Dipping powder help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michedoesnails

Reaction score
I've recently been working with kiara sky dip powders and my clientele is growing for this service. I've done a handful of sets but am having some issues. Any suggestions would be appreciated. See below for issues.

1) Did a fill today of a French manicure with the powder, had some lifting so had to file a lot off of those nails. My question is, when doing a fill do you do the step where you do base layer on 3/4 of the nail and do the natural powder or do I just go in with the white and then pink/Natural twice. Same with color dip fills, go in with the natural then color or just color? Also, it's taking me a Lot of time to file down, which bit do u suggest?

2) I have a lot of bulk to get rid of once all the dipping is done. What bit do u suggest for filing down the bulk without taking off the color? Am I doing something wrong here because they are really thick.

3) Some of the nails on the same set aren't shiny once the 2 top coats are applied, they fade back to matte. Am I not filing enough? I've seen a lot of questions about the shine but no real answers.

4) have you tried the dip with gel polish? Did on a client and came out way too thick here also. Gel usually is thick but I expected that but I wonder if only doing one dip of the natural would work instead of 2. Also, kiara sky instructions don't call for a base coat before the color gel polish. I did apply anyways but not sure if it's necessary or not. Trying to work on my timing too.

Thanks for taking the time out to read this. Hopefully it all makes sense and hoping someone can help.

I've recently been working with kiara sky dip powders and my clientele is growing for this service. I've done a handful of sets but am having some issues. Any suggestions would be appreciated. See below for issues.

1) Did a fill today of a French manicure with the powder, had some lifting so had to file a lot off of those nails. My question is, when doing a fill do you do the step where you do base layer on 3/4 of the nail and do the natural powder or do I just go in with the white and then pink/Natural twice. Same with color dip fills, go in with the natural then color or just color? Also, it's taking me a Lot of time to file down, which bit do u suggest?

2) I have a lot of bulk to get rid of once all the dipping is done. What bit do u suggest for filing down the bulk without taking off the color? Am I doing something wrong here because they are really thick.

3) Some of the nails on the same set aren't shiny once the 2 top coats are applied, they fade back to matte. Am I not filing enough? I've seen a lot of questions about the shine but no real answers.

4) have you tried the dip with gel polish? Did on a client and came out way too thick here also. Gel usually is thick but I expected that but I wonder if only doing one dip of the natural would work instead of 2. Also, kiara sky instructions don't call for a base coat before the color gel polish. I did apply anyways but not sure if it's necessary or not. Trying to work on my timing too.

Thanks for taking the time out to read this. Hopefully it all makes sense and hoping someone can help.
I use Kiara Sky dipping powder, as well as some other brands. I will try and answer what I can with my experience. To avoid the product from becoming too thick, I am careful to apply very thin layers of the base, and I only do one nail at a time. I usually do one coat 2/3 of the nail, 2 color coats, and one clear coat. I have found that I don't like to use their top coat, I use a gel top coat and it seems to work fine.

I used a ceramic safety bit, fine or medium grit. I also use a cuticle bit to make sure it is flush at the cuticle.

As far as gel polish goes, I have used the natural dipping powder to create an overlay with gel polish on top if they don't like the colors I have. Just apply the gel polish after buffing!

I use Kiara Sky dipping powder, as well as some other brands. I will try and answer what I can with my experience. To avoid the product from becoming too thick, I am careful to apply very thin layers of the base, and I only do one nail at a time. I usually do one coat 2/3 of the nail, 2 color coats, and one clear coat. I have found that I don't like to use their top coat, I use a gel top coat and it seems to work fine.

I used a ceramic safety bit, fine or medium grit. I also use a cuticle bit to make sure it is flush at the cuticle.

As far as gel polish goes, I have used the natural dipping powder to create an overlay with gel polish on top if they don't like the colors I have. Just apply the gel polish after buffing!

Thank you for your reply. I do the same steps as you and only do one nail at a time as well, maybe I'm applying too much base coat. Will def try to do thin layers. I don't care for their top coat either, not to mention the brush broke off the cap the first time I used it. The company is sending a new cap and brush which is awesome, good customer service. I will also try a cuticle bit for around cuticle area. Slowly getting more comfortable with the e-file. Thanks again!!

Latest posts

Back