Dirty Nails...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonitigercharli

Reaction score
Hi,

Can I just ask a question...if you have a client who always has dirty nails and you have to always "dig" the dirt out from under their nails :irked: what would you do??????
Thanks in advance x

hi!
i have one lady who always looks as if shes been dusing her hands to dig mud, i think to my self as im scraping the dirt out "why couldnt she do this before she got here" ha ha. i try and get as much out as possible, sometimes even soak the nail but its not always possible to get it all out. i just try my best .....
xx

I actually ended up buying one of them a nailbrush!!! She was terrible lol...I was friendly with her though and she didnt mind. Point is,I think sometimes they think its your job to clean the dirt from under their nails when, if it was me-I would want to do that before they got there as Id feel too embarrassed!!

I point her towards the nail brush at the sink, and to the "Nailbrite' bottle and suggest that she give her nails a whitening treatment...to remove stains from the nailplate under the free edge..........

(and then more or less, teach her how to clean under her own nails properly):rolleyes:
Then if necessary, afterwards, hand her a file to go digging.

I don't understand how people can eat with hands that dirty...
OR
HOW they get that dirty to begin with.........

My own nails are NEVER black underneath... even when gardening (I wear gloves...)...

And I know I'm going to get yelled at for this... but oh well...

I do nail enhancements. I do nail art and manicures.
I do NOT take care of a client's personal hygiene.
Their dirt, they can clean it.
I don't know what it is, or where it came from and so I am NOT touching it.

I have my limits, and that is one of them.

Dust and debris from filing... no problem.
But if it's black or any other crazy colour... nope... not touching it.

Hi,
When this has happened to me.....spot it during initial consultation, I sweetly ask them to pop into our washroom and give their nails a good clean with our nail brush, telling them this will help me with the making of their new enhancements. It always works.......sometimes I have had to make a light hearted joke of have you been diging up potatoes????
One girl told me no, it was horse muck as she had just come from the stables where she kept her horse.......she was told to scrub them well!!!!
Lotsa luv x :hug: x

yeah i just always very politely say now before we start il just get you to give your nails a wash and there is a nail brush there so just help yourself and then we will get started on the manicure,

Hi,
When this has happened to me.....spot it during initial consultation, I sweetly ask them to pop into our washroom and give their nails a good clean with our nail brush, telling them this will help me with the making of their new enhancements. It always works.......sometimes I have had to make a light hearted joke of have you been diging up potatoes????
One girl told me no, it was horse muck as she had just come from the stables where she kept her horse.......she was told to scrub them well!!!!
Lotsa luv x :hug: x

This made me laugh!! .. I had a client this who had a smell of "you know what" from her hands and I was so shocked I just did her file and french paint and held my breath!!

It has made me wonder since though.. what are clients doing before they sit in front of me?... I don't really have the facility to ask clients to wash their hands like I used to in my previous salon.

Should I have a bowl of soapy water on my desk and ask clients to wash their hands first.. what does everyone else do??? (I always spray with a sanitiser but I know that's not enough)

I point her towards the nail brush at the sink, and to the "Nailbrite' bottle and suggest that she give her nails a whitening treatment...to remove stains from the nailplate under the free edge..........

(and then more or less, teach her how to clean under her own nails properly):rolleyes:
Then if necessary, afterwards, hand her a file to go digging.

I don't understand how people can eat with hands that dirty...
OR
HOW they get that dirty to begin with.........

My own nails are NEVER black underneath... even when gardening (I wear gloves...)...

And I know I'm going to get yelled at for this... but oh well...

I do nail enhancements. I do nail art and manicures.
I do NOT take care of a client's personal hygiene.
Their dirt, they can clean it.
I don't know what it is, or where it came from and so I am NOT touching it.

I have my limits, and that is one of them.

Dust and debris from filing... no problem.
But if it's black or any other crazy colour... nope... not touching it.

LOL!! Oh this did make me laugh...:lol: .. thats the thing, I think that I would NEVER expect someone to clean my nails for me and as I am mobile I am limited to the amount of stuff I can carry round in my case and I dont think 2 manicure bowls, a nailbrush and soap should have to be top of my list!! Years ago, I had a client run in to the salon (when I worked in a salon..) at 9am who had obviously just woken up, her hair was everywhere she hadnt even brushed her teeth and her nails were full of barbeque sauce from the ribs she had eaten the night before!!:eek: Oh my heart sank when I saw them!!! :rolleyes: I would be MORTIFIED if I sat in front of someone with nails like that, just as I would if my hair was greasy and dirty in front of a hairdresser! x

LOL!! Oh this did make me laugh...:lol: .. thats the thing, I think that I would NEVER expect someone to clean my nails for me and as I am mobile I am limited to the amount of stuff I can carry round in my case and I dont think 2 manicure bowls, a nailbrush and soap should have to be top of my list!! Years ago, I had a client run in to the salon (when I worked in a salon..) at 9am who had obviously just woken up, her hair was everywhere she hadnt even brushed her teeth and her nails were full of barbeque sauce from the ribs she had eaten the night before!!:eek: Oh my heart sank when I saw them!!! :rolleyes: I would be MORTIFIED if I sat in front of someone with nails like that, just as I would if my hair was greasy and dirty in front of a hairdresser! x

Could not agree more. Would someone go to the dentist w/o brushing their teeth? How 'bout going to the OB GYN w/o washing you know where? No. I don't believe how some folks come in with their nails. I ask them to 'scrub up with the brush' in the ladies room.

OMG! I know what i'd like to say to them.

I always ask them to wash their hands and if there is a build up of dirt I point it out to them and (politely) say "pay particular attention to that part" it doesn't sound as rude as it reads honest.

When I've had this, I've always pointed them at the sink and nail brush and then handed them an orange stick and paper towel to dig out the rest with and I tell them that I'm asking them to do this because I'm worried that if I do it and slip that I'll cause them pain.
Which is the truth. What I don't get is how some people have nails that seem to be dirt magnets.
I don't wear gloves when I garden, I like the feel of the soil on my hands etc and when I'm done I wash my hands, nothing special, foaming cleanser, nail brush, warm water and then hand cream. I don't scrub hard or have to soak my hands for several minutes but I don't have this problem. I had a regular client who was always in the garden when I got to her place, same thing.
So what the heck are these people doing that makes it so tough to get the dirt of?
On second thoughts DON'T TELL ME!!!:Scared:

Before each service I hand all clients a nail brush with a squirt of Antibacterial Cleanser/Soap and have them go and wash their hands. The client automatically scrubs underneath her nails as she has been personally given the brush. When the client comes to the nail table I then Sanitize and continue with the service.

I find this an effective method so that neither myself or the client feels uncomfortable.

At the end of the enhancement service I then give the client another brush with antibacterial cleanser/soap and some exfoliant on the back of her hand, again she goes and scrubs and exfoliates her hands (great for removing any left over dust from under her nails and also prepares her hands for handcream) While client is at the wash basin I clear my nail station, disinfect implements and work services. Client then receives hand cream and she leaves the salon with beautifully cleaned nails and soft and smooth hands.

It is worth the effort as she is my walking advertisement billboard.:lol:

I had this problem once where I had to thoroughly clean underneath someones nails underneath, thing was she was a fellow student who after I did her manicure did me a facial. Imagine if it she had done my facial first!

anne xx

I agree with Victoria - I do not clean and dig about under clients nails.

I give them an orange wood stick & a tissue, when they're done I open the bin lid for them to put the tissue in and tell them they can keep the stick - and I ask them if they have a nail brush at home. It's amazing how many people don't.:eek: So I sell them one.
I once had a client who had 'discoloured' nail plates under free edge on a couple of nails and she was adamant it wasn't dirt staining etc and said she scrubs her nails religiously. She was making an issue out of it as if it was my fault she had this staining as if I should be cleaning it out.
I politely informed her that she should use a nail brush and she still said it wasn't dirt. So, I turned her fingers over and popped some cuticle away under the free edge, got my cnd probe and gently scraped the gunk out revealing a clean free edge. She was amazed at the gunk and apologised to me and said she would scrub up better - it's never happened again with her.
I do believe some people just don't wash their hands from one day to the next - mine are washed about 20 times a day! I've noticed it's people who have like shiny grainy dry skin iykwim.
When I was mobile, I had a client who I knew didn't wash her hands hardly ever - and I used to tell her to wash them as I sat at her kitchen table and watched - she'd turn the tap on, pass her fingers quickly under the water and out and dry them - they never really got chance to get wet.
And, what about those people who use the loo & don't wash their hands? My loo is separate to the bathroom, which is next door to it. I wait at the foot of the stairs and the amount of people that just come straight out and down the stairs!!!!! I overdose them on cool blue then. I can't bring myself to shout up the stairs 'Oi! Don't forget to wash your hands after!!!!!'
I have said to suspects that it's Ok to wash your hands (if it's in the middle of a service and it is ok to do that) and say the bathroom is next to the loo & they still just walk out:irked:

I had a lady who always came in with filthy, mucky nails! It was made worse as I have a terrible gag reflex, and an over active imagination so I would be fighting not to heave the whole time!
In the end I politely told her that it wasnt my job to clean out her nails, and would be grateful if she could clean them prior to appmt, or Im more than happy to let her clean them when she gets here. She was fine about it and now has clean nails:lol:
Just as a point, i never understood why this lady would come in every week, without fail for a manicure, (she obviously wanted nice looking nails) then walk around with them full of god knows what! I dont get it!:confused:

I dont and I wont, if a nail brush wont help then it can stay there i'm not gonna prod in sensitive areas! Its very bad hygiene and I think the problem is that peopel do not actually know how to wash their hands. When I did my teaching diploma I gave a five minute talk on hand washing. my fellow classmates were gobsmacked and if you take into consideration that my entire class was made up of hair, beauty & holistic therapists it was quite shocking.

Some of these posts are disgusting, nope, I mean those clients are disgusting, how on earth can people be like that ? , I would be so embarrassed, it's given me thought for when I start up on my own.

If only they realised the bugs under their nails ? omg....

I'm constantly washing my hands, even if I just stroke the dog, I'm a bit fuuny about cross contamination lol, its down to having worked in a hospital and having kids:lol: or boardering ocd lol

I had a lady last Saturday, and I said to her what have you got under your nail,? There was this brown/red gunk all under her nail, and she said " Oh I had a nose bleed LAST :eek: Monday"!!!!! EEEWWWWW!!!!!

I had a lady last Saturday, and I said to her what have you got under your nail,? There was this brown/red gunk all under her nail, and she said " Oh I had a nose bleed LAST :eek: Monday"!!!!! EEEWWWWW!!!!!

EXACTLY!!! I don't understand it at all... people make more fuss washing their hair and face, and their butt than they do their hands.
Crazy world....

Hmmm now see I do scrape & clean them ... maybe i shouldnt...

If they are really awful i will scrub them in the mani bowl with some cirtus soak...

Hmmm am thinking should i/shouldnt i ???

They come for me to do their nails....when you go to the hairdressers they wash it...

Undecided here...

Latest posts

Back