY for a service and you DID NOTHING WRONG when providing that service.
If your worried and don't know what to do I'd say you have 3 choices,
1) go to see someone at the CAB for free advice,
2) ring your insurance and ask their advice,
3) BAN & IGNORE the 'client' asking for your details.

Personally I'd be going with number 3 until I got a letter from her solicitors (& then that letter would be sent to my insurance company & I still wouldn't give the client the insurance details, I'd let my insurance company deal directly with her solicitors).

i have contacted the police as ive been advised this is harassment. she is trying to bully me into giving me details as she doesnt think im insured apparently. ive told her yet again to seek advice, and blocked her. she is now contacting the salon owner pestering her now. i think ive more of a case than her under the terms of her pestering me x

My goodness, how ridiculous this woman is being. I hate intimidation and threats.

I agree with blocking and ignoring her by both yourself and the salon owner.

If she comes into the salon I would say that I have been advised to no longer have contact with her and if she would like to give her solicitors your work address you will pass the correspondence onto your insurance company.

She should give up once she realises you aren't going to be bullied into giving her something.

I feel for you xx

I had someone like this before she never came back and I never heard from her again she was so intimidating when she came in before I did anything don't worry about it [emoji8] I feel for you x

i honestly thought she would have given up by now. and im sure she doesnt want to pay alot of fees either even if she does think there is a case to claim on. i wish her luck. x

just ignore her until it blows over xxx

Yep I bet her plan is:

Demand your insurance details to scare you..
watch you quiver with fear.... then say she won't sue you if you pay for her next eyebrow treatment ( prob try and get a full HD set done ).
Possible pulling the same stunt with the next person!!!

You have done a fantastic job and acted professionally. For your own peace of mind, make sure you have kept detailed notes of what's happened.

I know my issuers ( BABTAC) do a handy guide of do's and don'ts when people want to claim through your insurance. I think they say not to give out your insurance details directly. When you get written notice of a claim being made, then you pass it on to them and they will take it from there.

Latest posts

Back