Difficult questions from clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veggie

Reaction score
I just moved thousands of miles away from my home and got a new job in a spa right away. I did not leave under the best of circumstances (left my husband after he hit me) and I am really unsure how to respond when clients ask me personal questions (ie: What made you move here? Are you married? Etc.) I really don't want to indroduce tension and upset to what is supposed to be a relaxing experience. I don't want to lie to them either or omit the truth, because if they wind up becoming repeat clients, eventually I will slip up. How can I handle these questions so that I don't wind up making the client feel bad for asking?

you could just say you were looking for a new challenge or a fresh start. i find that clients like to talk about themselves mostly, so if you give a brief response and follow up immediately with another question about them, you wont have to go into too much detail until you are more familiar with them. congratulations on your new job and i hope things work out well for you, youv'e done the hardest part, moving all those miles away, so enjoy your new life! :)

Why dont you just say................. I moved here because I needed a change..... thats quite true isnt it. You needed a change from the thug of a husband, and you got the change you need, a complete new start. Having been there myself once I congratulate you on doing the right thing. I stuck it out for 28 years but eventually left, should have done it years ago. Now 5 years on I am married to a wonderful man who loves the socks off me. So good luck to you, I hope you have a happy ending too. As for the customers, well just keep it light. Say you needed a change of scenary and came to this lovely place and found it. Most people like it when we tell them that where they live is lovely, boosts their confidence etc. And if they become a long term client, and you feel like opening up to them at a later date, well they will understand why you did not want to broadcast your personal life to everyone and will feel priviledged that you have confided in them.

All the best for your new life chuck.

I agree. No specifics just keep it general. Wanted a change of pace, you had personal porblems etc.

My brother lives in Wasilla and has lived in Alaska for 40 or more years!! He owns a company there called Anchorage Tank and Welding. so whenever you see a nice gleaming white tank that is holding gas or oil (or other stuff), my brother's company made it! It was his tanks that helped clean up the oil spill many years ago when the Amoco Cadiz went aground.

Good luck up there. It certainly is beautiful.

Hi,
I agree with all that has been said so far.
I moved to a new town a couple of years ago to walk away from personal probs and thats exactly what I tell my clients, without going into detail.
The odd one will prompt you, as some do but just hold your ground and say something like what has been suggested ... that you came to this fab new place for a new start and you dont like to harp on the past as you find it upsetting ... most peeps will respect that and change the subject. Its worked for me.
Good luck with your new life!

I found that clients would always want to talk about me but I did perfect the art of turning that round to talk about them LOL! Just keep it friendly if they ask about your background etc & change the subject subtly.

I hear Alaska has a lot of single men LOL - something to cheer you up when you're ready.....

Sweetie, I think everyone has given you some great advice, and I ditto it all!! Good luck with everything, and congratulations on making such a brave move. *Hugs and Kisses*

Thank you! That really helps alot.

It is not allways nessesary to tell all of the truth... When my clients asking me personal questions I get away with 'personnal probs' or 'can't explain even to myself' and than I change subject by asking them questions...
Some women like to talk about their problems (even very intimate) but some (like you and me) want to keep them to themselves or to share them with very close friends.
You must be very strong to make this change in your life. Ussualy people think that women are emotionly weak and for them is much more difficul to step over BIG problems and make BIG changes...
Wish you luck with your fresh start. Wish you happiness (and bit of sadness - 'without little sadness you will not realise how happy sometines you can be')

Hi,

What's been suggested so far sounds good to me. Just wanted to say well done for having the courage to leave and start afresh, you will be an inspiration ot others. I admire your bravery and courage.
A very close friend of mine did the same a few years back and, although it was very hard at first she has now met a wonderful man and they have a gorgeous little boy.
I wish you lots of luck and happiness for your future.

B xx

Hi there

Why worry about it, is it any of their business? You can offer one or two words and then change the subject around to them, they'll soon start chatting and not stop!

Deb379

Latest posts

Back