diluting permanent to semi

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayevix

Reaction score
This may sound a bit simple coming from a hairdresser.
But over the years, iv got into the habit of only using permanent colour, as I didnt want to stock both semi and permanent.
I have a client in on wednesday, who wants to be a base 5, in semi, il only be taking her a shade darker.
Can anybody remind me the correct mixing ratio to turn a permanent colour into a semi permanent colour?? normally id use use 5/0 and 3%
Thanks in advance
Faye x

Hi I too only stock permenant colour as I am mobile, I hace a client who is a 6 with a few greys so I use a Rusk 5 and mix like a colour bath. 60ml warm water 15 of colour and 15 of 6% works a treat and she gets full coverage with gradual fade rather than roots.:)

You know, Affinage do a product called Converter, which converts any permanent colour into a semi. Worth noting for future use as you don't need to stock a load of semis, you can just carry a bottle of converter instead :)

Also rusk are dual colours! use with 3, 6,9 or 12 for permanent and 1.9 for semi 's / demis and toners
Fab products and well handy being mobile :) xx

This may sound a bit simple coming from a hairdresser.
But over the years, iv got into the habit of only using permanent colour, as I didnt want to stock both semi and permanent.
I have a client in on wednesday, who wants to be a base 5, in semi, il only be taking her a shade darker.
Can anybody remind me the correct mixing ratio to turn a permanent colour into a semi permanent colour?? normally id use use 5/0 and 3%
Thanks in advance
Faye x

I'm probably gonna sound really stupid here but anyway
Wouldn't mixing 5/0 with 3% still make it permanent?
And aren't semi colours not mixed with anything? Wouldn't mixing it with peroxide make it a quasi?
X

5/0 with 3% still permanent yes, maybe with 1.9% but I've never tried that I thought permanent was permanent I thought it had different molecules etc to that of a semi or Demi ?!? X

5/0 with 3% still permanent yes, maybe with 1.9% but I've never tried that I thought permanent was permanent I thought it had different molecules etc to that of a semi or Demi ?!? X

That's what i thought aswel, obviously with the exception of rusk and other dual colours. X

Be interesting to see what the
More experienced colour technicians say x

You can't dilute a permanent to make a semi. If you do try, you will just get a translucent cover, that looks wishey-washey and not last 5 mins. The molecule size is different in a permanent colour than a semi colour.
You would be better off just buying a tube of semi or using a dual purpose product ( I am not a fan of these).
You can't cut corners with colour, just buy the right product! :)

The main differance between the 2 is that the molecules are larger in a semi. i have successfully used a semi on porous ends after using permanent on grey roots, as it holds better than a permanent on porous. It can be applied dry hair too.
I like the idea of the converter to change permanent to semi, otherwise the colour bath idea is ok IF you really cant get the real thing in time

My Goldwell rep suggested if we run out of colorance demi to use Topchic permanent with clear colorance added 50/50 and it makes a demi - of course we never run out of stock so we have never needed to do that...that not true of course LOL!...We have tried it and I think Sophisticutz is def right it fades much quicker - I guess the truth is if you want the right results you must use the right products and in the end hope your clients are happy to pay a fair price for that professionalism.

PS And never run out of stock x

Latest posts

Back