diluting permanent to semi

fayevix

This may sound a bit simple coming from a hairdresser.
But over the years, iv got into the habit of only using permanent colour, as I didnt want to stock both semi and permanent.
I have a client in on wednesday, who wants to be a base 5, in semi, il only be taking her a shade darker.
Can anybody remind me the correct mixing ratio to turn a permanent colour into a semi permanent colour?? normally id use use 5/0 and 3%
Thanks in advance
Faye x

nictombay

Hi I too only stock permenant colour as I am mobile, I hace a client who is a 6 with a few greys so I use a Rusk 5 and mix like a colour bath. 60ml warm water 15 of colour and 15 of 6% works a treat and she gets full coverage with gradual fade rather than roots.:)

angelina221

Master Lash Tech
You know, Affinage do a product called Converter, which converts any permanent colour into a semi. Worth noting for future use as you don't need to stock a load of semis, you can just carry a bottle of converter instead :)

fayevix

candis

Also rusk are dual colours! use with 3, 6,9 or 12 for permanent and 1.9 for semi 's / demis and toners
Fab products and well handy being mobile :) xx

lauren89

This may sound a bit simple coming from a hairdresser.
But over the years, iv got into the habit of only using permanent colour, as I didnt want to stock both semi and permanent.
I have a client in on wednesday, who wants to be a base 5, in semi, il only be taking her a shade darker.
Can anybody remind me the correct mixing ratio to turn a permanent colour into a semi permanent colour?? normally id use use 5/0 and 3%
Thanks in advance
Faye x

I'm probably gonna sound really stupid here but anyway
Wouldn't mixing 5/0 with 3% still make it permanent?
And aren't semi colours not mixed with anything? Wouldn't mixing it with peroxide make it a quasi?
X

candis

5/0 with 3% still permanent yes, maybe with 1.9% but I've never tried that I thought permanent was permanent I thought it had different molecules etc to that of a semi or Demi ?!? X

lauren89

5/0 with 3% still permanent yes, maybe with 1.9% but I've never tried that I thought permanent was permanent I thought it had different molecules etc to that of a semi or Demi ?!? X
That's what i thought aswel, obviously with the exception of rusk and other dual colours. X

candis

Be interesting to see what the
More experienced colour technicians say x

-sophisticutz-

You can't dilute a permanent to make a semi. If you do try, you will just get a translucent cover, that looks wishey-washey and not last 5 mins. The molecule size is different in a permanent colour than a semi colour.
You would be better off just buying a tube of semi or using a dual purpose product ( I am not a fan of these).
You can't cut corners with colour, just buy the right product! :)

squeakygeek

The main differance between the 2 is that the molecules are larger in a semi. i have successfully used a semi on porous ends after using permanent on grey roots, as it holds better than a permanent on porous. It can be applied dry hair too.
I like the idea of the converter to change permanent to semi, otherwise the colour bath idea is ok IF you really cant get the real thing in time

Alex-Lydia

My Goldwell rep suggested if we run out of colorance demi to use Topchic permanent with clear colorance added 50/50 and it makes a demi - of course we never run out of stock so we have never needed to do that...that not true of course LOL!...We have tried it and I think Sophisticutz is def right it fades much quicker - I guess the truth is if you want the right results you must use the right products and in the end hope your clients are happy to pay a fair price for that professionalism.

PS And never run out of stock x