Dip nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maplenails

Reaction score
I have been seeing a lot of good and bad reviews on dip nails. Some nail techs I trust say it’s bad while I can’t find any articles stating otherwise or photos of damaged nails I’ve been told it causes. Is dip nails a good method?? I can’t imagine how it would be healthier than gel or acrylic. Seems unsanitary and a bit lazy to me. Can anyone explain how it works (ingredients) & if I should offer it to clients?

I offer Cuccio Powder Dip alongside hard gel enhancements, just as an alternative option for some clients. I haven't had any Nail damage after using/removing it (its's soak off). It isn't unsanitary because you would have thoroughly sanitised the clients hands and nails prior to the treatment and you wouldn't be treating anyone with any contagious conditions anyway.

My one concern with it is that it seems lots of home users see it being promoted as a simple, quick and hard wearing System so think they can do it themselves. For a qualified nail tech it IS a much simpler system to use, but I have seen some horrific results done by unqualified DIYers and I think it cheapens the product a bit. It's not just a case of slapping on layers of the gel and dipping in the pot - it can get very thick around the cuticles and sidewalls if your not careful!

Last edited:
Ok so I’ve tried both systems. Dipping acrylics and conventional CND acrylics.

I really don’t like the dipping ones for the following reasons: (I used SNS.)

You cannot create a nice arch, they are often very flat looking.

They are too thin and break very easily. Or if you put on more product, it’s too thick in the wrong places.

A client had a severe allergic reaction to the product and never, in all my years of doing them has a client ever reacted to CND acrylics.

Maple - Dip nails are definitely not lazy. I found it challenging to get right, particularly if you're seeking to do a more natural look. A misstep at any stage means the nail looks terrible. I've been using OPI Powder Perfection since it was released. I primarily used shellac before. I've seen zero nail damage with it as long as it is soaked off (which takes a long time). Chipping it off is very damaging.

That said, it's really more like a gel in the sense that you can't really enhance the nail in the same way you enhance with acrylic. But if you strategically build the base coat and powder in the arch area of the nail, file it smooth, you can get a nicer arch than you'd get with shellac. Or I put on extra layers of clear powder, and file it a little more heavily at the tip for a thinner tip and a slight arch. I stopped following OPI's directions to the letter. I found that if I didn't file between the clear powdered layers when going for a more natural look, you could see the crystals of the powder.

I offered it after trying it on myself for a long time. I do a mix of base coat + clear and white powders (50% each) to create a softened white tip. I file it so it's smooth and more subtle. I'm not a fan of the harsh white tips. Then I do two layers of the base/clear powder over this, filing in between the thoroughly dried layers. Then I apply the activator. Let it dry for a bit, lightly sand. Apply another layer of activator. Letting dry thoroughly. Finally I follow with two coats of the shiny top coat, wiping the top coat brush between the layers of a folded paper towel after the application on each nail. This prevents that gloopy top coat problem.

So you see, it's actually not lazy. To do it right, your client will see all the work that goes into it. I've attached a photo that probably isn't the best example, as it's my own nails. It's harder to do it on yourself and get it perfect. But this was just using clear over the nail, and white/clear mix at tip. It's great for people with thin nails who are looking for a gel look but need something more durable. I still prefer Shellac for ease, but this works too. Most can go full two weeks without lifting as long as it is prepped well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 9.27.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 9.27.44 PM.png
    182 KB · Views: 111
I dont like the idea purely since there have been many dip acrylic systems avail for the public however it’s all down to personal choice. As mentioned above you can provide an excellent service using anything you feel happy with but perhaps book to have your nails done at a salon who used this method before committing to outlaying money for a product you can’t get on with .

I have not been in the nail world for very long, only 5 months. I want to offer what’s best for my clients but I’m still leery about dip nails. Part of me doesn’t want to offer them but part of me does because a nail tech near me has much more business than I do and she offers them. I feel like I’m in a rut and I feel like giving up. It takes me 2.5-3 hours to complete a set of acrylics and something about dip nails just seems not quite right to me I just wish I had all the knowledge I needed

I offer dip nails but I personally find they sit best between gel polish and acrylic enhancements. I find if clients can't keep gel polish on they are good candidates for dip systems but if I was to extend the nails I would always go for my standard acrylic or hard gel application as I feel the dip system is best suited to natural nail overlays or at a push short tips. Also as it's a powder bacteria/ infection shouldn't be able to breed or spread.

I offer dip nails but I personally find they sit best between gel polish and acrylic enhancements. I find if clients can't keep gel polish on they are good candidates for dip systems but if I was to extend the nails I would always go for my standard acrylic or hard gel application as I feel the dip system is best suited to natural nail overlays or at a push short tips.
I agree with you. That said, if my daughter wants nail extensions in a hurry I often use the powder Dip system and just apply more of the gel over the stress areas and build a bit of an apex. She even has quite long extensions and they still seem to last ok.

There is another salon in my area that charge a bit extra to soak off products that have been applied by someone else, not unusual here with so many cheap nail bars around, the stuff they use is a nightmare to soak off. What caught my attention though is that they specifically state in bold lettering that they won't entertain soaking off SNS at all.

Now I'm wondering if faster application comes at a price, when it comes to removal is it harder to do and takes a lot longer?

There is another salon in my area that charge a bit extra to soak off products that have been applied by someone else, not unusual here with so many cheap nail bars around, the stuff they use is a nightmare to soak off. What caught my attention though is that they specifically state in bold lettering that they won't entertain soaking off SNS at all.

Now I'm wondering if faster application comes at a price, when it comes to removal is it harder to do and takes a lot longer?
Cuccio's isn't too bad to remove really. I file the top coat to break the seal and then soak in acetone and it probably takes about 10 mins but it is quite sticky and gloopy when it comes off. If I'm totally honest I don't think I'll buy any more colours (I've got 16 and they're predominantly summery colours).

Kiara Sky is the product I have been looking in to purchasing if I decide to use it.. does anyone use that?

How much does anyone charge for it? I’m not sure how to set my prices

Any enhancement product will not inherently damage the natural nail. Maintenance and removal is what does this.

Dip systems are one of the oldest ways of enhancing nails. Its really just a cousin to wrap systems where you use polymer powder instead of fibreglass or linen.

The pros: Easy to get a basic enhancement on decent natural nails. Low propensity for allergic reaction.
The cons: A bugger to remove (compared to their wrap cousins). Hard to get shape. Little strength. Most applications will get you in trouble with US state board.

This current iteration of dip popularity is being driven by muti coloured powders. That sort of baffles me. Why not just use single coloured + polish?

Latest posts

Back