Dikson hair color - thoughts from the UK and European crowd

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Robertson

Always active Instagram: @stevenrobertsonhair
Reaction score
Hi! This may come to a shock for some, but I have some questions in regards to a different topic for once. My salon network primarily carries a color line called Dikson (Italian; also goes by Müster e Dikson?). Although that is our primary line, we also dab in to other lines when we feel Dikson doesn't provide us what we need. Lines like Paul Mitchell Color and PM Shines, Redken Color and Shades EQ, Goldwell, Pravana, Schwarzkopf, etc. That being said, I feel very confident in coloring with Dikson hair color (and most color lines), but have recently heard some comments on my Instagram feed (@stevenrobertsonhair) in regards to the use of Dikson color, that I'd like to explore more with your crowd. I've noticed this site is trafficked more on that part of the world and I am fairly new here. According to our salon network, Dikson is very advance, with great technology, molecularly pigmented (marketing point?), and a few other selling points...whatever. However, in recent comments in Insta, I've been told by some followers from Norway, Netherlands, Germany and a couple other countries that they are quite surprised by my results with Dikson color, because over in Europe, Dikson is not considered as luxurious of a brand as I may come to have been educated. One even said that I've given them hope for that color line to survive. HAHA! Which is interesting because when I googled Dikson after hearing these comments, their website is way "cheap" looking, their marketing material has always been in poor aesthetic taste (personally), and their packaging is kind of strange and plain as well. Just never thought about it really!

Now given I sometimes find that because something that is imported from Europe (especially in the beauty industry), American's by default think it's groundbreaking. It's in part why I think Kerastase does so well at our salon because as soon as you say it's from France, people are sold (although it performs as it says it does!). And most of the time, given the quality control of development over in the UK and other European countries, it certainly can be so no discredit there, but were my followers comments in regards to Dikson color correct? Not as fancy or innovative, highly used (not highly used?), liked (hated?) over in Europe?

Just curious to explore this recent discovery!

:)

Steven Robertson
www.stevenrobertsonhair
@stevenrobertsonhair

I tend to think its the colorist and not the color. For example Johnny Ramirez is probably one of the most sought after colorist in california and he uses Clairol Professional which would be frowned upon in many luxury salons. I was injured for a year and worked as a rep while I could not do hair and it was fascinating to watch peoples perception of certain lines. It seemed no matter how well a product performed people if the stylist had a negative "impression" of the product there was no changing their minds. It also tends to be rather regional from what I have seen. Kenra is the #1 selling hair professional spray in the united states and I don't know one single stylist or even salon the has it. I have barely heard of Dikson is it direct or do you go through a distributor to get it?

We
I tend to think its the colorist and not the color. For example Johnny Ramirez is probably one of the most sought after colorist in california and he uses Clairol Professional which would be frowned upon in many luxury salons. I was injured for a year and worked as a rep while I could not do hair and it was fascinating to watch peoples perception of certain lines. It seemed no matter how well a product performed people if the stylist had a negative "impression" of the product there was no changing their minds. It also tends to be rather regional from what I have seen. Kenra is the #1 selling hair professional spray in the united states and I don't know one single stylist or even salon the has it. I have barely heard of Dikson is it direct or do you go through a distributor to get it?
We get it through a local distributor. And I do know it's a super uncommon haircolor in the US at least. The salon has carried it for 15 yrs, I've been there for 8. Because its imported, it can be a pain to get sometimes. And I do agree that it is the colorist, not the product when it comes to your result. I just thought it was interesting to start hearing those comments all from Europe where the color line is probably more well known...I assume!

I didn't know Johnny Ramirez used Clairol Profess. Good for him I feel like with his huge success. I'm a fan of his color work.

Sorry never heard of it!

Ive also never heard of it, but I'm always curious about other colour brands so will have a look at their website.
I'm getting a bit sick of the mass market product and colour lines. I'd love to get hold of some more up and coming brands, possibly developed by hair professionals and small businesses rather than corporate machines. Right now I really want to try Oway, Evo, R+co, J Beverly Hills and living proof.

Ive also never heard of it, but I'm always curious about other colour brands so will have a look at their website.
I'm getting a bit sick of the mass market product and colour lines. I'd love to get hold of some more up and coming brands, possibly developed by hair professionals and small businesses rather than corporate machines. Right now I really want to try Oway, Evo, R+co, J Beverly Hills and living proof.
It seems that it's been around for years, yet no one has heard of it. Even in the US, if I say anything about Dikson people's eyes glow over. Haha! It'd be nice to learn more about it since I don't even feel like reps exist. Who knows!

Our old Bumble rep left to work for R+Co and he recently brought their product line in for our salon to try. We didn't love it, but it also was developed by a couple guys (or maybe 1 guy?) that broke away from Bumble and Bumble. So I wonder how different the products are? It's a very small line as of right now. Cool marketing and packing though! We have a box of living proof here now too! Haven't used it yet, but am excited to try! It's gaining quite the hype! Isn't it Jennifer Anniston and her hair guy Chris McMillan's line?

It seems that it's been around for years, yet no one has heard of it. Even in the US, if I say anything about Dikson people's eyes glow over. Haha! It'd be nice to learn more about it since I don't even feel like reps exist. Who knows!

Our old Bumble rep left to work for R+Co and he recently brought their product line in for our salon to try. We didn't love it, but it also was developed by a couple guys (or maybe 1 guy?) that broke away from Bumble and Bumble. So I wonder how different the products are? It's a very small line as of right now. Cool marketing and packing though! We have a box of living proof here now too! Haven't used it yet, but am excited to try! It's gaining quite the hype! Isn't it Jennifer Anniston and her hair guy Chris McMillan's line?
Yes it is, and she's on a lot of the posters for it which I'm sure would be a big draw for clients to buy it.

I've never heard of it before.

Having a quick google, the permanent range sounds a bit like Goldwell's Elumen?

I also have never heard of it!

Never heard about it either. I think I google it now.

Edit: yes it is distributed here in Germany through rather cheap online catalogues. Not too low on prices though. I would not be keen on trying them, they look like they would perform okay but they're too expensive for a no-namer!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back