dilemma

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indulgebeauty

Reaction score
ok here goes...........

I took over a sunbed shop nearly 3 years ago and was 3 months pregnant, the previous owner had a bad reputation ( people drinking in the shop, not turning up to open most days etc) so when i opened ( under new management) i had a lot of customers coming in for a nose and deciding to come back.
I changed the name and was happy with the amount of customers i had. After i gave birth some 6 weeks later i went to college and done nvq level 2 beauty, i started advertising for models and was doing my treatments really cheap, just to cover my products!
I may have put some customers off with me not doind the treatments as well as i should, anyway then i went to college and done a nail enhancement course, again i was doing these in the salon while i was training for £10 per set and had lots of people in but not coming back.

Now i have been qualified for 18 months and i am finding it hard to get those customers back in.

My weekly takings have not improved as much as i'd liked, i take roughly 5-600 per week mostly on the sunbeds and my overheads are sky high as i have opened another salon in a better part of the town and now i have to pay out wages!

I am thinking of selling the shop after xmas if all doesn't pick up! The shop has potential and i have spent alot of money on the basement converting it into 2 beauty rooms or to rent out to a holistic therapist which would contribute towards the rent and encourage more customrs to come in!

Anyway the advice i need is, do i sell my salon after xmas when the lease runs out at the end of jan, and focus on my other salon? Or do i plod along like i have done the last 2 and half years and hope word of mouth travels?
I can't afford to advertise although i have taken out one of the plasma screen adverts int he local post office which is crammed every day.

I am on a dead end road with hardly any passing trade!

sorry if my dilema is long winded i am at the end of my tether!

I think I would cut my losses IF the other place is better located etc, I would concentrate on the better shop, cut my out goings and work with my staff, better to sell the dead end street shop as a going concern and chalk it up to experience.

I think I would cut my losses IF the other place is better located etc, I would concentrate on the better shop, cut my out goings and work with my staff, better to sell the dead end street shop as a going concern and chalk it up to experience.

i think thats the best decision, i work there twice a week and i will really miss my regulars. Some of my beauty customers are willing to travel the 3 miles to my other shop which isn't too bad. I like the look on peoples faces when i say i have 2 salons as i am only 24, but i hate it when the think i am minted when i am clearly not! waaaaaaa!

thank you for your reply x

i would too , why have a shop that aint doing anything if the other one is better located etc.. you can pout all you effort in to the main business and not have the stress of a 2nd business , , jmo , good luck xxx

i would too , why have a shop that aint doing anything if the other one is better located etc.. you can pout all you effort in to the main business and not have the stress of a 2nd business , , jmo , good luck xxx

it was my first business and i went about it the wrong way, i didn't have a business account because of the charges so i kept spending the money and was getting myself into debt! I wonder how much i will get for it, will have a look online now. Thank you x

totally agree with the other,s as in ,cut your loss and run for the hills!!!!!what is the point if that business is not doing that well anyway ,in staying....your always going to worry about it picking up...consentrate on your other business and put 100% into that....good luck hun in whatever you decide xxx

totally agree with the other,s as in ,cut your loss and run for the hills!!!!!what is the point if that business is not doing that well anyway ,in staying....your always going to worry about it picking up...consentrate on your other business and put 100% into that....good luck hun in whatever you decide xxx

thanks for your advice, its gonna be hard to let go as it was my first business. But yes i would rather concentrate on my new salon. x

Latest posts

Back