Dip n go problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eskimonailtech

Reaction score
Okay, so I followed the instructions to a T on the Star Nail dip n go kit. I found 3 dips made the nails way too thick. Also, there was a lot of filing to be done and the resin ran everywhere. Even under her nails. They're also grainy and such.

It also took me two hours. I could've done a full sculpted set of gels in that time. :cry: I'm frustrated and discouraged. Thankfully, it was on my mom so she wasn't a paying client. However I want to be able to do nails for her in the future and I chose this system because I thought it would be less filing time and still give (hopefully) a good result. I told her not to tell anyone that I did them because they were like 80 times worse than my first set of gels lol!!!!!!

These were the instructions that i followed:

prep cuticles, lightly buff nails, apply white tips, etch tips, apply resin with a brushing motion, dip, apply resin with a dabbing motion, dip, apply resin with a dabbing motion, dip, apply resin with a dabbing motion and spray gel activator and repeat. Then file and buff with a 3-way buffer.

What gives? :confused:

If you're applying that many layers, you need to section them to build your apex but also so that it doesn't wind up being so thick at the sidewalls/eponychium/free-edge.

And after you dip, do you brush off/tap off the excess powder from the nail, before apply the next layer of resin?

If they are grainy, that means that there was too much powder (usually), or too much resin, or too much of both.
Resin should be applied very thinly and sparingly. Not painted on like polish and not like base gel either. A little goes a long way.

I created this thread way back and the photo in it is terrible, so use it only as a loose guideline, but maybe it will help a little bit.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/90652-apex-tip-n-dip-thin-self-levelling-gels.html

Thanks victoria. I actually did read that thread before I did it today. :green:

I did brush off the excess between applying it, but maybe i put too much resin on. Am I right in thinking that I shouldn't have to file as much as say, non-self-leveling gels? That was just my impression from a video I saw. It barely looked like she needed to do ANY filing. They looked great right after the dip.

The amount of filing is determined on 'your' application. Whether it's tip-n-dip, uv gel, or L&P (acrylic).
Although, yes, tip-n-dip is thinner (or should be, and if not, you're overloading on product), so in some ways, it might seem like less filing.

Which video are you referring to? Is it online?

Well, I didn't watch the whole video.. half was plenty.
Now, I don't know how ALL brands work, so I'm basing my answer on my experience with 3 different brands.

I do NOT think that is the best video for teaching. One concern is the double layering of resin and applying all 5 fingers at the same time, giving it the chance to spread and flood the sidewalls and eponychium.
I don't want to criticize and pick it apart, but I found a lot of problems with it, so I'll stop there.
Personally, I would NOT try to learn from that video. That is not the way I would do things.

As for brushing off excess, and it coming off in clumps, what kind of brush are you using? It shouldn't be doing that. You should be 'dusting' off the excess. Light strokes. I used to use a brush similar to the brush used to dust the nape of the neck free of hair after a cut, but smaller. But they always got gummed up over time. Now I simply tap the client's finger tilted sideways, to sort of bump off the excess.

The best advice I can give you is to attend a one-to-one with a local distributor/trainer. That will sort most of your issues.

sorry:hug:

Ah, okay. I was using a soft bristled gel brush. I definitely am sure I used WAY too much resin lol. I've always been a gel girl so this is a huge difference for me. I'll give it another go in a week or two and see how it works.

Thanks so much for your help! :hug:

OMG!!!!

you would not believe what i did. I decided to try this method on myself, using black tips. i figure i can get away with it.

anyways, they're still grainy, but i did do a lot less shaping. my other issue is that when i do shape, i can't seem to get the scratch marks out of the nail before i buff. so i ended up having to put clear polish on it. other than those two problems, they look fairly good.

my other issue i had, the best part, was when i knocked the resin bottle over, spilled it on the kitchen floor AND THEN ACCIDENTALLY STEPPED IN IT. really. not only did it burn but it also left a layer of my foot on the floor. :eek: i'm so frustrated. i'm almost at the point of maybe trying out l&p. i think maybe i'll have better luck with it at this point!!!!

oh, and for the record, i'll say that tip n dip is an art of it's own!!!!! i can do gels, but i can't do these properly lol

:smack:

Latest posts

Back