Dilemma!!! Renting space in hair salon - what percentage of takings????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classyclaws

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been offered the chance to have a table in a local hair salon, starting initially with a couple of days a week, but hopefully increasing to 3 or 4 days per week. My question is this, how much is a fair percentage for the rent of the space. The salon owner has approached me and initially talked of 50/50 which I said was not viable for me.

To put you in the picture, I am currently establishing my business from home and have been doing leaflet drops over the last 6-8 weeks and things are slow to progress, though I am hopeful that something will happen soon. Also I work in an office and am lucky that I have flexibility with this to be able to do nails. I am CND trained and have a few years experience, also I consider myself to be pretty decent at what I do, and have managed to get my times back down to 1.5 - 1.75 hrs for a full set of p & w, so no real worries there. I am thinking that I should be looking for between 25-35% of my takings as I shall be providing all my own products and the salon owner has said they do not want to make money out of this (??) but purely want to offer it as a service, I should add that there are no other nail salons in the immediate area, other than travelling into the town centre, so the location is good, however I am also based in this area, so could potentially pick up alot of new clients if I remain home based. Another point is this, if I work in a salon, I feel it would be necessary to carry additional stock of varnishes, which I currently do not do, and purchase a new UV lamp which I use for gel toes, all of this is additional cost which I would not invest in if working from home (not for the time being anyway).

Anyway sorry for the long essay but I really want to know what you guys think. I cannot afford to accept a really high rent, and I am willing to sit tight and wait for my work from home business to prosper as I am sure it will with a little patience and mucho leaflet delivering...lol

Anyway I have a meeting with the salon owner when he is back from holiday in a week and I want to have a clear idea in my head as to how I will approach this.

Any thoughts on this are really appreciated, so a big thanks in advance to all of you that take the time to reply to me.

Sorry to pester, but I really need some opinions on this, so I am bumping myself up....sounds like fun don't you think...lol

When I worked in a hairdressers I paid £20 per day, I only ever worked saturday's though, and was up until the end of last year.

I'm the other side of Coventry, so the area is similar altho it depends what your charges are.

Ju x

My experience of renting space if on a % basis is between 20 - 30% so I think you have some negotiating to do.

The alternative is to agree a flat rate per day which I would say £10 - £20 per day is the norm.

I rent out my treatment room and take £35 a day from one lady, and from the other I take 40% until she builds up her clientelle, up to £35.This includes all bills etc.

I know everyone on here says that this is probably a lot, but the mortgage, bills, insurance etc are high when running a salon.

Thanks to all of you, it kind of sums up what I was thinking and that I definately have some negotiating to do, or be prepared to continue along my work from home route (which is what my ultimate aim would be anyway).

Thanks again

Mandyxxx

Latest posts

Back